Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Have they mentioned anything else about how the resolution will work?

Will the 2880x1880 provide the same "physical" work space of the current 15" MBP without the h-res screen, or is there an option to tailor it to how you want it, like rumours suggested?

I don't want a 2880x1880 display if it's just a crisper version of the current low-end displays... I'd rather just buy the 1680x1050 hi-res version and have more physical space to work with. :)

From the tech specs:

Retina display: 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colours

Supported resolutions: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

Not sure what the quality would be like at those resolutions though.

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
So all the China announcements didn't happen? And the expansion of Siri features to many other countries? Get a clue.

Take it you are a Yank? Try using Siri with a Scottish accent, as for Baseball cards? Man, nobody outside USA cares.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
A fraction slimmer ... So what ... PATHETIC and hardly noticable

Cry me a freaking river.

This sucks!! :eek: Was eagerly waiting for iPhone 5 announcement. What a let down!!! :mad:

:rolleyes:

American-centric cr*p. Boring and nothing exciting. Man I wish be could bring Steve back to life.

This event was a total FAIL. Nothing groundbreaking. Siri sucks as well.

Granted the MacBook Pro is awesome but £2000. Man that's a week in Vegas money. Worst WWDC ever.

Trying to increase your post count I see.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Not my cup of tea just yet. Everything is soldered in which means paying Apple's premium for any BTO £2000+.

Also majority of apps won't be compatible for a while...and its a Rev A product. Will wait for design to be tweaked of any quirks and more compatible apps to be available and maybe even a price drop.
Looks like from the picture the SSD is replaceable (mSATA connection). RAM definitely isn't though!

New Retina MBP looks great, just wanted a 13in version :(

Chilla

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
This is basically a Macbook Air+.

The difference between the two in configuration boils down to the screen and video card. You don't get additional built-in storage options and the ports have nearly all been removed. The difference is minimal.

This was the killer for me. I'd happily shell out the money if the storage wasn't so limited and the components were user upgradable. I'm pretty sure I have 256gb of programs and code, let alone any personal media I'd prefer to keep on a laptop rather than external storage.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Why would anyone buy the "old" updated 15"? Its the same price as the retina, you just get more storage (HDD) and faster processor.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
So their $500 ipad has a better resolution than their entire computing lineup until you spend $2200?

And I want to do is have two readable pages beside each other in word or excel.

What a total let down.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
what about the microphone input? I need both audio in and out. Great, now I'll have to buy an adaptor. Good news is, that's the only thing I have to complain about. I want this! Oh well, I'll get a new one next year.

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I'm probably in the minority here, but I was hoping for some more distinct design changes to the MacBook Pro.

In no way am I implying that the previous generation design was poor, in fact, I love it; neither am I saying that retina and the thinness of the new generation is not much of a design change, it's a great achievement. (Hope that made any sense lol).

To me, at first glance it looks like the now previous gen MBPs until you see the screen and how slim it is.

Macbook Pros do not have to always match your purse or earrings. They look fine the way they are.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Now I just need to find $2200 on the ground.

I am surprised Blizzard is making a Retina update of Diablo 3...can that graphics card really power the game at such a high resolution?

Diablo 3 is really easy on the GPU. It runs on everything maxed on my 4 year old GPU at 2500*1600.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I like it, but it is just too expensive. With BTO upgrades, it will be ridiculously expensive. And without an update to iMacs or Mac Pros, I may be looking elsewhere to update my Macbook.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Sucks that I bought a maxed-out top-of-the-line MacBook Pro just 15 days ago.

:mad:

Have you not visited MacRumors lately? Considering how many rumors there were about the MacBook Pro update, why would buy anything?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Minor gloat.

Blue Ray: What Blu Ray? It's already obsolete.

Optical Disk Drive: Gone, it's a good thing that Apple was willing to take this step so that people can enjoy a slimmer form factor, better battery life, and more efficient internal design and thermal solutions. Who knows how long the ODD would have stuck around if there wasn't a company willing to make that move first.

Retina display: apparently not impossible after all.

iMac: A little disappointed that the iMac wasn't updated but there is probably a reason for that, best not to spoil future opportunities to steal the spotlight and announce great new products.

The lack of accurate predictions from technology 'analysts' really makes you wonder what they're being paid so much to do, since they seem to reliably miss seeing any changes to tech being made before they've been made.

GeneralSpecial

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
So...no IMACS?!

what the heck? The iMac hasn't been updated in over a year, better processors are available, etc. Has Apple forgotten that developers depend on a desktop development environment?

nrwray

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
What gives???

So okay the new MacBooks look great. But where's the new iMacs? Or better yet, WHERE'S THE NEW MAC PROS????????? I work in the visual effects field and have been waiting for a new MacPro for 2 years now. Come on Apple get off your butts and do something about this......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.