Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
This is what you get for sitting on a pile of unused cash.. multiple billions of $$...

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Shouldn't matter if multiple suppliers are used as a source for components; however, it is Apple's responsibility to make sure the contracted components meets their quality standards and that those standards are specifically stated in the contract.

Now if they can prove that Apple knew there was an issue and consciously lowered their standard to meet production demands.........

but if you dealt with a trusted supplier for years and years you will take their word for it. im not absolving apple of blame but at the same time LG should get their ***** together and make better screens.

Minja

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
this class action talk prompted me to ask if there was ever a class action suit against apple for the iMac dusty screen problem that has plagued all iMacs for years and years and apple never changed the design of the iMac to solve this problem. it did replace screens in the warranty period but it never addressed the hastle iMac owners had with their computer. my screen turned ugly just months after it was replaced. apple knew for years that their design was bad but they did nothing about it. we'll see if this new laminanted display has changed the problem,,,:mad::mad:

aukermania

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Way To Solve It

In order to resolve this issue do the following:

• Replace the Mac for free with a new model (the new model fixes the issue hopefully)
  • Give each customer (not per MacBook) a $1,000 gift card to Apple for their troubles (take it out of that huge lump of cash they want to give back…even thought it comes right back to Apple sales)
  • Send each customer and three guests to Disneyland in California for an unforgettable experience

Those things should work flawlessly, and cause the customer to have a better relationship with Apple. End of story. :apple:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Apple needs to fight this. Loudly and publicly.

They need to reiterate that if you choose to sue Apple, you will be destroyed.

Loudly and publicly.

So it's okay to sell a faulty product then?

Apple need to sort out their suppliers to prevent this from happening again. Not intimidate their customers into retreat.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
I have a retina mac with the LG screen. This has been a virtual non-issue for me. I do see the ghosting periodically. It goes away quickly, and is not noticeable enough to actually bother me or disrupt my ability to work on the laptop. Do I think it would be nice for this to not exist? Sure. Am I willing to sue Apple over it? No chance.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Exactly. If it was something that occurs within a few minutes of normal use, that would be lawsuit ready. If it's something that requires a specific brightness setting, lack of any power saving or screen saver use, and an abnormally long period of time with a static screen...not so much.

As someone who has one I can safely say the issue happens through normal use. Have it loaded on a webpage, go to the kitchen for a minute to grab a drink come back and load one of my CS6 apps with their grey interfaces and you can pretty much read the text from the webpage you were on before still. I had to make the screensaver activate after 2 minutes to mitigate this to a certain degree, which only helps half the time for instances I'm away or inactive on the machine, not if I'm actively using the machine-reading something for a few minutes and then switch apps.

The only thing I hope comes from the class action is that apple acknowledges it as faulty behaviour and has a screen replacement program, like back in the 8600gt days.

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
I have a retina mac with the LG screen. This has been a virtual non-issue for me. I do see the ghosting periodically. It goes away quickly, and is not noticeable enough to actually bother me or disrupt my ability to work on the laptop. Do I think it would be nice for this to not exist? Sure. Am I willing to sue Apple over it? No chance.

Out of curiosity, if you saw a memo from Tim Cook that basically stated; "let it go thru; we will deal with it latter; half the saps out there won't even notice it or are so big on apple they won't say anything". If that memo came out in a lawsuit, would you still not be willing to sue over it? Just saying.....

grey02

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Asia
Read about this yesterday. Finally! A shame it doesn't have to do with the displays themselves. Just Apple not acknowledging it.

Yes I am very sure the ghosting just happened with the user doing anything to let the image burnt into the screen.

Perhaps he just a teenage and completely ignorant of the purpose of a screen saver.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Not a fault (from the horses mouth). Here is apples official stance.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

All a genius needs to do is point you to this site and leave. You were treated fairly and that is great. This isn't everyone's experience.

----------

Because according to their official stance it isn't defective. Did you read the class action?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

Oh FFS, that article is referring to the fact that all IPS displays have this issue. If you leave something constant on the Samsung display for a long time it'll have image persistence too.

This is not referring to the much shorter time it takes for it to happen on some of the LG screens.

As I said, can anyone provide here a documented case of Apple refusing to exchange the defective screen? So far, the answer is no. Thus, no lawsuit needed, Apple is already taking care of the problem.

menithings

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Los Angeles
This is a non issue

I had the image retention problem on my 15" MBPR. I brought it in to my local Apple store store and a Genius performed a test by displaying a checkerboard for 5 minutes and then switching to a black screen, but image retention wasn't immediately apparent because it's most noticeable on a grey screen. He then let me show him. It was obvious. He agreed and said the screen would be replaced between 3-5 days.

Less than 24 hours later my repaired Mac was ready. IR problem gone. The service was amazing.

The Genius said they perform the test because there are some people that come in because they hear of the problem but don't have it themselves. The image retention they get is the normal type when you leave an LCD on for a day.

Anyway Apple was awesome and professional about the replacement. Don't see why the hell a clas action lawsuit is necessary.

gwsmith

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Not true. Apple stores will replace your ghosted screen for free.

Well, I called in about screen ghosting a few months ago and was told by the Apple rep that it was normal, how all the retinas behave. Hah!

I was in a coffee shop yesterday and compared my book with another mbp retina and lo and behold, they didn't have the ghosting issue. Mine happens immediately. The image doesn't have to be there more than a few seconds before there's ghosting. I'm on hold with Apple now scheduling a mail in repair.

I hate that Apple did that.

The company is definitely going downhill. A couple of years ago my mail in repairs were overnighted and fixed within a day or two. The rep on the phone now is telling me that it will take 3-5 business days for each leg of the shipping (receive box, ship to Apple, ship back from Apple); plus 3-5 days for repair. This is very upsetting. Thank God I have another computer.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
So it's okay to sell a faulty product then?

Apple need to sort out their suppliers to prevent this from happening again. Not intimidate their customers into retreat.

Oh give us a break. Of course it's not ok to sell a faulty product. Nobody claimed it was. Join us here in reality. Apple is fixing the problem. If it happens to you, take it in to Apple - they'll fix it. Problem solved.

mrmiagi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
The ghosting issue is a serious problem. I have a retina and it is terrible to have to deal with ghosting along with multiple stuck pixels now. Getting ready to take it in to the Apple Store now that I live close to one. The retina macbook has been a total PITA and I am a rabid Apple product lover. Not this one though.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
I did not have any at the beginning on my LG panel now 2 months later its constant and getting worse. My screen also developed 2 white spots towards the bottom left corner so i have it bad going both ways.

Very disappointed.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yes I am very sure the ghosting just happened with the user doing anything to let the image burnt into the screen.

Perhaps he just a teenage and completely ignorant of the purpose of a screen saver.

The worst case scenarios involve ghosting after looking at something for about 30 seconds. If you need to turn on your screen saver every half minute to keep an image from burning in, you've got faulty hardware.

You know, these things are bound to happen. Every computer company in the world has had to face some funky hardware issue at some point or another. Apple isn't exempt here. As long as you're able to get it fixed or swapped out for a functional machine, everything's fine.

But I'll tell you one thing. It's not something I'd "just tolerate". It's a $2000 laptop. I expect it to work perfectly for at least 3 years. Hell, it's the major reason why you'd pay that much for a laptop in the first place. You don't plunk down a good chunk of change for good enough, or I can deal with it. You pay for perfectly functional, you expect perfectly functional, you should get perfectly functional.

kissnoob

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Bull. I I took mine into apple showed them the ghosting and they swapped it no questions asked. LG's fault.

As this is the case, how can there be a lawsuit?

If a manufacturer acknowledges a faulty product, they need to execute a recall of that product, not shifting that responsibility to customer.

In this case, Apple doesn't acknowledge a faulty product

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The problem is this is largely overblown. Sure some LG screens are faulty but not all of them are. Same goes with Samsung displays. All Apple wold need to do here is show that they are also replacing defective Samsung screens which they probably are. No body and certainly no manufacture is perfect. However comparatively to old technology like CRT tubes even an LG panel is a vast improvement.

I look at it this way, Apple does replace defective screens if the issue is brought up in a timely manner. If someone isn't willing to get their panel replaced in a timely manner is it really Apples fault? If Apple where to say no we won't ever replace such screens then the legal action might be justified.

Beyond all of that this is a release one of a product. It is the nature of technology based products to evolve over time. If you want to avoid problems never buy gen one devices. Under the current conditions this lawsuit makes no more sense than suing Apple for taking so long to push out the latest SMC update.

If Apple waited for firmware or operating systems to become perfect we would never see new Macs it is as simple as that. Likewise Apple can't wait for perfect parts from its suppliers. Take Intel for example, ever chip they release comes with an errta sheet for specific steppings of the die. If Apple where to wait for a flawless Intel processor we would again never see another new Mac. These days hardware evolves just like software.

So in a nut shell if Apple did nothing about this there would be legal justification but that isn't the case they do repair and exchange.

I don't get why people are saying that it's overkill to sue Apple over it. It's great. Apple needs to wake up and they can't just release products where it's a chance-game if you get a computer with the screen it should come with or if you get a computer with a faulty screen.

True, you can just go to Apple Store and get it replaced.. but that won't stop Apple from selling faulty machines.

If they realize that people aren't as stupid as they think people are, then that's a good thing. Better quality products being released is not a bad thing!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I do believe IR gets worse over time in situations that don't show it or show it mildly.

My iPad 4 in the 'iPad 4 image retention' thread showed it slightly. On a family member's iPad 3, it was terrible after 5 minutes of letting the checkered board stay up on the screen.

On another family member's iPad 2, which was quite a bit older, showed IR in like 2 seconds (the search bar was burnt in against a grey background, and I literally had been using it for 2 seconds!)

But nobody in my family has complained. Must just be me and my OCD.

Still, this is most unacceptable on a laptop where windows sit open for a very long time sometimes.

Tablets too, imo. But I could see how that would slip past one's radar more easily.

I'd say no foul if they corrected the issue with LG's instead of continuing to pump them out with the issue, with caveat emptor after the return policy is up (to stay in a retail situation) or dealing with a out of warranty swap if you begin noticing it after the included warranty is up (assuming you didn't get AppleCare or have AmEx double warranty, but still a PITA).

Seems inherent on every iPad 4 I've come across thus far but some claim that they don't.

I can also easily observe the subtle differences in contrast and text crispness between LG and Samsung screens on MBA, even though it's a TN panel and does not have IR in this case.

Glad I have a great iPad 3 and a Samsung'ed 2011 Air.

Even if I had the means for a rMBP right now, not sure I'd want to be playing the swap game.

I swapped my iPhone 5 out quite a bit too for vertical interlacing. And one phone was horrendously unstable or so i thought but it was really just a nasty bug that got ironed out in 6.1 onward.

Why not move to Android?

I like Apple products so much I keep swapping until I get a good one, and I keep getting iOS products even though I hate them stock (after buying iPhone 5 at launch, even though I enjoy/enjoyed the 4" screen and LTE and new design, I will never buy a stock iOS device again. It greatly hinders my overall experience).

Call me a fanboy, not a hater. But most certainly a hater of their 'Anything Goes' Quality Control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.