Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
MacRumors said:
There is no support for English at this time.

笑死我也。

The handwriting support is only for Traditional Chinese of the Republic of China (commonly known as "Taiwan") .. There will be no keyboard support for Traditional Chinese. And no handwriting support for Chinese of People's Repbublic of China.

Apple developed handwriting recognition only for Traditional Chinese, so does it mean that iPhone will be sold "legally" in Taiwan soon??!!

亂講,沒讀完啊,他說有簡繁輸入,所以當然有可能在大陸賣啊,但在台灣我希望不要綁約。。。要不然中華電信得要賺死啦!

and, I hope it'll come out in Taiwan too. coz people are selling it in 光華 for a rip off of NT$21000.

I'm using WeFit to do exactly that on my Touch. 還不錯輸入法!

http://fit.coollittlethings.com/

thanks for the tip!

Ummm... yes you can. The same way you look up a kanji in a regular dictionary--by sorting by radical and counting strokes. People have been looking up kanji for 2000 years without iPhones.

you made me laugh :) haha. seriously though, some people are so conceived to the latin writing system. gosh.

That's not necessarily true.

The typical day to day typing could be easily done easily by using a phonetic input system, be it Hanyu Pinyin (mainland China & Singapore) or Zhuyin Fuhao (Taiwan), or some variation of Cantonese phonetic input (Hong Kong).

注音符號 is dumb. I cannot type fast with that. although it's laid out nicely on the keyboard, i just can't find them quickly. but on the other hand (haha, pun not intended) 漢語拼音 uses latin alphabet which is so much quicker since i type english very fast. I'd just like them to make a 繁體版 because I use traditional chinese not simplified.

anyone know if I can type Traditional Chinese characters (I'm in Taiwan) in my Iphone using Pinyin? Right now I have NativeCN but it seems to only have Simplified Chinese with Pinyin.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way or there isn't now?

本人也是從台灣來的haha

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
it seems to me this is a sign of different form factors in future iPhone "platform" devices. I don't think an iPhone as we know it would use a stylus but some other device could....

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Let me illustrate to all you how Chinese is typed on a computer:

here's a picture taken from my iphone of my macbook.

Look at the keys:

img0227yo2.jpg

bottom left corner - english and/or chinese pinyin input
top right corner - chinese zhuyin input
bottom right corner - chinese cangjie input

I really do not know how to input 倉頡 (cangjie) because it uses parts of the character and some method to puzzle the character up... There has been methods of typing in cangjie, zhuyin and pinyin from thirdparty apps via jailbreaking, although it does not work 100% fine.

All the above methods can input chinese traditional, but zhuyin and cangjie can't do simplified chinese as far as i know. One positive aspect about pinyin is that you don't need to type the accents, which slows down typing in zhuyin method.

to type chinese with pinyin, the default is as follows on a mac (this is typing on firefox's quick search bar):

- command+space to get to chinese, change the top bar to chinese pinyin
83747231ph6.png

- start typing (spelling the word out in pinyin system). you'll see this:
50215596ot1.png

- then press space and it'll auto-pick the characters.
86765684hz9.png

- if the intended characters is not automatically selected, press backspace (delete) and a word list of the same phonetics will pop up and you can then select it manually.
20122690mk9.png

P.S. the words shown here is "hello", "你好".

roach

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2006
And in case you missed the first post, Apple had it long before the Tablet PC with the Newton...here it is again:

I wasn't referring to English character recognition, I don't dispute that newton was the one of the first to implement that feature. I was referring to Chinese character recognition. And the reason I said to check the end of video where the guy was demonstrating Chinese, er Korean character recognition.

Simmerl

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Ummm... yes you can. The same way you look up a kanji in a regular dictionary--by sorting by radical and counting strokes. People have been looking up kanji for 2000 years without iPhones.

True.

I guess I'm just angry about still having to carry around my denshi jisho with its hideous interface and stylus input.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
True.

I guess I'm just angry about still having to carry around my denshi jisho with its hideous interface and stylus input.

true. I also have one denshijisho. but for me chinese-english translation I just use google "fy apple" for example, or the built-in dictionary for english dictionary... the german/french expansion in the denshijisho isn't helping much... I still use my trusty wörterbuch/dictionnaire for german and french.

I hope they'll also have a dictionary app (in english and between two languages) as well, even if it's from 3rd party. finally some more uses for the multi touch screen. but i don't know whether it would be accurate enough to recognise input with many-stroked characters... coz i mean that picture "中" is too simple.

crooks1782

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
I haven't seen any other device for kanji input/recognition until this. I know a little Japanese, but learning kanji is really tedious. And without knowing kanji you can't read even the most basic things like a restaurant menu. I think that this will be great for native Asian iPhone users and perhaps even more useful (at least in the technological life-line sense) to foreigners visiting Asia. I'm extremely excited!!

Nevermind. I guess Nintendo Ds has a kanji dictionary that you can input kanji directly into the touch screen and get Japanese to English or English to Japanese translation. Fun games for the beginner kanji student too!

http://www.tofugu.com/2007/08/02/studying-japanese-with-a-nintendo-ds/

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#

weili

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
注音符號 is dumb. I cannot type fast with that. although it's laid out nicely on the keyboard, i just can't find them quickly. but on the other hand (haha, pun not intended) 漢語拼音 uses latin alphabet which is so much quicker since i type english very fast. I'd just like them to make a 繁體版 because I use traditional chinese not simplified.
So let me get this straight...

A whole system is "dumb" because you are not good at it? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I personally prefer Hanyu Pinyin input over Zhuyin Fuhao too, even though I was educated in Taiwan, until the fourth grade at least.

When I was in Taiwan, I was able to input Chinese with Zhuyin Fuhao quite easily because I memorized where each letter is. However, when I came to the U.S. I learned to type in English and started slowly forgetting the placement of Zhuyin Fuhao on the keyboard. The fact that U.S. keyboards lack the Zhuyin symbols doesn't help either.

So now I can input Chinese with Hanyu Pinyin much faster than with Zhuyin Fuhao. With that said, there are still millions in Taiwan or elsewhere who are much more familiar with Zhuyin than Pinyin, some of my cousins in Taiwan are good examples.

The same principle applies to older people who may prefer to actually write Chinese into their computer with handwriting recognition than to type.

Point is, the world doesn't revolve around you.

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
I haven't seen any other device for kanji input/recognition until this. I know a little Japanese, but learning kanji is really tedious. And without knowing kanji you can't read even the most basic things like a restaurant menu. I think that this will be great for native Asian iPhone users and perhaps even more useful (at least in the technological life-line sense) to foreigners visiting Asia. I'm extremely excited!!

Actually, I'm in Japan right now and I have a handheld kanji input device sitting right next to me. You can find them in most of the electronics stores in Japan. It's EXTREMELY useful and I can only imagine how useful an iPhone/iPod Touch would be with chinese character input, particularly if it's linked to Japanese or Chinese dictionaries.

Considering one of these kanji recognition devices in around $300 new, I think it would be a great to the iPhone/iPod!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
But one error here is that the white dragon is a blank tile. It isn't. Blank tiles are SPARE tiles incase you lose one, you can carve or write the missing tile's characters on it.
White Dragons are the tiles with a fancy black (or blue) outline.

The problem is different set makers have different tiles, the two sets we have circa 1920 with ivory faces are just blank tiles, yes we also have 4 additional blank tiles as well which you can use to replace a missing tile. The only difference between the two sets, tile wise, that I can remember off hand is the 1 bamboo is slightly different.

That being said a lot of the modern plastic sets have the character on the white dragon tile, though very rarely (if at all) do you find a modern set with tiles that feel as good in the hand.

This can also just be one of those regional differences for older sets as well. It could potentially also be a way to distinguish between to set makers. Or just save money by using less ink :)

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Taiwan is not part of China, and will never be a part of China.

Taiwan is free, whereas China is not.

Taiwan respects human rights, whereas China does not.

Do know the difference.

The handwriting support is only for Traditional Chinese of the Republic of China (commonly known as "Taiwan") .. There will be no keyboard support for Traditional Chinese. And no handwriting support for Chinese of People's Repbublic of China.

Apple developed handwriting recognition only for Traditional Chinese, so does it mean that iPhone will be sold "legally" in Taiwan soon??!!

weili

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008

Taiwan is free, whereas China is not.

Taiwan respects human rights, whereas China does not.

Do know the difference.
Save your 台獨 nonsense for a political forum.

Read hahajose's post again, he made no mentions of Taiwan being part of People's Republic of China.

Taiwan's official name has been and still is 中華民國 Republic of China (ROC), which is different and separate from the 中華人民共和國 People's Republic of China (PRC) on the mainland.

Sure most people simply call ROC "Taiwan" just as many people call the USA "America" but does that necessary make it official or even right? ROC contains more than just the Taiwan island, it also includes Penghu isles, Jinmen, Mazu, Lu Dao just to name a few. Just as the name America should really refer to the continents of North, Central and South Americas, rather than just the USA.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
So let me get this straight...

A whole system is "dumb" because you are not good at it? :rolleyes:

yes, you are correct there. If you feel offended, but if you are, I apologise. I meant that typing 注音 is not as nice as typing 拼音, although it is great when you read/right it (no computer involved). I also learned the 注音 method and I moved overseas when I was in primary school, and like you, the english letters are easier to find than the bpmf.

well taiwan is/was already part of china, I dunno how it will not become part of china, therefore your argument is flawed. please don't come with politics of 台獨 in a mac forum. go express it elsewhere.

trimmed... let's save politics for another day and another place. I'm so sick and tired of these type of stuff.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006

emulator

macrumors 6502a
well taiwan is/was already part of china, I dunno how it will not become part of china, therefore your argument is flawed. please don't come with politics of 台獨 in a mac forum. go express it elsewhere.

trimmed... let's save politics for another day and another place. I'm so sick and tired of these type of stuff.
sure you're tired if you think different. but the fact is Taiwan is independent from china, no matter how the propaganda of the chinese communist regime interpret it.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
The community discussion forum is the place for political discussion, not this one.

The politics of Taiwan has nothing to do with handwriting recognition in the iphone 2.0 Beta. Please keep to the topic.

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
With the multitouch trackpads on the Macbook Pros, I'm wondering why this isn't implemented in OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.