Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Something interesting to note. Apple are basically announcing that the thing has a Retina Display with their wording of the invite. I think that suggests they have something secret in store for us, maybe software or hardware for the iPad 3. Anyway, i can't wait!

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
The screen looks pretty much like it's around 100 PPI to me...

Oh wait, that's because my monitor is running at 100 PPI. :rolleyes:

You have to consider the fact that the display is greatly magnified. The image itself is 100PPI on your screen, but the iPad looks higher.

kmanmx

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
UK
Am I the only one that thinks the 'And Touch' is simply in reference to it being an iPad ? I really don't think it's suggesting anything.

UNMENINU

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I think you're close but my thought is this....

See = retina
Touch = No Home Button

I for one think the home button is too icon apple to lose. But what if it instead was a multi gesture home button. There was a thread discussing the patent apple had for this many months ago.

GERGreg427

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
Fort Worth
Please stop posting this and wasting space on every single thread page.[/QUOTE]

It actually is more crisp. look at a ipad 2, then this photo. Those number don't have jagged edges.

I do like how they use the maps, calendar, and keynote to tell you where, when, and whats up.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The photo is a mockup, I believe, becuase I just couldn't get the angles right to show the same proportion of icons, bubbles, finger or bezel.
Tough call. Were you doing your testing on a unit with the same resolution as what's being announced? The resolution difference could affect everything you've checked against.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
It's NOT in landscape mode.
I've just attempted to recreate this shot using my iPad 2 and the bubble cluster (or rain drops, whatever you like..) just above the finger is only visible in portrait mode.
Also, the 3 icons are on the far right edge of the dock (again, identified by the bubble cluster), so this doesn't suggest at all that there's no home button because the shot can be taken without including the home button.

The photo is a mockup, I believe, becuase I just couldn't get the angles right to show the same proportion of icons, bubbles, finger or bezel.

They could've changed the wallpaper slightly to show off the retina display more.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
It's NOT in landscape mode.
I've just attempted to recreate this shot using my iPad 2 and the bubble cluster (or rain drops, whatever you like..) just above the finger is only visible in portrait mode.
Also, the 3 icons are on the far right edge of the dock (again, identified by the bubble cluster), so this doesn't suggest at all that there's no home button because the shot can be taken without including the home button.

Have you tested your theory against iOS 5.1?

jamessnell

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
"something you really have to see. And touch"..

Funny.. I made that same announcement at a public pool a few weeks back.. People sure got excited about that too.. But.. More in a "kick his ass!" sort of way...

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Anyone notice the retina screen? Its not even pixelated in the invite.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
My guess, that's not an iPad but something else and as intended it's made to assume it is.

Touchscreen Macbooks? Apple TV (actual TV with LCD) with touch?

Hmm.

Will be interesting to see whats the truth.

techdogg

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
Marketing

Good note... I wonder if we will see new maps app too???

I think "Peace" got it right. It's marketing at it's best.

Calendar Wednesday 7 = the date of the event
Keynote app = it will be a keynote presentation
Maps? = usually an indication that the event takes place at 1 Infinite Loop. That's the street address of Apple's headquarters. But we know the event is in San Francisco, so.... not sure about maps.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
original.png

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Tough call. Were you doing your testing on a unit with the same resolution as what's being announced? The resolution difference could affect everything you've checked against.

I changed my mind about it being a mockup, but even still, proportions don't add up.
Yes, you're right, the resolution change could explain everything.

Have you tested your theory against iOS 5.1?
No, but do you really think the wallpaper and dock positions would change drastically from 5.0 to 5.1...? Not from what I've seen so far (I have used 5.1).

They could've changed the wallpaper slightly to show off the retina display more.

They could, but apple tend to just make higher resolution versions that still look like the originals, so bubble placings etc would be the same. They ARE in the same position on my iPad 2 running 5.0.1, just can't seem to get that angle like the photo.

That could also be due to my slightly chubbier fingers than the hand in the photo :p

Forgot to mention: I see pixels in my photo of my iPad 2. Clear differences in the text too.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
nothing to see here folks... Keep it moving.

I'm not happy with iOS so I doubt I'll be cracking out the credit card until I see some significant changes with the OS... are you listening Apple!!?? I need better customization and widgets and better multi-tasking! (seriously)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.