Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
You sure could. But why spend all that money on a mini when you could just take that extra money and put it towards an iMac which offers even better performance?
As I've already stated, I'm not interested in the iMac's display.

----------

There are us out here that may want to use our own dual display setups. Nothing wrong with Apple's beautiful 27" displays, but you put something w/o glass beside it? Ruins the dual display happiness factor. Lots of us can't afford 2xApple 27" displays.
You can still drive two displays; one via HDMI (with DVI adapter) and one via thunderbolt (with DVI adapter).

People are crying. It's post after post of bitching and complaining. It's not discussing. It's "You screwed me Apple and I'm mad." People going on about how they won't be giving them their dollars. It's a whole "I'm taking my ball and going home." attitude. The old graphics option was hardly any better than the integrated graphics. This integrated graphics should be slightly better than it.

Remember, Apple makes this machine to sell to those looking for web browsing, email, word processing and maybe light game. It's not meant to be a gaming machine. For 99% of those that consider the Mac mini, it's more than enough as it stands. Those looking to game should look elsewhere as that has never been what this machine was about.

To the contrary, many people are making valid points germane to the thread.

As these are intended updates, there's no obvious good reason to not clearly improve the HD 6630M Mini in all departments, even if the HD 4000 makes sense in the base model.

FWIW, I have the HD 6630 model & it's no slouch for anything but fairly modern, graphically-intensive games.

As I say elsewhere, IMO, for the price being asked, I'm not surprised that many people might have expected similar updates generally, but at least to have a definite improvement on the previous, higher-end Mini's HD 6630M discrete card.

Hoping for another, slightly better discrete card in the higher-end Mini, whilst also doubling the previous VRAM to 512, isn't really expecting a lot or something unreasonable here.

I imagine most of those complaining now might have been pacified.

As it is, only Apple in the entire computer hardware industry would effectively give you a slight graphical downgrade in the higher-end Mini.

FWIW, I like using Macs. They're excellent computers in many respects, but find it disappointing that greed seems to have no bounds with this company.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Looking for advice.

I am planning to get a new mini (not sure if I'll go for the dual or quad core yet, given that there's no graphics incentive for going for the more expensive model anymore), upgrade the RAM myself to 8GB (easy), and the HDD to an SDD (never done it before, but I'm game).

Will I see any major performance benefit to having a second 1TB HDD inside the mini over using an external TB or USB3 drive?

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
It is pretty bad for most users!

Admittedly though the IVy Bridge GPU ought to come close to the performance of that half useless chip. People are knocking the Intel GPU pretty bad in this thread, but HD4000 isn't half bad for 2D, some might see it as competitive. Unfortunately Intel sucks hard when it comes to 3D even on Ivy Bridge.

I don't want to say I'm disappointed, but losing dedicated graphics (even just the half-useless chip they used before) makes this is a downgrade IMO.

Now I just don't know what to do...
Write a nasty letter to Apple? Really they need to feel a little heat as Mini just doesn't cut the mustard for a lot of users. They did exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for, which is wishing up about the Mini and giving us a real differential between the entry model and the "Power User" model.

Even the bump to the "server" model is now pretty damn pathetic.

Disappointed in one way as the Mini really won't cut it as a primary machine in this configuration. I can see myself buying it for other uses, but honestly the new iPad is far more appealing.

I hate to say this but I might have to start looking harder at Linux again. If Apple is going to munge up hardware this bad it might be worth suffering through Linux's rough spots.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The new Mini isn't a "bad" machine but it is a step backwards!

I don't care about the graphics - I'm considering running it headless - as our server - Thrilled with the i7 and updated ports - pulled the trigger on a 8gb - 1 tb FusionDrive version today.

I'm sure plenty of people will find a range of valid uses for the Mini, I even have a few in mind. The problem is I can't see buying it as my primary desktop computer due to the lack of good 3D support. If you run design automation software or other three D apps that need that 3D support, even occasionally, you are screwed with respect to the Mini. The big advantage of the old Mini with the AMD GPU was that it was viable for the occasional user of such apps. Now we are talking a huge regression.

It makes you wonder if Apple is just too damn lazy to design a Mini with a slightly bigger power supply to handle a GPU with a respectable amount of RAM. This is really frustrating to say the lest. It makes you wonder if Apple has had some sort of tantrum with NVidia and AMD.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yep a lot of good in the new Mini and one big snag.

Upgraded processor, kept FW800 port, and upgraded to USB 3.0 are all great. Processor upgrade from quad 2.3 i7 to quad 2.6ghz i7 for only $100 more is not a bad deal (I'm surprised it was not more!).

Bummer that the hybrid drive upgrade is $250 - ouch! Lack of discreet graphics is a bit of a bummer too, though the 4000 is probably better than what is in my core duo 2 I have now. These last two bummers will probably keep me from upgrading for now. I'll wait and see what the Mac Pros look like when they are upgraded in 2013 before deciding what to get.

The HD4000 is very good as long as you don't want 3D support. Even if you are an occasional user of 3D software the performance hit can be very significant.

The hybrid drive isn't a big deal as you can get similar performance advantages the DIY route. Frankly due to the cost of SSDs these days you are likely to do much better DIY. What I mean here is that 128GB drives can be found for under $100 these days, $250 can get you a fairly decent SSD. It makes me wonder if Apple is using stock parts here or if special hardware is involved. Frankly I wouldn't even consider buying the Hybrid solution until we find out if this feature is software or hardware based and if software does that software support customer supplied drives.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Is it easy to change hdd to ssd on the newer minis in case the price for 256 gig ssd is a bit steep? A 120 ssd i sufficent for me.

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
The Hard Drives are still 5400 RPM!

A 5400RPM drive with 2.5" discs would still read data faster than a 3.5" at 5400RPM. The amount of data per platter also matters. More data = denser = faster. 2.5" is already a decent bit denser than 3.5". It's not all black and white :)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
IMac has never made sense to me, I'm not sure why people even buy it.

Check out the iMac specs-the hard drives are now 5400RPM as well!
They made it thin so they had to use slower hard drives? Does this make any sense at all?

Nope! Seriously the reason to go iMac was to get a performance advantage over the Mini, slow drives will suck bad. It is probably Apples way of encouraging people to buy the expensive hybrid upgrade.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
If you don't understand what is being discussed then don't post.

People are crying. It's post after post of bitching and complaining. It's not discussing. It's "You screwed me Apple and I'm mad." People going on about how they won't be giving them their dollars. It's a whole "I'm taking my ball and going home." attitude. The old graphics option was hardly any better than the integrated graphics. This integrated graphics should be slightly better than it.
That statement is complete BS. Intels solution lags significantly and that is against the old GPU in last years model. There are far better GPUs available now.

As for the taking the ball and going home, if the game is over would you leave the ball? It is a reasonable expression in this context and frankly one Apple needs to hear.
Remember, Apple makes this machine to sell to those looking for web browsing, email, word processing and maybe light game. It's not meant to be a gaming machine.
Are you that stupid that you don't realize there is uses for GPUs other than gaming. I mean really that is a statement designed to incite hostility otherwise.
For 99% of those that consider the Mac mini, it's more than enough as it stands. Those looking to game should look elsewhere as that has never been what this machine was about.

You are full of crap. The vast majority of Mini users are not gamers to begin with. Second do you have even the foggiest idea about how GPUs are used in modern computers? Maybe you do and are just trying to troll the forums. Whatever you just make yourself look clueless.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Interesting, thanks. Might be worth the upgrade then, instead of just waiting for the new Mac Pro. I guess I could use the old one as a file server or Windows box.

It might be worth it just for the power savings - my main machine is on 24/7. The Mac Pro 1,1 draws I think about 400W at idle. This maximum this mac mini is supposed to draw is only 85W. It probably idles at about 40W at a guess. If you leave your main machine on 24/7 then that would save over 3000 kWh a year - that can amount to a significant amount in current energy prices! Actually, that's about £400 here... makes me consider one even more...

Ok so here is a question for you guys...I am a photographer (so i work with tons of RAW image files, photoshop, Lightroom etc.) and am looking to upgrade my current machine, which is a 2008 Mac Pro with the following specs:

-2 x 2.8ghz quad-core xeon
-10GB 800mhz DDR2
-ATI Radeon HD 2600 256mb
-1TB 7200rpm boot drive

I have been needing to upgrade for quite some time now, my current machine just feels sluggish. I have wiped the machine clean multiple times with a fresh install of OSX, but it never really seems to help. I think the hardware is just old in this machine. So my questions is, would the new Mac Mini with the following specs be a better performer than my current machine?

2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
1TB Fusion Drive

I know everyone is slamming the non-discreet graphics, but is it really any worse then my old Radeon 2600? I really can't afford the new iMac at this time, so this is my only option if I want to upgrade. Or would I be better off keeping my Mac Pro and adding some SSD drives, a new graphics card, and more memory?

Thanks!

It really depends on what you're doing. You have a true 8 core machine. The Mac Mini will be faster for single threaded applications but your machine will be faster for multithreaded stuff. I think the Mac Mini's graphics is actually better than the HD 2600 but if you've stuck with that all these years then chances are you don't use the graphics much. If your machine is feeling sluggish it will likely be due to the hard drive.

If I were you, I would buy a good SSD drive - e.g. a 512GB Crucial M4 and switch your boot drive to that. It will make it feel much much faster. If you do decide you want to switch to a Mac Mini, you could always put that new hard drive into a Mini, it would fly with one of those.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
Since I run my 4 year old mini without a keyboard, mouse or monitor, I'm interested in the i7 version as an upgrade. I want to see the benchmarks first. All I do is run 'tv shows' and 'iVI' or 'Handbrake'. After that, it's just my itunes server for 4 appletv's in 3 houses. Right now it takes about 20 minutes for 22minutes of low end HD and about 47 minutes for 720P. Like to pick the pace up a bit.

purtsak

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
sooo disappointing that there is no graphics card i dont need more processor power for music and hd movies i use it with my projector so i am very disappointed :mad: and it would have been cool if it was better for gaming as well and yes i would have paid more for that

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
The upgrade is ok. I didnt expect a huge bump. The mac mini was always geared for grandma or as a HDTV media center. but For my $$ im sticking with my dual core MM, it serves its purpose just fine

Ha. Actually, it's also perfect for businesses. It's our standard machine. We upgraded from Mac Pros earlier this year. My mini has an SSD and an HDD. So in addition to losing the discrete graphics we have also lost the ability to add two different drives, which was nice for backing up your boot drive onto a partition of the HDD. Needless to say, we will hold onto our 2011 models for as long as possible. :confused:

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Man, seems like Apple is trying their best to make everyone convert to Windows/Linux. Seriously, what are they doing with their Mac-lineup? How can they underestimate the use of a solid GPU this much ?

JonAvalon

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
I wonder if this graphics is better than my current GMA 950 in the mini I have now :). It's running most 1080p fine, but it starts to show some age and want to replace it.

I'm guessing the HD4000 is kind of ha hell a lot better than GMA 950, and even does some hw acceleration on some video formats right?

Miles better than the GMA950

ceraz

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
I've read this thread and I must admit this internal graphics issue just comes back time and time again. But for non-tech gurus like myself it's difficult to understand the implications.

We don't question that the iGPU is not equivalent to a high-end discrete card.

So putting memory/HD aside my understanding is:
(1) The mini will not be able to handle highly demanding games, some may pass at a lower quality
(2) Has no issue with video editing/playback in 1080p (eg. iMovie or Final Cut)
(3) Has no issue handling large music libraries (say 250GB)
(4) Has no issue handling large photo libraries (say 200GB) with iPhoto or Aperture
(5) has no issue handling re-coding movies (eg Handbrake etc.)

So apart from the geek bench data can someone give a meaningful idea of an intensive application/use that would be limited by the iGPU ?

purtsak

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2012
I've read this thread and I must admit this internal graphics issue just comes back time and time again. But for non-tech gurus like myself it's difficult to understand the implications.

We don't question that the iGPU is not equivalent to a high-end discrete card.

(1) The mini will not be able to handle highly demanding games, some may pass at a lower quality
(4) Has no issue handling large photo libraries (say 200GB) with iPhoto or Aperture

So apart from the geek bench data can someone give a meaningful idea of an intensive application/use that would be limited by the iGPU ?

this is some of the things mojo audio writes

All Mac Minis have the following I/O ports: HDMI, 4X USB, I/O optical digital audio, I/O analog audio, Firewire, Thunderbolt, SD card, and ethernet.

Several CPU and video processor upgrade options are available at the time of purchase. Please note that RAM and hard drives can be upgraded at any time, but CPUs and video processors can not be upgraded.

We offer the following Mac Mini processor upgrade options:

2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 main processor with 4GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD 6630M video processor.
2.7GHz dual-core Intel i7 main processor with 4GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD 6630M video processor.
The 2.7GHz option is highly recommended for customers who intend to use audio DSP and/or HD video.

so for this the 2011 2,7 is better than the new mac mini if i understand it correctly

spartig

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I'm a software developer and I do a lot of things on my PC. I can understand if someone needs more RAM, faster HDD or SSD, better CPU, etc. But HD4000 will render your desktop and UI with same speed and quality as standalone chip will do. Of course 3d games is different thing. But because you use your computer only to play games doesn't mean everybody does! ;)

But now seriously, I really want to know, is there any reason to have more GPU power other than 3d games? Or photoshop is so advanced now that it uses GPU for filters? Maybe 3d modelling tools?

Nice come back! However I hardly play games. There are professionals that do Photoshop, or 3D work like you mentioned. I imagine also rendering HD video, particularly if you are rendering more than 1080 would benefit from a better GPU. The uses for a high powered GPU are just so endless beyond games. Really only limited by your imagination and what you need to do.

I'm sure there are also people in the scientific community that use high powered GPUs.

----------

Yeah but that HD4000 will destroy an SGI with a highend IMPACT board and outperform a Cray C90.

So you get your visualization workstation/unix and a Cray with HIPPI and SSD option in a small box the size of a couple of CD cases :D

Hehe, nice! :D

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Yeah but that HD4000 will destroy an SGI with a highend IMPACT board and outperform a Cray C90.

So you get your visualization workstation/unix and a Cray with HIPPI and SSD option in a small box the size of a couple of CD cases :D

Seems pretty irrelevant to compare a Mac Mini (or any other modern PC) with any computer that launched decades ago. :rolleyes:

xyzedd

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Didn't the old HD 3000 model have problems? 23.976 IIRC.

So does the HD4000 :(

Was waiting on this mini to see if it also had HDMI 1.4a (previous 1.4 only) so it could do 3D, but nothing in the specs about it.

So with the HD4000 and I'm guessing no 1.4a, it's PC build for me now.

Sorry Apple that's 2 new products I've been hanging out for (13" rMBP being the other). But it's back to PC world for those purposes - sigh.

statenine

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Is the hard drive and memory user replaceable in these things? I am thinking about picking up the mid range mini but would like to upgrade to an SSD and 16GB of ram myself from OWC.

xyzedd

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010

2 & 4. My ex PC laptop had switch able video HD4000 and an Nvidia. The videos and photos were horrendous on the HD4000 (artefacts galore), I could only edit in video/imaging apps switching to the NVidia.

Hence why I bought a 17" i7 QC Mac soon after - with a discrete GPU. Though it had a 5400rpm drive that kept throwing up speed problems with video work. So took out the ODD and added an SSD and made the 5400 for storage only.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
So does the HD4000 :(

Was waiting on this mini to see if it also had HDMI 1.4a (previous 1.4 only) so it could do 3D, but nothing in the specs about it.

So with the HD4000 and I'm guessing no 1.4a, it's PC build for me now.

Sorry Apple that's 2 new products I've been hanging out for (13" rMBP being the other). But it's back to PC world for those purposes - sigh.

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.