Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Only obvious to someone who knows what to look for. Ask 100 random people what a Lightening connector is, and you'd be lucky to find one who knows. Not on any side of the lawsuit, and I don't even know if this issue is a part of it.
You really like defining things your own way, don't you.

Ask the same 100 people if the two connectors look different when looking at them. If 100 of them don't answer yes, I assume you forgot to show them.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Re #2: I ask sincerely - when you go to an Apple store (or even Best Buy) and ask for the iPod - do they sell you the newest or a previous model that isn't necc distinguishable? What are the differences (are they same/more significant) between the models?

Perhaps the confusion doesn't exist for iPods and Macs because Apple and other retailers don't sell older models and/or - on the floor - label them clearly what year/model they are.

Do we have any idea how the iPad 3 vs iPad 4 has been marketed, displayed, etc in Brazil. Because I see a lot of people stating opinions as if they know and/or are familiar with Brazilian law.

Exactly. Problem One is, these articles are always short of critical information -- but that doesn't stop some people from assuming that they know everything anyone needs to know to form a strong opinion. Very few are willing to admit that they really don't really have enough information.

Just for fun I pulled out the box for my third gen iPad. Of course it wasn't called that, and the box isn't labeled as such. It doesn't even mention the Retina display, though this was after all the big change made in the third generation.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Nothing to be careful about. Just stating the truth. Anyone who owns an iPad 3rd Gen (which includes me) and thinks they were wronged because Apple released the 4th Gen 6 months later is an idiot. Pure and simple.

The 3rd Gen is still an amazing device that does everything that it did when I bought it. The release of the 4th Gen did absolutely nothing to change that.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
If a passenger flies to X city last month and this month he flies back to the same city, it happens the last month plane seat has been upgraded to a better seat meaning a bit wider and will the flier ask for partial refund ?
This is a case of buyer beware, I will not let apple fool me for buying a product too early in the introduction state.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You really like defining things your own way, don't you.

Ask the same 100 people if the two connectors look different when looking at them. If 100 of them don't answer yes, I assume you forgot to show them.

You are dodging the question. Of course if you put them side-by-side and pointed it out, they'd notice the difference. But even if you made someone notice, how many would know what the difference means?

Probably approximately zero. I am into defining things in a useful way.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1481563/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1539604/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1348655/

http://www.mouseprint.org/2012/12/10/apple-ipad-version-changes-confuse-buyers/

I just googled iPad 3 and 4 boxes. I can see how there could be confusion. Does one say what cable comes with what - didn't see via picture. I assume it's there. BUT - if you don't know what cable is newer vs old - then how would you know that lightening is newer.

Again- I think the case is frivolous - but some of the banter on here on whether or not it's so easy to tell versions/etc and such doesn't gel. Given that Apple's "mantra" includes such saying as "it just works" etc - and how everyone and their mother has an iPhone or iPad and can use it right out of the box. It's not unreasonable to keep that line of thinking and state that the same people who don't want complex devices don't care about/know what cable is newer than the other.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You are dodging the question. Of course if you put them side-by-side and pointed it out, they'd notice the difference. But even if you made someone notice, how many would know what the difference means?

Probably approximately zero. I am into defining things in a useful way.

What question? I am not dodging, if anything you are by turning this into a discussion about marketing terms instead of your original claim that these two iPads are physically identical. I guess...I don't know how people in Brazil buy things, but you don't think looking at them is part of the process?

And plugging them in is their only use for the connectors. So...you still don't think they'd understand they are not the same product?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Re #2: I ask sincerely - when you go to an Apple store (or even Best Buy) and ask for the iPod - do they sell you the newest or a previous model that isn't necc distinguishable? What are the differences (are they same/more significant) between the models?

Not sure about physical stores, but the online Apple Store lists older models by generation (e.g. "4th Generation").

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I skimmed as much as possible but I just wanted to mention that they do build Apple products in Brazil in case it has not been mentioned.

First world problems? It is not that hard to learn considering there have been news articles about it here on MacRumors. People outside your home country are people too.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Nothing to be careful about. Just stating the truth. Anyone who owns an iPad 3rd Gen (which includes me) and thinks they were wronged because Apple released the 4th Gen 6 months later is an idiot. Pure and simple.

The 3rd Gen is still an amazing device that does everything that it did when I bought it. The release of the 4th Gen did absolutely nothing to change that.

Yes, if the lawsuit is strictly about consumers feeling like they were "wronged" when sold an iPad because a new model came out later, then I'd agree it's ridiculous. However if the question is about Apple selling consumers a previous generation of product when the new one was also out, without their being fully informed, then it might actually be about something. I don't honestly know.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not sure about physical stores, but the online Apple Store lists older models by generation (e.g. "4th Generation").

Unfortunately on the Brazil site -there's no mention of the 3... On the US either

http://store.apple.com/br/browse/home/shop_ipad/compare

I couldn't find a refurbished section on the Brazil site. But on the US site it's labeled as you suggest.

But you'd have to go to that section/know to go there.

But that doesn't really matter as I think this is more of an issue about physical stores. I could be wrong. We all could be :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What question? I am not dodging, if anything you are by turning this into a discussion about marketing terms instead of your original claim that these two iPads are physically identical. I guess...I don't know how people in Brazil buy things, but you don't think looking at them is part of the process?

And plugging them in is their only use for the connectors. So...you still don't think they'd understand they are not the same product?

The question is whether one in a hundred consumers could tell you what a Lightning connector is, let alone how it differs from another kind. Since this was your point I think it's up to you to explain it.

Pretty soon I hope you will get that I am not commenting on the Brazil lawsuit.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
They are right, Apple is known for making things not as good as they could have the first time. Look at the phones, Apple tv, ipod, ipad ipad mini

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Next press release from Apple: "Today we proudly introduce the iPad 5, our best iPad ever. It is available today world-wide, except in Brazil, where we must wait at least 12 months before introducing updated versions of products in order to avoid being sued for improving products too quickly."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.