Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I always thought of Siri as nothing more than a novel gimmick.

It's such a gimmick that Samsung needed to get a piece of it too :D

smart.jpg

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
At ipedro and his novel idea of how to have Siri tackle search,

I won't quote it here as I do not want to flood an entire page (see post 47), and I don't see anyone discussing it, nor do I know how feasible it may be, but I agree with you fully about one of the flaws of google - it doesn't always give a straight and direct response to very basic and elementary questions. That's one thing I like about Siri - you ask a simple question, you get a simple and relevant answer.

Will be interesting to see what they cook up for iOS7. :D

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Well, i'll be a monkeys uncle...... It will be intresting since these people are (or was) a business

First, Apple hires a former Samsung employee, and now they need "Help" with Siri.

Maybe Apples finally realising this will NEVER come out of Beta, unless we do something drastic.

Hope this means "it will only get better"

It can"t get any worse, can it??

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Hopefully one day Apple will make every thing we need in our lives, and also have patents for it, so we won't be bothered with nuisances such as competition.

Sadly, that is the mentality of so many on this forum. And many won't even catch the sarcasm.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
It's past time to kick Google to the curb as the default iOS search engine. Sorry guys, but it's insanity to rely on a competitor for such a critical component of your platform.

rather, Google is paying Apple millions to be the default search engine.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It's past time to kick Google to the curb as the default iOS search engine. Sorry guys, but it's insanity to rely on a competitor for such a critical component of your platform.

LOL at Google fanboy deriding fanboyism. :rolleyes:

Default is fine, even if they change it, just as long the option still exists.

Ping Guo

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Clearly Apple plans to take down Google and capture all of their profits for itself. Couldn't happen soon enough.

Go Apple!

Instead of monetizing Siri like some sort of cheap Adwords campaign, why not improve the product to provide the best value and utility to the consumer, who has already laid down their money for expensive Apple hardware?

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy using and depend on Apple products everyday. I just don't think it's smart for them to get into the search business. There's not a need for it right now.

Many want Apple to get into the TV business because we can all pretty much agree that we're sick of TV and cable box/satellite UIs and I loathe having to pick up a remote control for some devices when others (my Yamaha receiver and Roku box) can be controlled via my iOS device. That's what I want. More integration of the appliances/electronics I already have with the Apple devices I already own.

If Apple decides to go down the path of search, I'm afraid they may be drifting further away from what has been a guiding principle at Apple for a long time under Jobs. They were only going to do a few things. They were going to focus on those things with laser-like intensity and determination. And I'll be damned if, when they did that, they didn't make the things they chose to focus on so much better than the rubbish other companies had been peddling for years.

Which brings me back to my main point. Who's clammering for a new search engine? I, for one, wasn't clammering for a new Maps app, but I got one anyway. And I don't see much of anything in the new Maps app that exudes the polish and precision that comes from having a laser-like focus and intensity. Rather, I see an app that is on pretty much all accounts mediocre. It does more things than the previous Maps app did, but it doesn't do any of them particularly well. I hope we're not saying that about an Apple-branded search engine within the next year or two.

I think your view of Apple history is a little bit skewed. The company has a couple of core products which they build services so they can sell more of them. That's it, basically.
Remember that they started off with computers and then with 'laser-like' focus moved into music players, online music stores, retails shops, mobile phones...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Somewhere in Apple's labs, there's a team designing a search engine.....A move from Google Maps was critical, albeit not a smooth transition as we saw. Replacing the search engine is the final step, hopefully with a better rollout. Apple can't continue to rely on it's rivals for key parts of its OS.

Siri is the natural search engine replacement but in a way completely different than a traditional search engine. Ask it a question and it returns an answer, not a bunch of pages where you may or may not find the answer. Ask if for a bunch of pages on a topic and it'll give you the traditional search engine results. Just as we heard about Apple buying up maps companies and hiring map employees 3 years ago, this is the canary in the coal mine for an Apple search engine built into Siri, maybe in iOS 8 or 9.

I too am of the opinion that since everything is information-based, for APPLE to thrive longterm, they MUST enter the search-engine business, sooner, rather than later. It is imperative for APPLE's continued long term success. GOOGLE has a huge advantage here, and if APPLE does not compete in this arena, they will be relegated to second class status by becoming more and more dependent on GOOGLE, ALPHA-WOLFRAM, YAHOO et all; not a good long-term strategy.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Youre in favor of less choice and less competition? You do realize that if your dreams of only Apple being existent became true, your products would become stagnant and overpriced, right?

Apple products already are stagnant and overpriced. But since Apple is a substitute religion for most of its customers, it doesn't really matter.

That being said, Apple won't enter the search business. Search is much more complex than Maps, and we all know how Apple failed at that one.

Megalomania and arrogance seem to work well in marketing, but in this case, those two treats are not enough - you also need a working product. And a working product is something that also works outside of Cupertino.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Born and raised in PA so no "Carolina drawl" here. Do some research, siri's ability to comprehend a wide variety of different voice patterns needs some work.

Judging by your signature, you must think your always right, but you're dead wrong if you think I'm the only one who is having difficulty using Siri.

My dad is from PA, I speak like him and make sure to enunciate clearly with Siri. Sometimes I accidentally say things like "wanna", "gonna" etc. and she has issues with that but it's also not proper English.

I know people with heavy Scottish accents, for example, have trouble with Siri, but if humans have trouble understanding them speak, then so will voice recognition software. Overall though, if you don't have an accent then maybe you're using it wrong. ;)

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I find that it does work pretty well in real world situations.

I wake up, summon Siri to ask her:

"Read my messages" - Siri says: "You have a message from XXXXX: blablabla" Reply?
"Is it cold outside?" - Siri says: "It's about 9 degrees. I don't find that particularly cold"
"Do I need an umbrella?" - Siri says: "It doesn't look like it's going to rain today"
"What's my day look like?" - Siri says: "You have 3 appointments today xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Since I have no appointments in the morning, I tell Siri:
"Wake me up in another hour" - Siri says: "Your alarm is set for 10AM.
Before I go back to bed, I tell Siri:
"Book lunch with Amy at noon" - Siri books it.
"Remind me to take Amy's book with me when I leave" - Siri creates a reminder with a geo-fence.

I think that works remarkably well. Also, if I have facts that I'm looking for, I no longer Google them, I ask Siri. Yesterday when Felix was doing the Stratos jump, I wondered what the speed of sound was. I asked Siri and got a straightforward answer in a Wolfram Alpha card with lots of useful info.

I even deleted my Unit Conversion app and Wiki app because it's just so much easier to ask and get an answer.

Where Siri needs an important improvement is on results speed. It can sometimes take more than 5 to 10 seconds which leaves an awkward pause while you wait for your results. People are impatient these days.

The iPhone 5 has as much processing power as a G5 Mac tower. I think it's time to move speech recognition locally while they can leave question processing and result returns on Apple's servers. This would speed things up considerably.

Look, 90% of the people I know who try to use it (let's say 9 out of 10 people I know with an iPhone) have given up on it. You try to send a text and if it's 2 lines long, she only gets 1/2 of one line. You try to say a name and she never gets it. You try to launch a program and she doesn't realize you have it. You ask for the damn weather in NYC and she gets it wrong. You ask for the score of a game and 4 times out of 5 she will give it to you but 1 time she won't know what to do (yet the text recognized by her is exactly the same). Sometimes you wait 10-15 seconds for the server to recognize your request.

The whole point is it is supposed to make life easier. It doesn't do it. There's a reason 9 of the 10 people I know who have Siri never use her. No way they are all inept or unable to use the functionality. Plus, haven't we seen lots of reports that the vast majority of Siri's use is to send texts? I think they need to fix this...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Apple: "We have revolutionized search. You make a query either via Siri or keyboard and we will show you results from what the keen minds at Apple believe you meant and should see. No more will you have to bother with information that wasn't curated by us. Because - let's face it - if we haven't approved the message - how can you really trust it to be legit?"

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I thought competition was Good!?

Yes, and I don't think he was saying different. Quite the contrary, it's people going "Go Apple!" and "Takedown Google!" that seem to be against competition.

If anything, it would be fun to see Apple take a stab at search (real search, not Siri "never works" gimmick search). Google has had to push themselves pretty much alone in this segment. They haven't stood still, a lot of improvements have gone into their search engine, but maybe a little real competition could really push this service to higher levels.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Instead of monetizing Siri like some sort of cheap Adwords campaign, why not improve the product to provide the best value and utility to the consumer, who has already laid down their money for expensive Apple hardware?

You answered your own question: They have already laid down their money.

That being said, Apple has every incentive to improve the product, as it will inspire the consumer to lay down even MORE money.

And there is no binary choice here. Apple can, should and will monetize Siri with consumer tracking, AND they will add capabilities in order to get more sales and more profits by inspiring repeat purchases by their customers.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
You answered your own question: They have already laid down their money.

That being said, Apple has every incentive to improve the product, as it will inspire the consumer to lay down even MORE money.

And there is no binary choice here. Apple can, should and will monetize Siri with consumer tracking, AND they will add capabilities in order to get more sales and more profits by inspiring repeat purchases by their customers.

Play with yourself much, iGrip, especially with that name?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Look, 90% of the people I know who try to use it (let's say 9 out of 10 people I know with an iPhone) have given up on it. You try to send a text and if it's 2 lines long, she only gets 1/2 of one line. You try to say a name and she never gets it. You try to launch a program and she doesn't realize you have it. You ask for the damn weather in NYC and she gets it wrong. You ask for the score of a game and 4 times out of 5 she will give it to you but 1 time she won't know what to do (yet the text recognized by her is exactly the same). Sometimes you wait 10-15 seconds for the server to recognize your request.

The whole point is it is supposed to make life easier. It doesn't do it. There's a reason 9 of the 10 people I know who have Siri never use her. No way they are all inept or unable to use the functionality. Plus, haven't we seen lots of reports that the vast majority of Siri's use is to send texts? I think they need to fix this...

While I've been using Siri for only three days, she responds immediately, has only once not understood a word (which, ironically, was "Siri") and has found restaurants for me, checked the weather in other cities, launched apps, created my shopping lists, and set up lots of reminders.

Truthfully, I was stunned that she even worked in my low population area (AT&T just added 3G about a month ago). For what it's worth, am using the service on my iPod touch 5G and have no complaints.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yes, and I don't think he was saying different. Quite the contrary, it's people going "Go Apple!" and "Takedown Google!" that seem to be against competition.

If anything, it would be fun to see Apple take a stab at search (real search, not Siri "never works" gimmick search). Google has had to push themselves pretty much alone in this segment. They haven't stood still, a lot of improvements have gone into their search engine, but maybe a little real competition could really push this service to higher levels.

The way I see it, this has nothing to do with being anti-competition. People just get a kick out of seeing titans rise and fall, just like when you buy a ticket to a football or boxing match and expect to see both sides put up a good fight, and one side getting trashed in the end. That one of the rammifications is possibly fewer choices for consumers all round is not considered here. :)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Somewhere in Apple's labs, there's a team designing a search engine.

Apple is purging it's rivals Google and Samsung. A move from Google Maps was critical, albeit not a smooth transition as we saw. Replacing the search engine is the final step, hopefully with a better rollout.

Apple can't continue to rely on it's rivals for key parts of its OS.

Siri is the natural search engine replacement but in a way completely different than a traditional search engine. Ask it a question and it returns an answer, not a bunch of pages where you may or may not find the answer. Ask if for a bunch of pages on a topic and it'll give you the traditional search engine results.

Just as we heard about Apple buying up maps companies and hiring map employees 3 years ago, this is the canary in the coal mine for an Apple search engine built into Siri, maybe in iOS 8 or 9.

EDIT: I've elaborated on this in this post: How Siri will become a dominant search engine

Apple buys Wolfram Alpha and there team and **** will get serious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.