Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Now, the iPad 4 itself isn't any different from the 3 in regards to main/usable features...it simply has a better CPU and GPU if I recall. But still, Apple angered a LOT of people who bought the 3 and then came out with the 4 so quickly. You also need to take into consideration that Apple, HISTORICALLY, has always waited 12+ months to update anything.

MBP early 2011
MBP late 2011
MBP early 2008
MBP late 2008
MBP early 2006
MBP late 2006

You were saying something?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Untrue. Apple has an extremely tight control on what is sold and at what price in third party stores. That's why you don't see much of a difference when switching stores, except on value-added services such as training or (non-Apple) accessories.

Apple has never updated their product so fast. By the time a customer lines up to get a new iDevice, after the usual shortages at the beginning,having sold the old one first, he will only have like 6 months before being pushed again with a "new & (slightly) improved" version, with a price increase to go with it. Planned obsolescence wouldn't be so much of an issue if one could install the latest iPhone OS version on it and don't lure the customer into thinking he'll have the latest version for at least a year that could reasonably be expected considering the high price tag.

What is also obvious is that having insignificant price decrease when a new version comes out is definitely customer un-friendly.

And as long as they keep doing that, Apple has no need to do things differently.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This is even crazier than suing over a rectangle with rounded corners!

----------

:rolleyes:

Please don't even pretend you are ignorant on that matter because am sure you are not. It was much more then "rectangle" thing as you and Samsung would like ppl to believe and kudos to Apple for suing the **** out of them.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Please don't even pretend you are ignorant on that matter because am sure you are not. It was much more then "rectangle" thing as you and Samsung would like ppl to believe and kudos to Apple for suing the **** out of them.

And that part was quite frivolous, IMO.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Brazil is kind of obsolete in my opinion... Cant swim to it, way to far. Never been there, nothing special to see there, and full of violence..

We already got these country's
I spent Christmas in Rio a decade ago. Beautiful place. The next day we spent a day in Porto Bello and had a great meal on the beach. I like Brazil.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
iOS

As long as Apple supports iPads of yesteryear with updates to iOS I don't see the problem. So many products have new versions on a yearly basis, cars for an example which cost a heck of a lot more than an iPad.

barcellos

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Brazil
You should be ashamed of that statement.

why? this country is completely non-sense at all. taxation here is far beyond ridiculous. this burocratic office made this complain about pseudo-obsolescence, really? i think they are targeting at wrong direction, in their feet.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
why? this country is completely non-sense at all. taxation here is far beyond ridiculous. this burocratic office made this complain about pseudo-obsolescence, really? i think they are targeting at wrong direction, in their feet.

It's your home. Be proud and do what you can do to help change things. What part of Brasil are you from?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
The only part of this article I agree with is the part about customers unknowingly buying the 3rd generation after the 4th generation was released.

There was no way for the average customer to distinguish between them and here in Ireland I thought it was really bad to walk into a store and see the 3rd generation still on sale at Christmas with the same price tag as the 4th generation.

Caveat emptor.

bluesoverdrive

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
Apple is honest!

This is so cool, macrummors, please let me know when can I trade my iPad 3 for the newest model + 50% of its price in cash!

Apple is so caring! I love this company, so much love for the brazilians! :D

Too bad they don't care for the rest of the world. :apple: could give some loving to the americans iPad 3 owners (aka beta tester) too!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I agree with this lawsuite wholeheartedly and wish there was a class action lawsuit in the US. People like me bough the 3rd gen and then shortly after the 4th gen came out with the only changes being a new graphics chip and lightning connector. I personally would like the performance improvement of the 4th gen but already shelled out money for the 3rd gen. I believe Apple planned this and it's probably good business from a money making standpoint. Whatever they have in store for any future iPad better include a revamped iOS because Apple is losing to Android imo. The exception being I would buy a retina iPad mini even with iOS 6.1. That would be one sexy tablet.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Actually, Im kinda glad Brazil filed this. Yeah, products are updated and we all know the products we buy now will be replaced by improved ones later, that's how it goes. But I kinda agree that the release of the Ipad 4 was so close after the ipad 3 that Apple could have put the new tech -especially the lightning connector into 3 - and I understand why a lot of people were pissed about that.

Brazil only said what a lot of people were thinking. I went from the iPad 1 to the ipad mini and didn't feel that, but I understand the anger. I know that the retina display mini will probably come out in the fall, but I made a decision and accept that. However the new connector is a different issue.

I'm just glad Brazil filed this lawsuit. Minor updates ever 6 months are ok, but the major updates like a new connector across the board should be spaced out more to a year. Takes the sting out a bit and is easier to swallow.

Apple could have included the new connector in the ipad 3, so they should have waited IMHO.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
These people are insane. Either that, or a bunch of crazy entitled Americans are living down there and they're the ones that filed the suit. You know, right after they drove through a fast food place and burned themselves with hot coffee..This is stupid and it should be dismissed.
Actually the lady who bought coffee at McDonalds had a reason to sue and had a winning case. She spilled scaulding hot coffee on her lady parts. OUCH!

She proved that McDonalds coffee was extremely and unnecesarily hot and as a direct result she suffered serious injury.

People buying an iPad 3 then getting upset because Apple releases an improved model 7 months later have NOT suffered any injury.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
I do think this was planned obsolence... The iPad 3 wasn't ready for prime time, they real eased it ahead of time just to keep up with their yearly cycle, so they released the iPad 3 with shorter battery life, screen issues and heating issues, old connector, heavier, bigger and provided the same performance of an iPad 2 but with a retina display. Apple knew the product wasn't ready but they had to release something, they couldn't wait until the fall. So they changed the name, they called it the New iPad!, not iPad 3, not iPad 2S, they called it the new iPad because they knew they would release another one some months later and imagine the perception if they had released the iPad 3 and some months later the iPad 4! That couldn't happen so they changed the name to the new iPad to reduce the impact. They announced the iPad 4 along with the iPad Mini and most of the people didn't even realized a new iPad was out.
I don't remember if it was Fox News or another outlet, they were talking about how the apps would work on the iPad mini, so the apple
Guy says to them that all iPad 4 apps and below will work exactly the same on the iPad mini, and the news outlet didn't know there was an iPad 4, they actually reported that it may be a new iPad apple was workin on. So, yeah, I think this lawsuit is right, and the fact that stores sold the iPad 3 even after the 4 was out at the exact same price just proves the point. Customer had no idea they were purchasing an old model, and how could you know when the product looks the same, the name is the same and the price is the same.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
And it other news, Apple bans all future generation iPad sales in Brazil so all its citizens feel that their iPad 4 is the best..... FOREVER!

BRO,RUMAD?

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Austin, TX
"planned obsolescence"

Are you *********g kidding me?! You're going to sue someone just because they released a new product? If that's the case, then you should be doing a lot of suing.

Don't you just love technology! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Stupidest lawsuit ever. If they win then I see Brazilians simply not getting interim product updates like those we see on laptops and such (e.g.: processor bumps or minor spec bumps).

The iPad 4 is to the iPad 3 what a minor spec bump is on any laptop. I am a happy iPad 3 owner and if iPad 4 does not have enough to make me want to upgrade then I will simply wait for iPad 5. No big deal.

Nothing about the previous product fails to function because a better one is released. Nothing about the iPad 3 was falsely advertised -- it does everything it says it does.

This needs to be thrown out of court (assuming the lawsuit is real).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.