Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'd much rather have something like this than a Pebble or Gear type device. I can't see myself spending $200+ on a device that's basically a secondary notification screen. It's not that difficult to pull a phone out of a pocket or purse IMO.
This would be great in the gym accessing iTunes from the iWatch would be awesome. Sucks to carry a phone around during a workout.

NikNakPAdyWak

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Sydney
The thing with all these wrist based activity trackers is that they are not accurate and the data that they collect is not validated.

What's the point of wearing a wrist band when it thinks I have run a marathon after washing my car. Or when my wife takes our baby girl for a stroll around the park. Because her hands are on the pram, will it accurately measure her steps. No. These trackers are just glorified pedometers which influence you to do more excersise.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I love how everyone says this lol. Like people don't know that Apple releases upgraded iOS devices yearly, just as this device will be updated yearly. If you think there won't be future sensors and tech in this device years down the road you are 100% wrong. They could and will implement features like this in future years, after extensive testing.

----------

Calories are hardly the problem. It is far more what you are consuming than how many calories you are consuming. If they could implement that knowledge into it so the ignorant could become ever so slightly more educated on proper nutrition, then they could make an impacts. Excercise has been shown in numerous studies (including an identical twin study) to have little impact on weight management. It is very individualized, and proper nutrition is and always will be far far more effective at weight management than exercise. It's about 80-90% what you eat, and 10-20% exercise (if that). If you are running on a treadmill without changing the foods you consume, there is no hope for you.

Of course there will be future products. What does that have to do with my statement? I'm saying Apple doesn't put out half-baked products. It's hard to believe iWatch will be fully QA ok in less than 10 months.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
This kind of renderings only hurts Apple. Is the same when a news iPhone is close to announcement. What happen in peoples mind is that they create a lot of excitement and fantasies. Then, the real product is revealed and some people feels down.

no, it doesn't. a few nerds on a nerd site may be let down. the vast majority of human beings on the planet have no idea about these renderings. apple's customer base of millions and millions and millions of customers dont care about these renderings.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
This would be great in the gym accessing iTunes from the iWatch would be awesome. Sucks to carry a phone around during a workout.

Apple will need to release wireless earphones for that to work. A move like that would instantly kill off the iPod Shuffle and Nano :)

elTylerr

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
I've never worn a watch, and I would buy one! I believe Apple can do amazing things with this & it would actually be useful- not just an "extension" of the iPhone, the the Samsung watch is to the Galaxy.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Being diabetic and a fitness enthusiast, I am excited about something that can track my glucose, heart rate, etc. without having to stab my finger or wear a chest strap.

Could be seriously cool for folks like me.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Thats a one size fits all bracelet. Not sure how you sell what I am seeing in the mock up to 250lb and a 80lb teenage girl.

That's what I thought, too. It looks cool and clean, but how do you fit it to various wrist sizes?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
The more I'm hearing about this lately, the more excited I get. I currently have a Fitbit Force and I really like it. I could only image what Apple will come up with.

same here, i love my force and could only imagine what apple could come up with then i can dump my fitbit!

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
An Apple BANGLE - looks pretty girlie!

True. I mean, can you imagine how that thing is gonna look on the wrists of a regular man like us..... :rolleyes:

url

Attachments

• Butcher.jpg
    Butcher.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 77

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Apple will need to release wireless earphones for that to work. A move like that would instantly kill off the iPod Shuffle and Nano :)

Only if it costs less than $99. If it does, maybe it's meant to replace both of those products. How well is the Shuffle doing anyway?

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I looked around but couldn't find any figures on the Nano and Shuffle. They are most likely on the decline however, since iPod sales overall have dropped from ~55 million in 2009 to ~25 million in 2013.

I can only speak from observation, but the Shuffle and Nano appear to be used primarily by people that are into fitness. The iWatch would compliment those lifestyles perfectly if it really does have all these sensors. So I'm certain that people will be happy to upgrade from a $50 Shuffle to a $200+ device that monitors their health, assuming it can play MP3s.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
uh

crazy, and creepy.. i dunno how i feel now AFTER i see them.

looks like a Fit-bit. and look how tiny the display is....

even a watch face is larger.

technology is so digital :p Where's the analog face ? digital watches are so 80's. My calculation watch was digital read-out. It makes sense of a Fit-bit, and iWatch looks more like that, than a regular "watch"

How can we tell the difference, apart from maybe the Apple logo. ?

The removal of such information, either Apple made a mistake (probably true/not surprising), or something else.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
it's a cool mockup but they wouldn't work in actual use. You'd have to bend your arm kinda weird to actually look at the screen.

what?? it's basically the exact same orientation as a standard watch.

----------

If they are just now hiring QA type positions, I would take that to mean it won't be released until next year (yes, despite Cook's comments last year). They're going to get these newly hired-s to get iWatch up to snuff in < 10 months? I doubt that.

i'm guessing most of these guys input would be more on the software side than the hardware side. but adding a sensor would not be a huge deal. motion charging would be very cool. with flexible glass now being made i'd love to see it look like those artist mockups. those are sexy!! if a watch can be called sexy.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
You're getting excited about something you know nothing about? Life just isn't doing it for you, then.

MacRumors, a site that's dedicated largely to purveying rumors about possible upcoming product launches, where we can talk about said rumored products. Isn't that sort of the point?

o0smoothies0o

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2013
uh

crazy, and creepy.. i dunno how i feel now AFTER i see them.

looks like a Fit-bit. and look how tiny the display is....

even a watch face is larger.

technology is so digital :p Where's the analog face ? digital watches are so 80's. My calculation watch was digital read-out. It makes sense of a Fit-bit, and iWatch looks more like that, than a regular "watch"

How can we tell the difference, apart from maybe the Apple logo. ?

The removal of such information, either Apple made a mistake (probably true/not surprising), or something else.
I can't tell if you're serious. Those are not the iWatch. They are artist renderings of what they imagine it could look like.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Yes Please

I have always loved/appreciated time pieces. But I haven't owned/worn a watch in 2 decades. Knowing Apple has something in the works has had me excited to be wearing a wrist device again. TO the point I'm even experimenting with the Polar Loop.
http://www.polarloop.com/us-en

Interestingly enough, I believe this the only fitness band on the market that is waterproof. But overall, it's pretty basic. Nothing to write home about. Only fueling my anticipation for what Apple could offer. Pretty sure they're going to crush it. And all of the Fit Bits, Polar Loops, Nike Fuel bands of the world are going to die on the vine. While maybe not the biggest market segment out there, today, I have a feeling this will do for this category what the iPod did for the mp3 category. Redefine.

And before @MrSmith gets too concerned: my life is fine, despite my excited for something new.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Remember that most nerds told about those supposed features to non nerds, and non nerds imagine new features based on those renderings.

no, it doesn't. a few nerds on a nerd site may be let down. the vast majority of human beings on the planet have no idea about these renderings. apple's customer base of millions and millions and millions of customers dont care about these renderings.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
You're getting excited about something you know nothing about? Life just isn't doing it for you, then.

and you've been on a "rumors" site for 11 years now....? Why? I'm sure you too get excited about something up and coming thats why your asking questions about it...Its why you clicked to open this link after reading it on the front page. Or is that not why your here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.