Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Why would somebody pay $2,500 (all said and done) for a laptop that only has 250GB of space and no disc drive?!

I would if it were 250GBs of SSD storage in a super thin body that had the processing power of the current MBPs and comparable PCs with a super high resolution display.

I'd pay $3200 for a 17" version of that machine with 4x USB 3.0 ports.

leftroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
This new macbook really is amazing!! And i'm happy that the SSD is in fact socketed!! :)

However I will hold off my purchase until the next revision, as I'm worried that it might be suffering from rev.A issues.

Don't say that! ;) I can report back when it arrives. "Only" a month of waiting. I know it's pretty stupid to buy a rev A but hey, you can always return the computer if it's not ok within 14 days.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Everyone and their grandmother knows its Intel.

But Apple would like everyone to believe that its their own creation... just like their 'resolutionary retina display'

Too bad none of you have ever given credit to samsung.

So fair criticism to Apple for completely FAILING at thunderbolts execution.

So because you're under the mistaken impression that Apple is claiming that Thunderbolt is *their* baby, it is 'fair criticism' to claim they are 'failing' at thunderbolt's execution...

Wow. I don't even know where to start.
1) Apple doesn't (and never has) claimed that Thunderbolt is 'theirs'.
2) Apple supports Thunderbolt on every PC they sell except for the Mac Pro.
3) There's a few dozen high-end Thunderbolt peripherals on the market now, and several dozen more announced but not yet available.
4) This has happened all in the time *leading up to* when the rest of the PC market will start to support Thunderbolt.

Nothing here points to a failing of Intel's Thunderbolt execution, much less Apple's.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
again more one-sided comment from Apple fanatics. Soldered RAM and 650M GPU? Get with the program, PC laptops already have models with 7970M and 680M available. Buying a new MBP with Retina display is all about cosmetic, like buying a Ferrari with a Honda Civic engine in it.

Look at my sig. I'm not a Apple fanatic at all. I use a Thinkpad running Win 7 for everything. I'm on it now. I'm also a tech who does nothing but work with Windows. I like them both and for my uses a pc is all I need. I don't do anything a Mac is excellent for anymore. The new MBP is just a brilliant design with a wonderful display.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
Don't say that! ;) I can report back when it arrives. "Only" a month of waiting. I know it's pretty stupid to buy a rev A but hey, you can always return the computer if it's not ok within 14 days.

Don't be alarmed! My comment was based on personal phobias as i have been burned before.

I'm sure your new laptop will be fine and will serve you well for a long long time! ;)

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I can't wait to watch highly compressed itunes "HD" movies on a retina display, I am sure it will look a lot better than a blu ray on my Sony laptop.

Umm, jokes on you? You probably can't tell the difference on a 15-17" screen, which I assume is the size of your laptop. I mean, you can't tell the difference in many cases between 720p and 1080p when watching on a 15-17" screen - forget about two 1080p streams compression or not.

Now, if you're outputting to a 55" TV via HDMI that's another story.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Umm, jokes on you? You probably can't tell the difference on a 15-17" screen, which I assume is the size of your laptop. I mean, you can't tell the difference in many cases between 720p and 1080p when watching on a 15-17" screen - forget about two 1080p streams compression or not.

Depends on how far away you're sitting from it. The human eye resolves arcs, not dots.

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Or they are perfect for those people that do actual work in an actual infrastructure that is properly shared, protected, etc... None of my media is on my MBA. I would have a 2 TB drive in there and it would still be empty. My music collection is on a NAS, with all my documents, on proper mirrored storage, backed up and accessible on all my devices simultaneously with no syncing required.

Frankly, the only thing holding me back is the fact that you're getting a 1440x900 screen essentially. I'd still rather get the "old" MBP with 1650x1080 hi-res option. At least that gives us usable pixels. Sharper text is nice and all (the retina display on my 4S is amazing to look at), but I'd still rather just have the raw pixels to work with and 220 PPI is just too high, while Apple's 110 PPI 1440x900 is atrocious.

Laptops should have minimum 130 PPI with around 160 PPI being ideal. This gives the best compromise between usable pixels and text visibility.

Wouldn't you be OK if you just adjusted the Retina Pro to scale down the resolution to 1920 x 1200? Wouldn't that increase usable pixels? Essentially bringing it to around the 1650x1080?

----------

Depends on how far away you're sitting from it. The human eye resolves arcs, not dots.

Ya. And at the median distance from a laptop screen while watching a movie or whatever, it's not going to be noticeable. I'm not sure the distinction between arcs (you mean arc length?) and dots is even necessary. All I'm saying is that at the average distance away from a 15-17" screen, the human eye is barely able to perceive the extra detail that would be contained in those extra pixels while you're watching a 1080p movie vs a 720p movie.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Wouldn't you be OK if you just adjusted the Retina Pro to scale down the resolution to 1920 x 1200? Wouldn't that increase usable pixels? Essentially bringing it to around the 1650x1080?

When I made that post, the scaling information on Anand wasn't revealed yet. As I said in that thread, now I need to see it in person to see how good the technique comes out before I pass judgment on it. Yes, a 15" MBPR at 1920x1200 is sounding sweet (translates to a 147 PPI screen essentially).

----------

Ya. And at the median distance from a laptop screen while watching a movie or whatever, it's not going to be noticeable.

The beauty of a laptop is that there is no fixed distance at which you can watch it. ;)

Last edited:

Bauer24

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Vancouver, BC

When I made that post, the scaling information on Anand wasn't revealed yet. As I said in that thread, now I need to see it in person to see how good the technique comes out before I pass judgment on it. Yes, a 15" MBPR at 1920x1200 is sounding sweet (translates to a 147 PPI screen essentially).

----------

The beauty of a laptop is that there is no fixed distance at which you can watch it. ;)

OK, cool. Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on reviews of the scaling - and I'm gonna try testing one out in person this weekend.

JacobMarley

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
retina display on the 13" macbook pro on the horizon?

Does any of you guys know or think Apple will start to manufacture retina display ensemble on the 13" macbook pro models?

please reply

leftroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Don't be alarmed! My comment was based on personal phobias as i have been burned before.

I'm sure your new laptop will be fine and will serve you well for a long long time! ;)

Yeah, thanks! No worries. I had an iMac 27" that didn't serve me well, so I have phobias as well. A lot of backlight bleeding and such. But I think this MacBook Pro has no problems :) I sure hope so!

jmull

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Not Upgradable-Boo

Why would somebody pay $2,500 (all said and done) for a laptop that only has 250GB of space and no disc drive?!

Can't upgrade the battery either from my understanding. This is huge for ppl who leave their Macbooks plugged in a lot. Batteries don't like to be plugged in except when charging. They've soldered everything down it seems.

It's simply a non-starter. Drop the price in half and we'll talk.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Went to Apple Store to visit with the 15" Retina MB Pro

Seems too large, especially with Retina display. Would be great to have a 13" version, but I don't create content so the iPad with Retina is perfect for me.

Some guy checking it out with his wife asked out loud "where's the Ethenet port?" Seriously? You're still asking for one? They didn't recognize the Thunderbolt ports. I was waiting for them to whine that it didn't have a DVD burner. It's kind of obvious that the deletion of the DVD confirms that Apple will be killing it off within the year in all other models. Time will tell.

The lower part of the bezel didn't have "Macbook Pro" inscribed on it, leading me to believe that with Apple having retired the Macbooks the Pro distinction may go away, or the Airs will become the Macbook, and the Retina-based laptops will be Pros.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Some guy checking it out with his wife asked out loud "where's the Ethenet port?" Seriously? You're still asking for one?

I honestly think most of the world must just spend all their time tweeting or something if they can't notice the obvious and stupendous superiority of Gigabit Ethernet over any form of WiFi in existence.

Even in the same room as my dual-radio WiFi router, my 802.11N connection is like 1/4 the average throughput as using a Gigabit connection. I suppose if all you use is a relatively slow Internet connection and/or never transfer large files between other computers on the same network you might not notice and think that wires are a waste of time, but believe me when you start getting further from the router and are watching HD streams or copying a movie file over, it's NIGHT and DAY.

The mere fact that even if you don't always use all the bandwidth that it's available and VASTLY SUPERIOR to WiFi should be reason alone to leave it on the MBP. But here's a case of choosing THIN over functionality and it's a shame. If they just had a smaller non-standard port with an adapter, it might be tolerable, but instead you will have to use another port that is in extremely short supply (either Thunderbolt or USB, either of which only has a lousy two connectors on-board thus requiring you to carry a hub with you as well in many cases). The (Mariott) hotel I stayed at for nearly two months on business last year only had high-speed Ethernet in the rooms (I created my own WiFi connection for my iPod Touch using the MBP). The point is that the standard is still the wired standard and WiFI is not a replacement for a hard-wire connection and never will be (always less secure and always going to be slower than what's possible with the latest wired connection).

Apple is trading high-end features for 'thinness' and that's downright STUPID on a "Pro" notebook, IMO.

Care to explain how does USB3 render Thunderbolt obsolete?

I would say it's more like it's probably going to be relegated to niche markets just like Firewire was, but then I've said this since Day 1 and for obvious (cheap/mass-market/backwards-compatible/fast enough for most consumer uses and vastly superior to USB2 in all respects) reasons.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Care to explain how does USB3 render Thunderbolt obsolete?

I would say it's more like it's probably going to be relegated to niche markets just like Firewire was, but then I've said this since Day 1 and for obvious (cheap/mass-market/backwards-compatible/fast enough for most consumer uses and vastly superior to USB2 in all respects) reasons.

For the 99%, USB 3.0 is perfectly fine. The 1% who can use the extra features of T-Bolt won't generate high enough volumes to keep T-Bolt from fading into high-priced oblivion.

You saw USB 2.0 kill 1394, why even question that USB 3.0 will kill T-Bolt?

I was at Fry's yesterday, and a T-Bolt 3 TB disk drive was $650. A USB 3 TB drive was $150.

T-Bolt has died as a primary interconnect. Apple users, however, will buy tons of T-Bolt to USB 3.0 dongles.... Cha-ching!

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The retina MB Pro IS your Mac Pro. Is it missing something you wanted, other than a tower shape?

How about the ability to add 32GB of RAM, dual processors, a professional GPU, eSATA, a DISC DRIVE, expandability? And what about I/O, I need all 4 firewire ports and more USB ports than are available, even with a hub. And what about compatibility with my existing dual aluminum cinema displays? There's nothing pro about this computer. It should be called the MacBook Plus.

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
How about the ability to add 32GB of RAM, dual processors, a professional GPU, eSATA, a DISC DRIVE, expandability? And what about I/O, I need all 4 firewire ports and more USB ports than are available, even with a hub. And what about compatibility with my existing dual aluminum cinema displays? There's nothing pro about this computer. It should be called the MacBook Plus.

Ditto X 10.

And how about PCIe cards?

I have no problem with the MBP Retina - beautiful machine and maybe one day I'll buy v.2 - but I'm tired of people who don't know better claiming they can do what my Mac Pros can do.

I'm a video editor, filmmaker, photographer and musician and my hogs work all day. The MBPs are great, but they could not keep up with them. Get real. There's a difference between a fanboy, which I certainly am, and someone who's ignorant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.