Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
Requiring 2 year warranties is stupid. It just raises prices for everyone. Let people choose if they want to pay for that extra 2 years of warranty instead of forcing them.

I REALLY hope your stuff brakes after 13 months. I REALLY DO!

----------

If apple could get away with offering 90 days warranty they would.

In the UK for a £2000 laptop Apple could be forced to fix a defect up to 5 years after purchase. This is because the price of the item affects how long it should reasonably work for after purchase.

As long as you dont drop it or spill stuff on it then generally its impossible for apple to prove that you broke it. Especially if a SSD or CPU or GPU or Screen dies.

Yanks are just pissy because they have no protection

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
More than a few of you are dismissing the fact AppleCare on computers extends the warranty an additional two years for a total of 3. When you throw in the phone support as well, I think the AppleCare is far distinguished from the standard one-year manufacturer's warranty, and the two-year warranty required by the EU.

elolaugesen

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Cost of Warrenty

Apple and other companies are frequently asked why their prices are higher in some countries than others??

Well the retail price of the product should be increased to reflect the two year warranty. and then reduce the additional apple warranty accordingly.

bottom line anyone buying the product and the warranty will pay the same.

cheers

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple, it's a well-articualated table that describes the coverage differences.

The problem is that Italy's government is used to just two consumer choices:
  1. 2-year government required coverage
  2. 2-year government required coverage
What is this AppleCare of which you speak?

Funny, right? But wait... Nobody prevents Apple from offering additional warranties - just like in US. Did you know that in US we also have government mandated minimum warranties? It's just way less than 2 years. I US we like to screw the little guy. Why require companies to offer 2 year warranties for free when they can do it for $200? Let rich guys be rich. We'll give food stamps to all the rest.

Jonesy135

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Bedfordshire, UK
Requiring 2 year warranties is stupid. It just raises prices for everyone. Let people choose if they want to pay for that extra 2 years of warranty instead of forcing them.

so you think people should pay extra so they can ensure they their kit doesnt break.... if you buy something (especially over £1000s worth of computer) it should work for atleast a couple of years.... you shouldnt have to pay extra to ensure this

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
There you go.

Gee, did'nt know they spoke German in Italy.

But your point is right. Apple have done this on a number if occasions (eg with the advertising of the '4G features of new iPad in non supported countries). They use the same medi promotions across countries without indiviualising to the local environment.

As for saying the Italians should learn how to read, well that's a bit harsh comming from those whow live in such a litigious country as the USA.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Well the retail price of the product should be increased to reflect the two year warranty. and then reduce the additional apple warranty accordingly.
The retail price is already increased but the additional Apple warranty costs about the same (in percentage terms).

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Simple.

Apple: This iPhone is $599 and 1 year extra warranty is $39(wholesale price) = $638
Italian: (&Q@#(*#&WTF. Unhappy.

Apple: This iPhone is $638 including 2 year warranty.
Italian: Happy.

Apple: This iPhone is $638 including 2 year warranty.
American: Unhappy.

Apple: This iPhone is $599 and 1 year extra warranty is $39(wholesale price) = $638
American: (&Q@#(*#&WTF. Unhappy.

Apple: This iPhone is $599. Optional 1 year extra warranty is $69(resale price).
American: Happy.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Now now Apple, Europe is NOT America, we do not have 3 months warranty....

Using mis selling tactics ignoring the law of the land equals fines and bans from the government agencies..

It's pretty despicable for a company as rich and big as Apple to try and flout that law of the land with mis selling.

Apple seems to have a habit of mis selling in Europe, but that's ok because the governments have a habit of fining and banning companies who practice that. Eventually they'll get fed up and hit them hard. They did it with Microsoft...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012

Do you really think it is unreasonable to expect a computer costing maybe £2000 to last for more than 12 months?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm tired of Apple ignoring compulsory warranties, they pretend it doesn't apply to them or something! It should be just as easy to get a faulty product fixed within two years than it is within a year, and they simply say that you're out of warranty after a year, which isn't true.

All I want is products that last more than a year. You can't be expected to buy a new Apple computer every year, that's just stupid.

By ignoring warranty, they are basically saying "We can't promise that your £2000 computer will work in a year, and that you won't have to buy a new one yourself." I can buy a car for that price that has 7 years of warranty! And Apple products tend to fail a lot more than they should in my experience.

Pretty much anything you buy has at least 2 or 3 years of warranty: cameras, hard drives, etc… And it makes sense, you expect these things to last for a few years, since you paid loads for them and it's not something you need to buy every year.

Last edited:
C

champ01

I think Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of Italy, including closing all of the iTunes, app and book stores.

I rather suspect it wouldn't be long before there was a new set of regulators overseeing that section of the Italian government.

Sure let companies rule the world....
We all know how that turned out. ;)

If Apple says their products are of great quality then they should give it the warranty.

If they don't it just shows how greedy Apple is.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: warranties

Requiring a 2 year warranty in order to sell a product in your country does strike me as "stupid". But only because I'm a believer in the "free market". Personally, I feel that government intervention almost always does more harm than good when it extends beyond guaranteeing the most basic of protections. (EG. I'm not necessarily against a "truth in labeling" law, because really, you're only enforcing the requirement that a seller honestly state the nature of what's being sold. It helps ensure a buyer can make an educated decision as to what he/she wants to purchase.)

That said, I live in the U.S.A. where I think the majority of us still believe in such ideas (even when our politicians don't always practice them because they cave in to special interests).

If I had a company in the U.S.A. doing international business, I'd have to realize there are a lot of costs and "gotchas" with selling goods or services elsewhere... So yeah, if this is the law and Apple keeps trying to dodge it? It's Apple's problem. Sucks for them they have such an ingrained business model of offering 1 year warranties and AppleCare options to add 2 more -- but obviously, that's incompatible with Italy's rules of commerce.

C

champ01

BTW... I bought my 17" MBP and got 3 years warranty (without apple care)
Why??? BECAUSE ITS A 2500,- EURO LAPTOP THATS WHY!!!

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Exactly, that would be what can be called misleading advertising. Except that I don't find that graphic on the Italian Apple website. Here is the main page on AppleCare which has a very small footnote (**) explaining the two-year warranty:
http://www.apple.com/it/support/products/

That footnote however is missing on the next page:
http://store.apple.com/it/browse/home/applecare

This whole discussion is one about nuances, ie, how prominent the explanation of the two-year warranty has to be. Without actually having read the Italian decision, we don't really know what exactly they want Apple to do. Just that they want Apple to do more than it currently does.

Here for the iMac, for example:

http://store.apple.com/it/product/MD007T/A

But you're right, without actually reading what the nuances are and what Apple is accused for we can only speculate

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
It's not about nuances - it's about lying

This whole discussion is one about nuances, ie, how prominent the explanation of the two-year warranty has to be. Without actually having read the Italian decision, we don't really know what exactly they want Apple to do. Just that they want Apple to do more than it currently does.

The standard "free from defect" warranty is two year; yet Apple's web-page shows the manufacturer warranty of one year. This is why the fine is justified.

Either, they add a third column - and spell out that the one-year manufacturer warranty is actually better (personally, I assume they are the same); or they change it to show two years of free repairs (repairs of defects that were present at the time of sale). This is the European law (Italy, Germany, etc are part of the EU by the way).

PS: I know from first-hand experience that Apple stores in EU do try to downplay the 2-year "free from defect" warranty. So it's not just about the web-site; it's about Apple's (read: Apple as seller to end-users) business practices as well. Usually, if you give the staff a hard time - they will accept it; but again: the law is clear; there should not be any argument in Apple stores (bricks-and mortar and on-line via 800-number).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
If they don't it just shows how greedy Apple is.

Of course it's bloody greedy!! :rolleyes: how else do you think it's ended up with billions in cash supplies, massive share prices, ridiculous record breaking profit? It's the reason it's products are made in sweat shops, they could easily have it's products made in America but won't because it's not a profitable.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
It's the same here in Norway. 2 year warranty, and apple always try to sell you Apple care. Can't blame them for trying that, but I never by it.
My iPhone 4 was starting to show a yellow tint and the camera lens was badly scratched. I sent it in for service and got a brand new phone in return. It would be 2 years old in August.
I'm happy I live in Europe and not the US (although I love visiting)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple must make a huge profit on Apple Care otherwise they would not push it so hard.

One would think Apple Care would be less expensive in the EU because under law Apple must already offer a free two year warranty. Applecare would only have to cover one more year play so phone support.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
It is an EU directive, perhaps Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of all the EU

Here here!

I've actually said on more than one occasion that that would be an excellent idea. It would have been a little more stereotypical and expected if it were Steve standing in front of the cameras metaphorically giving the EU the finger, but I actually think it would be even more effective if Tim Cook did it.

----------

Sure let companies rule the world....
We all know how that turned out. ;)

We do? Where has that happened, other than in the film Rollerball?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Simple. Charge a 10% premium in Italy under the same scheme as currency adjustments, offer the 2 year warranty requested, and make very clear to the Italian public when and how to give feedback to the government about the unreasonable portions of law or regulation. Let the locals enjoy all costs and benefits.

Let them know pricing is connected to local rules including standards, fines and tarrifs. Give the example of Brazil tarrifs as an extreme example.

Rocketman

Be alot simpler is people knew what the EU was.... Forget about Italy, it's distracting you from the real issue here....

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
I think Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of Italy, including closing all of the iTunes, app and book stores.

I rather suspect it wouldn't be long before there was a new set of regulators overseeing that section of the Italian government.

The Italian law is mandated by an EU directive. This means all EU countries were supposed to implement a similar law and actually most already do. This means Apple will most likely find itself facing the same issue in all other EU countries.

Suddenly "calling the bluff" means pulling out of the whole EU market...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
It is an EU directive, not an Italian law, try again

I think whoever is the top honcho at Apple's Italian subsidiary should have his feet held to the fire.

A foreign company doing international business, cannot know every nuance of other countries' laws.

So, they hire "experts" or listen to the local distributor/subsidiary .

If Apple was being cheeky in selling Apple care on top off the 2 year warranty without disclosing what is legal they deserve the fine.

If they did disclose this and no intent can be proven, they don't deserve the fine.

I am sure that if an Italian customer would have come with a defect product in year two without Apple care they would have been taken care of.

The Italian government is bankrupt, so 1.2 million is a nice piece of change for free !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.