Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yeah, too bad laptops don't have hinges. :rolleyes:

I meant the apparent visual size of the screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_angle

jolie1.1.jpg

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
30years on location producer for commercial filming, no connectivity outside of ideal wifi setting makes the new macbook pro line unusable in the field IMO. No ethernet, modem etc. not fond of no options for add'l batteries, no optic drive, no upgrade possible, if any component breaks, were out of luck in remote locations. That is certainly not my definition of a pro machine. Seeing that the whole film industry uses mac, I am not sure that these changes are conducive to the industry's continued support. I started on macs since they hit the market umteen years ago. No 17"? sorry but not going back to 15" I need more real estate. Not looking forward to migrate to PC's but for the first time in my career I have an eye towards them. My sentiments are that if Apple does not need to listen to what pros need anymore, we do not need to support mac anymore. I sorely miss Steve of old...

editor58

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
MBP Shipping

I ordered one but not due to ship until 4th July. So much for 5-7 business days! :mad:

OH, NO, Tim Cook said it's available TODAY! And at Apple, Today means ummm,,, sometime next year. MORE Bull Patties from Apple.

I have a "reservation" in at Best Buy, why? 210,000 Chase Reward Points = $2100 in gift cards which= 21 $100 cards. So here's the real question?

Will I get my MBP 15' Ret w/ 512 FD before Best Buy goes Belly up? OR will Apple ship them the day after the store locks their doors forever?

Tune in next week to see if Horatio Cain takes is sunglasses off to offer a stupid script line :D

Last edited:

editor58

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
30years on location producer for commercial filming, no connectivity outside of ideal wifi setting makes the new macbook pro line unusable in the field IMO. No ethernet, modem etc. not fond of no options for add'l batteries, no optic drive, no upgrade possible, if any component breaks, were out of luck in remote locations. That is certainly not my definition of a pro machine. Seeing that the whole film industry uses mac, I am not sure that these changes are conducive to the industry's continued support. I started on macs since they hit the market umteen years ago. No 17"? sorry but not going back to 15" I need more real estate. Not looking forward to migrate to PC's but for the first time in my career I have an eye towards them. My sentiments are that if Apple does not need to listen to what pros need anymore, we do not need to support mac anymore. I sorely miss Steve of old...

The whole film industry does NOT use Final Cut. Before and now there is AVID which is a FAR superior editing package to Final Cut. Final Cut came along to to advance the "argument" of editing software. 60 Minutes had been offered FCP or AVID, and they chose AVID. The Cohen Brothers cut No Country in FCP why? Because Apple gave them Hundered's of Thousands of Editng Gear to do it. FCP is a toy compared to Avid DX Nitrus or Symphony. Media Composer (MC) is smarter and way more ergonomic AND thinks like and editor. I see you have a lot of Production experience and I respect that! FCP came out for Laptops by Apple to take a market share from a sleeping AVID Corp. They were successfuy in smacking Avid in the back of the head while sleeping and woke the bear. Now, don't get me wrong this is not a debate here. I have 5 Emmy's worked at CBS for 20+ years, used a number of software programs and encoders, FCP serves a purpose and that is (was) portability & affordability, period. AVID is expensive and with the Support Contracts is insaine but with their Laptop software (in response to FCP) they still have a more ergonomic and smoother package. If you have never cut on AVID, you should try it. It does come down to comfort and personal preference. I too like my son's 17" MBP but it's like toating around a dumptruck. I had a 17" Dell with SSD, PCIE Slot, 2 Raids, Trackball, I was a one man Army and the Dell performed flawlessly. It was every bit as expensive as the MBP loaded up.

I might suggest that you move to MC on a High End Dell with SSD and you might never look back.

As for ME, I am buying a MBP (my first Mac) w/ ret and 512FD I WILL put FCP on it, and I WILL buy the Thunderbolt to Ethernet dongle but this is not for immediate professional use but we'll see where it goes.I hope you find what you're looking for because the reality is a Monkey can push the buttons but "Tell me a Story!" (Don Hewitt)

Editor

Last edited:

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
No argument on my part comparing avid to FCP and editing. Running film sets in remote areas is another story. The macbook pro dominates (d) as a portable office solution and remote network for production staff. Failure on the set while in production is not an option with redundancy as key to success in eliminating any possibility of failure(s). With having experienced hardware failures in the most inopportune of locations, the expandability of the mac was crucial in our ability to fix the problem onsite so production would not be crippled. I am not talking about backing up or saving data, rather the capability of fixing the computer and keeping it running while on the job and saving the data. No expansion capability = no fixability when on the job if away from from the comfort of any ideal urban setting, traveling, or on location in *timbuktu* where you would be hard pressed to find an *internet cafe or Genius bar*. I guess I will have to get used to macs as a social gadget and take your advice on looking to other solutions.

editor58

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
No argument on my part comparing avid to FCP and editing. Running film sets in remote areas is another story. The macbook pro dominates (d) as a portable office solution and remote network for production staff. Failure on the set while in production is not an option with redundancy as key to success in eliminating any possibility of failure(s). With having experienced hardware failures in the most inopportune of locations, the expandability of the mac was crucial in our ability to fix the problem onsite so production would not be crippled. I am not talking about backing up or saving data, rather the capability of fixing the computer and keeping it running while on the job and saving the data. No expansion capability = no fixability when on the job if away from from the comfort of any ideal urban setting, traveling, or on location in *timbuktu* where you would be hard pressed to find an *internet cafe or Genius bar*. I guess I will have to get used to macs as a social gadget and take your advice on looking to other solutions.

HOW TRUE!! Reliability and a Crash are BOTH key factors on location. Mac has mostly been a NON User fixable platform from the very begining. If the MBP goes ****** to Bed on a location shoot you're dead. Nothing is going to beat spinning platters on an HDD but for Set Data, you're gonna back up to a USB 32 gig Flash drive anyway. My first AVID in 1996 was on a MAC Platform which is where they all were. It was awful! Really sucked! As soon as AVID went to PC, so did we! Never went back. So MY MBP will be used for photo editing, playing on FCP, CS6, Pro Tools and non-mission critical production. I just had a 32 GIG iPond Touch go ****** to Bed after upgrading to 5.xx. Apple will happly fix (replace) the unit for $149. *******S! Not a Scratch on it, hardley used, and Dead as a friggin Doornail. Out of Warantee. Jobs is raping me from the grave! ...and so it goes.

HOW TRUE!! Reliability and a Crash are BOTH key factors on location. Mac has mostly been a NON User fixable platform from the very begining. If the MBP goes ****** to Bed on a location shoot you're dead. Nothing is going to beat spinning platters on an HDD but for Set Data, you're gonna back up to a USB 32 gig Flash drive anyway. My first AVID in 1996 was on a MAC Platform which is where they all were. It was awful! Really sucked! As soon as AVID went to PC, so did we! Never went back. So MY MBP will be used for photo editing, playing on FCP, CS6, Pro Tools and non-mission critical production. I just had a 32 GIG iPond Touch go ****** to Bed after upgrading to 5.xx. Apple will happly fix (replace) the unit for $149. *******S! Not a Scratch on it, hardley used, and Dead as a friggin Doornail. Out of Warantee. Jobs is raping me from the grave! ...and so it goes.

If you are going World Wide, the Dell is a Perfect Solution! They can get you a PC Overnight if necessary. A SSD 1/2 TB would be ideal, and they rarely fail. The newer ones are starting to look like MB's.
Here is one similar to one I used on Location:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bwct86ac&model_id=precision-m6600&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

The XPS is another:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn#!facets=55846~0~5930681&p=1

Windows 7 64bit is very stable. You can get Safari for Windows too.

Last edited:

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
ouch on the iPod... Im fix it myself kind of guy troubleshooter so I know that hurt. got a shoot coming up in Macedonia Oct... I'll look into the comps you mentioned and others perhaps as a trial ill bring one and have it as a back up this time just to test the waters on the PC platform.. (didn't have many great experiences in the past with PCs), and if my macbook pro 17" bites the dust for any reason (i.e. outdoor heat in Macedonia) ill have the other...no matter how hard it is for me to swallow the mention of pc.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I would say until now the Macbook pros were fairly serviceable in the field, my tool is the pro 17" last gen with OWC data doubler 2 X256 SSd's with an emergency kit - back up ram, back up SSD, G drive mini and basic comp tools.
Ive only had one catastrophic motherboard failure coffee induced on the set, got a new board though and replaced it in 45mnts!. I can't see myself in the middle of nowhere staring at a non serviceable comp with no recourse on the job. So this mac stays on the job till it fries then ill probably venture to an alternate solution in the future and mourn the good old mac days.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´ve lugged my MBP on location around the world, on almost every continent. From dessert to jungle, open ocean to the freezing cold mountains and never had a problem that couldn´t be fixed. Maybe I´m lucky, maybe I just trust my MBP to work (and it always does) even if it´s beat up and dented by now.

I would worry if I lugged most PC laptops around and gave them the same abuse I have given my 3.5 year old MBP.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Thats the problem.. the new Macbook pros cannot be user fixed..if a simple ram chip goes bad or the SSd, then your out of luck. Basically Macbook *pro* has now become a disposable computer.

Reactions: Jynto

nu2mac07

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Like it so much I bought a new one twice

Well I didn't twice actually buy MacBook Pro, it was given to me! But was given to me so close to the release of this new one, that I was able to convince the retailer to let me get this new one with Retina display and bring the "old" one back... It maybe weeks before I get it, but at least my order is in process!

But here's my point, I've been on Windows since the OS was invented and I switched over the Mac because I like the features and how nice machines looked, in the OS seems more responsive etc... etc... But if I wasn't getting this machine as a gift, I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend the big buck$$$$$ on it

Is anybody with me or am I just crazy:cool:

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
ouch on the iPod... Im fix it myself kind of guy troubleshooter so I know that hurt. got a shoot coming up in Macedonia Oct... I'll look into the comps you mentioned and others perhaps as a trial ill bring one and have it as a back up this time just to test the waters on the PC platform.. (didn't have many great experiences in the past with PCs), and if my macbook pro 17" bites the dust for any reason (i.e. outdoor heat in Macedonia) ill have the other...no matter how hard it is for me to swallow the mention of pc.

I don't get the complaining.

You realize they still sell the old MacBook Pro?! Nobody is forcing you to by a rMBP....

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012

If you are going World Wide, the Dell is a Perfect Solution! They can get you a PC Overnight if necessary. A SSD 1/2 TB would be ideal, and they rarely fail. The newer ones are starting to look like MB's.
Here is one similar to one I used on Location:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bwct86ac&model_id=precision-m6600&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

The XPS is another:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn#!facets=55846~0~5930681&p=1

Windows 7 64bit is very stable. You can get Safari for Windows too.

Even though I'm late i had to comment. This was such a nice discussion btw two obvious knowledgeable individuals without any kind of bashing that seems to go in these kind of threads. Anyway I'm still holding on to a 2008 MBP 15", 2009 MBP 17" and a 2011 15" and don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Used my MBP 17 for "mission critical" work for 3 years now - this machine has been used every day, usually 10+ hours, it's been carried in a backpack every day, it's been to 5 continents, it's been everywhere with me at all times and it never missed a beat. Best computer ever. I think it has a lot to do with the unibody construction - made it bullet proof.

Now got a retina MBP. If you don't have one then you have no idea. Using this machine for now 3 days in production - and speaking of production, do you know how long it takes from taking one of these babies out of the box to actually being able to work, with all your settings, apps, desktops, tweaks, documents, media, etc restored? Less than an hour. If you're really mission critical I am sorry you're not going to "save" $100 by using a Dell, you're going to bring a second backup Mac with you.

Anyway using this for 3 days now I can say with confidence than all computers will have retina displays a year or two from now. The difference is subtle at first - my first impression was that it's a good screen, but not exactly revolutionary. And that's the first reaction of people I show it to too.

But once you get to spend some time with it, it hits you - this is amazing. Your eyes thank you, everything looks super sharp even when going close, there is no way to go back. It's like HD TV vs standard. I can set it to 1440x, 1680x, or 1920x and each setting looks razor sharp.

Typical Apple move here, really. The retina display requires huge engineering resources to pull off. They had to write their own gfx card drivers because standard these cards don't do scaling at high resolutions like this. Yet it's not a feature you can easily sell on the show floor - it's a long play. It's something that will make people love your machine - once they've had it for a while.

Well that and the fact that this is about 10x as fast (felt) as my old MBP, and about half the size.

I am sorry but if you don't have one, your opinion on it is simply not going to be very informed, whether you're a fan or a basher. It takes time to appreciate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.