Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Some of you people are ridiculous. This was a Christmas gift to all employees regardless of their performance.

I'm sure that there are bonuses, incentive pay, promotions and raises that are given out based on individual employee merit. You don't have anywhere near the information to deicide that Apple is stingy with it's employees.

You pay people based on what they are worth, not what you can afford.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I work for a multi-billion dollar retail chain, and we get a 10% off coupon (store brand items only).

I work for a multi-billon pound high street retailer, and we get nothing extra for Christmas. Sometimes our staff discount (which is already substantial compared to similar companies) is increased, which comes in handy for buying gifts.

We live in a world where people think they are entitled to something!

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Apple has been giving employees EXTRA days off, while others have received EXTRA paid hours over regular hours ... no tears for Apple employees.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Wow. Just wow. A backpack priced at $60 retail, with the company logo on it. I think I'd quit on the spot if that was my christmas bonus.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA
I work for a multi-billon pound high street retailer, and we get nothing extra for Christmas. Sometimes our staff discount (which is already substantial compared to similar companies) is increased, which comes in handy for buying gifts.

We live in a world where people think they are entitled to something!

Yeah, I'd actually rather they just send a card.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My Incase backpack is probably the best backpack I've ever owned. Apple would make a killing if they partnered with a company that makes high-quality gear like Incase to sell Apple-branded bags to consumers. Put an Apple logo on it and mark it up! Or they could go all out and not only have a logo but other premium features such as use of higher quality fabrics with color choices/trim that match Apple's smart cases and covers with bead-blasted aluminum zipper pulls in silver, space gray and gold.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Yeah, perhaps BMW should also give its emplyes (robots) a free car at the end of the year, right? And couple of thousands of euros on the top of that?

Crazy world!!

BMW employees in Germany are given such great rates at buying new BMWs, they can drive them for a year or two, and then still sell them to general public at a hefty profit.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think most people here are kids who have never had a real job.

I've worked for a few Fortune 500 companies, and a $25 gift card is the norm now. There are no company Christmas parties anymore at most places. Only if you're a high-up executive do you get anything substantial.

What Apple did was really nice, and something they did not have to do, and most companies DON'T do. For the naysayers, show me what other retailers are giving their employees that is worth more.
Not quite the case for Silicon Valley tech companies.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I got the gift of time from my company

What irks me is that Apple is supposed to be cool, and giving Apple branded swag is just lame, period. It's not even the value of the gift that is lame, its the gift itself. I've been given $120+ branded computer bag full of swag just for being hired. I've even been given an iPod Nano for just working on a team that was the top performing for the year.

On top of that is the poem, which is like a really bad attempt at HR to diffuse the inevitable "um.....thanks" that most employees will probably have; telling them how valuable they are but that it's the thought that counts, not what is being given, this is not cool at all.

I was given the "gift of time" this year, 4 free hours off over the holidays, which is valued at near $300 to me, I could buy 4 bags and sew Apple badges on them with my time off.

Hopefully the Apple bonuses are a lot more thankful than this "gift", which I am sure is what most employees are looking forward to and will appreciate. Unless Apple cheaps out on them too.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This isn't a dream... couple years ago, Google gifted $1000 (yes, one thousand dollars) to each employee... to spend for christmas...

Apple has even a lot more money than Google.... This is not hard for them to do. They are just not as generous as Google was... but then again they are not required to.

Correct. ;)

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I think most people here are kids who have never had a real job.

I've worked for a few Fortune 500 companies, and a $25 gift card is the norm now. There are no company Christmas parties anymore at most places. Only if you're a high-up executive do you get anything substantial.

What Apple did was really nice, and something they did not have to do, and most companies DON'T do. For the naysayers, show me what other retailers are giving their employees that is worth more.

this is what exactly what i'm saying. i had a senior executive position with a fortune 300 company and i received ZERO bonuses or gifts related to the holidays. since then, i've owned my own businesses and i now consult part time for small business owners. trust me, this was a nice little gift that apple gave to ALL their employees.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wow. Just wow. A backpack priced at $60 retail, with the company logo on it. I think I'd quit on the spot if that was my christmas bonus.

Just curious where you work and what your Christmas bonus is right now.

iGal83

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
The past couple of years it's been a cheap hoody, grey then black. Before that? A blanket. A bag is kinda an upgrade, but still insulting. To all those who claim it's expecting too much to expect more than a bag from the worlds richest company, well try working there, at this time of year. Being encouraged to seek out business users so that you can discuss with them purchasing iPads/iPods/iPhones etc to use as gifts for employees, knowing full well that the company that MAKES those products will give ITS OWN EMPLOYEES a cheap hoody. Try taking twice/three times your annual salary in one days revenue, on numerous occasions, knowing that the wage you receive means you can't purchase many of the products yourself. All the while having to smile and never EVER say anything less than positive, lest you be deemed negative.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
The past couple of years it's been a cheap hoody, grey then black. Before that? A blanket. A bag is kinda an upgrade, but still insulting. To all those who claim it's expecting too much to expect more than a bag from the worlds richest company, well try working there, at this time of year. Being encouraged to seek out business users so that you can discuss with them purchasing iPads/iPods/iPhones etc to use as gifts for employees, knowing full well that the company that MAKES those products will give ITS OWN EMPLOYEES a cheap hoody. Try taking twice/three times your annual salary in one days revenue, on numerous occasions, knowing that the wage you receive means you can't purchase many of the products yourself. All the while having to smile and never EVER say anything less than positive, lest you be deemed negative.

FYI....No one is forced to work for Apple (or any company for that matter), they don't hold a gun to someone's head and say 'You must work for us or else'.

Unfortunately your argument is a little flawed to say the least.

3NV7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
To the "well, you should be grateful to get anything" responders... a thoughtless/insulting gift is worse than no gift at all. And make no mistake, a cheap backpack from a company with Apple's bank is insulting.

If I worked for Apple, I would prefer nothing at all TBH. Like the year my ex-employer gave us lame t-shirts with the company logo, rather than the usual $100 visa card. If you can't afford a decent gift, just say so. Don't try to soften the blow with a shoddy token gift.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
My Company (big old blue Tech :) ) is so cheap. It is hard to beat it. Many years ago the managers were allowed to spend $15 per person for a holiday party, then it came down to 10, a year later it was 7! My manager used to be so embarrassed so they would put their own money to buy $15 Starbuck GC. She did it for a couple of years and then stopped... Either their budget went to less than 5 or maybe zero...

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Just curious where you work and what your Christmas bonus is right now.

None of Your Business, Inc., and the last couple of years, it was four digits of cash. No 1%er grade, but better than a stupid backpack with the company logo.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

You mean to tell me that I'm working to make money for my employer?

If you don't want to work for someone else, making them money, then start your own company. Otherwise you look foolish complaining about a situation that you voluntarily entered knowing beforehand how the system works.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To the "well, you should be grateful to get anything" responders... a thoughtless/insulting gift is worse than no gift at all. And make no mistake, a cheap backpack from a company with Apple's bank is insulting.

If I worked for Apple, I would prefer nothing at all TBH. Like the year my ex-employer gave us lame t-shirts with the company logo, rather than the usual $100 visa card. If you can't afford a decent gift, just say so. Don't try to soften the blow with a shoddy token gift.

So what's considered a decent gift? Does it have to be over a certain dollar amount? As many here have pointed out they also work for Fortune 500 companies and get no Christmas gift at all.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.

Wow, age of entitlement.

That backpack is lovely, I would love one myself. I wouldn't be working at Apple retail store for $12 an hour, though. Know your own worth and make more money, don't cry/beg to others with big pockets. It's not hard to be successful and afford Apple products if you have a burning desire to do so.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
oh you can be assured that certain employees within Apple get free iPhones

UK employees get given an iPhone (5) on the company plan. (other counties may have different regional rules). Xmas bonuses within Apple are not what you would call 'generous' and have never been apparently.

You get a discount on apple products and you can also buy additional devices on the friends and family plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.