Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
None of Your Business, Inc., and the last couple of years, it was four digits of cash. No 1%er grade, but better than a stupid backpack with the company logo.

Well I'm sure there are plenty of Apple employees getting decent stock options and bonuses that we'll never hear about. It's not like this Christmas gift is the only way employees are being rewarded. Apple is spending $5B on a state of the art campus including a $75M fitness center.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Microsoft have always been like that though. Great company to work for.

Yeah, except a TON of their workforce is v- vendors or a- temps that DON'T get ANY of the msft benefits... So yea... If you can weather Fargo ND or Redmond WA and actually work FOR msft (not a contractor), it seems like it used to be a pretty good gig.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
If you are really good, Apple gives an additional gift, a recording of Steve Jobs yelling profanities at you, ending with Merry Friggin Christmas.

EcranBleu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Comparison

Employees are paid based on what they are worth? How about these employees?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=AAPL+Insider+Transactions

Now, compare with these employees:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/05/apple-store-pay/

This one is about VolksWagen:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/02/volkswagen-hands-out-7200-bonus-to.html

How about this one about the compensation of the execs at BMW?

http://www.spiegel.de/international...pay-to-that-of-its-line-workers-a-657462.html

And for those who don't know it yet, Apple is running one of the largest hedge fund in the world:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-owns-the-worlds-largest-hedge-fund-2012-10

Yes, a cheapo crappy backpack is lame. I bet most of the recipients would have preferred a gift certificate for 50 bucks instead.

xEODGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Indiana
Not where I work

have people lost touch with reality? most companies don't pay a dime in christmas bonuses anymore. those day are long gone.

I don't work at a multi-billion dollar establishment, but they give us quarterly bonuses based on performance, and $50 at Christmas. Not that I expect that...it's just a nice place to work and that's what they do.

With that all said, I have to agree with you, though. Most people think that Apple, MS, Google, etc should just give expensive stuff away because they can. And several have already said what I was thinking, "What a wonderful sense of entitlement you have there!"

I honestly don't know where it comes from, but nobody owes you (or me) anything. But when they do give something, the thing to say is, "Thank you!" Not, "Is that it?"

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yeah, except a TON of their workforce is v- vendors or a- temps that DON'T get ANY of the msft benefits... So yea... If you can weather Fargo ND or Redmond WA and actually work FOR msft (not a contractor), it seems like it used to be a pretty good gig.

And you think apple is any different to Microsoft in that regard? - or any tech company for that matter...

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
That'll make thieves trying to steal the latest prototypes to easily identify the Apple employees. :)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
What an embarrassment. Microsoft always goes the extra step when it comes to its employees from what I've seen and heard.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Employees are paid based on what they are worth? How about these employees?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/it?s=AAPL+Insider+Transactions

Now, compare with these employees:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/10/05/apple-store-pay/

This one is about VolksWagen:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/02/volkswagen-hands-out-7200-bonus-to.html

How about this one about the compensation of the execs at BMW?

http://www.spiegel.de/international...pay-to-that-of-its-line-workers-a-657462.html

And for those who don't know it yet, Apple is running one of the largest hedge fund in the world:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-owns-the-worlds-largest-hedge-fund-2012-10

Yes, a cheapo crappy backpack is lame. I bet most of the recipients would have preferred a gift certificate for 50 bucks instead.

Does Apple kidnap their children to make them work there? No, they choose to. If they had valuable skills that would pay them more money they wouldn't be working there. The fact that they show up indicates that there isn't someone else willing to pay them more. So, yep Geniuses aren't worth very much.

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
Yeah. It's a wonder they manage to afford all those tat's and piercings! ;)

Mostly because they got them before joining :apple: ;)

Most big firms, like Apple, offer a year end bonus based on sales, performance, and meeting objectives.

I'm sure the bag is extra

Yeh, but not Apple. No bonuses for Retail at least, not even a christmas party. I am in EMEA.

I'm sure that there are bonuses, incentive pay, promotions and raises that are given out based on individual employee merit. You don't have anywhere near the information to deicide that Apple is stingy with it's employees.

Maybe managers get bonuses, but for most retail staff, there is sweet FA. Sure you can give Apple some of your hard earned cash to by Apple products at a reduction, but that hardly puts extra food on the table for Christmas.

Last edited:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I don't work at a multi-billion dollar establishment, but they give us quarterly bonuses based on performance, and $50 at Christmas. Not that I expect that...it's just a nice place to work and that's what they do.

With that all said, I have to agree with you, though. Most people think that Apple, MS, Google, etc should just give expensive stuff away because they can. And several have already said what I was thinking, "What a wonderful sense of entitlement you have there!"

I honestly don't know where it comes from, but nobody owes you (or me) anything. But when they do give something, the thing to say is, "Thank you!" Not, "Is that it?"

This is why most companies have done away with Holiday bonuses. They rather spend the money on merit based be bonuses which are earned by productive employees. And you can actually give these people more since you don't have to pay the underachievers.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yeh, but not Apple. No bonuses for Retail at least, not even a christmas party.

Not all GEOs are the same its fair to say (no idea about retail anywhere) but CORP staff DO get a yearly bonus along with ESPP and RSUs.

The backpack is just an Xmas gift.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Just curious where you work and what your Christmas bonus is right now.

Where I work every employee got well north of 15% cash bonus of their salary no matter what level they are. We got a VERY healthy bonus this year because of all the hard work we did to give the company a block buster year this is on top of stock part of it.

I kind of laugh at the insults a lot of people are given for doing hard work when everyone who works wehre I am easily gets a 4 figure bonus every year and many of us get 5 figures.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
The past couple of years it's been a cheap hoody, grey then black. Before that? A blanket. A bag is kinda an upgrade, but still insulting.

Considering that they made 94 MILLION DOLLARS of net profit per day in the last quarter I have to agree :)

Maybe buy Beats for $3 billion instead of 3.5 and spread the love to people that work hard every day to earn you those profits.....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Where I work every employee got well north of 15% cash bonus of their salary no matter what level they are. We got a VERY healthy bonus this year because of all the hard work we did to give the company a block buster year.

I would garner you're the exception not the norm. I work for a company in the top 15 of the Fortune 500 and we get nothing. If you're lucky you might work in a department that does a potluck or orders in pizza. That's it.

----------

Considering that they made 94 MILLION DOLLARS of net profit per day in the last quarter I have to agree :)

Maybe buy Beats for $3 billion instead of 3.5 and spread the love to people that work hard every day to earn you those profits.....

So the $5B campus with $74M fitness center doesn't mean anything?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK

Apple is a public company, not a mutual or privately owned organisation. The profits go to the shareholders, not the employees.

The employees get a fair salary and benefits as per their contract.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
I would garner you're the exception not the norm. I work for a company in the top 15 of the Fortune 500 and we get nothing. If you're lucky you might work in a department that does a potluck or orders in pizza. That's it.

Oh I fully know I work for an exception and not the norm but what is even sadder is stuff like what I am getting used to be the norm not the exception.
Companies used to treat their employees with respect and not as a number.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
That's a cool bag, I don't mind to get one for free :D

And I love the poem too. It might sound cheesy for some, but small things that show that you are appreciated, and not a more expensive gift, is actually make you feel valued. I don't want expensive gift if that means the company just want to show off and you can be bought by a gift.

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
Not all GEOs are the same its fair to say (no idea about retail anywhere) but CORP staff DO get a yearly bonus along with ESPP and RSUs.

The backpack is just an Xmas gift.

Corp is different yes, but retail is like the bastard child. Ignored and neglected.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
And you think apple is any different to Microsoft in that regard? - or any tech company for that matter...

No.

Where did I say or imply that Apple is any different than anyone? I don't recall even mentioning or alluding to Apple. Someone said MSFT treats their employees very well and I chimed in that they do -- but you have to consider that a LOT of their workforce isn't considered FTE. So while they may be great to their employees, there's a caveat there. I wasn't being comparative (directly or indirectly) to anything really.

Why is everyone always so combative, accusatory, and hostile on these forums? Did I miss part of the user agreement here that you have to be condescending in EVERY post? Apparently I've been posting wrong around here...

Good luck in real life! I'm sure you'll make it pretty dang far.

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
People are ridiculous!. It was a gift...a gift. I just can't believe there are SO MANY PEOPLE complaining about a GIFT...A GIFT!!! This younger generation is going to ruin the civilization as we have always known it. Little brats is all they are.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
People are ridiculous!. It was a gift...a gift. I just can't believe there are SO MANY PEOPLE complaining about a GIFT...A GIFT!!! This younger generation is going to ruin the civilization as we have always known it. Little brats is all they are.

no more people are complaining about the fact that bonuses like what I get used to be the norm not the exceptions. If the company had a great year you got a cut of the pie as well.

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
no more people are complaining about the fact that bonuses like what I get used to be the norm not the exceptions. If the company had a great year you got a cut of the pie as well.

Yes, but that was never a verified thing. Just because a company has a great year doesn't automatically mean that they were going to give bonuses to everyone.
I worked for a company for a long time, and watched the perks slowly dwindle, even though the company was still doing well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.