Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I thoroughly enjoy using and depend on Apple products everyday. I just don't think it's smart for them to get into the search business. There's not a need for it right now.

Many want Apple to get into the TV business because we can all pretty much agree that we're sick of TV and cable box/satellite UIs and I loathe having to pick up a remote control for some devices when others (my Yamaha receiver and Roku box) can be controlled via my iOS device. That's what I want. More integration of the appliances/electronics I already have with the Apple devices I already own.

If Apple decides to go down the path of search, I'm afraid they may be drifting further away from what has been a guiding principle at Apple for a long time under Jobs. They were only going to do a few things. They were going to focus on those things with laser-like intensity and determination. And I'll be damned if, when they did that, they didn't make the things they chose to focus on so much better than the rubbish other companies had been peddling for years.

Which brings me back to my main point. Who's clammering for a new search engine? I, for one, wasn't clammering for a new Maps app, but I got one anyway. And I don't see much of anything in the new Maps app that exudes the polish and precision that comes from having a laser-like focus and intensity. Rather, I see an app that is on pretty much all accounts mediocre. It does more things than the previous Maps app did, but it doesn't do any of them particularly well. I hope we're not saying that about an Apple-branded search engine within the next year or two.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
LOL at clueless person assuming that he's a Google fanboy :rolleyes:

----------

The scary reality of people on the internet. I sincerely KNOW that he thinks that what he wrote is true.

And are we to assume that you surely don't think what you write is true? If you don't think so, then why write it? And if you do think what you write is true, are you the self appointed judge of what is "true" and "not true"? Now THAT'S SCARY REALITY TO ME.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it never gets my german right and i refuse to talk to her like a robot and shes not understanding english when set to german either which makes the whole music control feature useless

needless to say i havent used Siri since last year, almost forgot i had it tbh

and lol at people thinking they can take on google. its burned into everyones mind to just "google" search and they didnt get their data over night. just look at the maps disaster and how that turned out. some things should just stay left alone

Last edited:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
You know that Siri isn't really a search engine, right?

He never said it was. He was saying all of the pieces are being put in place behind the scenes to make it one. Of course it isn't now, but it looks more and more like that's what Apple intends to do (based on what we've seen so far of course).

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
And are we to assume that you surely don't think what you write is true? If you don't think so, then why write it? And if you do think what you write is true, are you the self appointed judge of what is "true" and "not true"? Now THAT'S SCARY REALITY TO ME.

It can be sarcasm or a joke, welcome to the internet

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Depending on connection it is dramatically poor at what it does. Just this morning, walking through downtown Seattle, I have my headphones on and phone in pocket. I push the button on headphone to activate siri to ask the time (so as to not have to dig phone out of pocket). It pauses for a minute or so (silence) and then denies my request, apparently out of inability to connect to some such server somewhere. Announcing the time should not be that much of a challenge.

Sounds like an issue with your connection to the server rather than the server itself. Blame the carrier.

----------

it never gets my german right and i refuse to talk to her like a robot and shes not understanding english when set to german either which makes the whole music control feature useless

needless to say i havent used Siri since last year, almost forgot i had it tbh

and lol at people thinking they can take on google. its burned into everyones mind to just "google" search and they didnt get their data over night. just look at the maps disaster and how that turned out. some things should just stay left alone

Take dah german out of j00r mouf den' Hanz.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I agree. Forget all the fanboy accusations for now. As a business, it would be a strategic move for Apple to continue downplaying Google by removing them as the default search engine in Safari. There was a survey reported by Ars Technica showing that this whole Maps fiasco isn't really affecting sales of the iPhone 5.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/survey-says-iphone-5-owners-not-bothered-by-ios-6-mapsare-you/

So I really don't care about the comments on this forum or other tech blogs complaining about maps.
Given that Apple make about 70% of their sales OUTSIDE the US, these survey results are completely irrelevant.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
it never gets my german right and i refuse to talk to her like a robot and shes not understanding english when set to german either which makes the whole music control feature useless.
Siri in a multilingual environment is indeed laughably bad, but -to be honest- so are the competition's offerings.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Apple isn’t making a search engine. Apple is attempting to create a solution that makes search engines unnecessary for a finite set of searches by providing tailored actionable results. When Apple gets Siri right it’s going to do a lot more damage to Google than Bing’s 15%

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sounds like a good hire choice. I sure hope he finds a way to speed up Siri's search and command functions. It's been getting gradually slower over time and I'm seeing a lot more people getting frustrated with it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.