Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
The MEDIA will report it differently, irregardless of whether the new phone has holograms or lasers, makes free beer or is able to summon promiscuous mermaids.

If it's called something like an iPhone 4GS, the MEDIA will say 'Apple failed to deliver the much anticipated iPhone 5'. If it's called the iPhone 5, the MEDIA will say, 'Apple successfully delivers the new iPhone 5'.

A name does mean a lot. And people will line up more quickly for something like an 'iPhone 5' because it would SEEM newer and more advanced than an 'iPhone 4GS' even if it had all the same features.

That's a good point actually. Many people claimed disappoint because the 4S was not called 5.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Hmmmm....I'm one that argues for the 5 making sense and even I don't agree with this. Any hardware upgrade to the iPhone 4 would have constituted a new hardware generation. If it had ONLY been Siri, then I could agree....but that wasn't the case.

But perhaps.....what is the identifier for this model in iOS?

By his methodology, the new phone should be the iPhone 4...

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hardly anyone buys these incredibly expensive, box-looking 'tech spec geek' advanced professional machines. I don't see why they even continue selling them, they must only sell mainly to professionals. 99% of people only need the speed of normal PCs/macs now. Facebook doesn't require much.

You do know what section of people ACTUALLY SAVED APPLE right? If it wasn't for the pros, you wouldn't have Apple at all!

Also....Ugh Facebook isn't a measure on how a computer works. In that case, any old smartphone, and even smart TV will fulfill people's needs, and they don't need a computer at all.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think I'm the only one here, but I'm not very excited about the iPhone 5. The problem is: I should be because I just sold my iPhone 4s today.

Why do people SELL their iPhones/iPads early before the new ones get announced? Seriously?

I have an iPad 1. It was feeling old, so I was going to get an iPad 3 no matter what. But, when it came out, it just didn't impress me enough to shell out $600 or so - (for the 4G model). So, I opted to SAVE that money for another year, and wait for the iPad 4. (My original iPad is still working good, and I'm glad I wasn't seduced by the retina display or front camera or Siri)

I know you can make another $100 or so selling early, but now you're FORCED to get a new phone - be it a new iPhone or Samsung phone or something. But I'm not forced to buy a new phone.

I'm keeping my iPhone 4 until after the announcement. If it's not compelling for me, I'll stick with the iPhone 4 for another year and save MORE MONEY than selling my iPhone now.

shegss

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
How can I connect my pair of Jbl studio monitor to my JBL sub (260/230) I'm using Mbox 2 audio interface. I'm using Macbook Pro.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
So the sixth iPhone will be "iPhone 5"...

The seventh will be "iPhone 5S".

The eighth iPhone will be the "iPhone 6".

And people really think this makes more sense than simply calling the SIXTH iPhone the "iPhone 6" or "The new iPhone"???

gguerini

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
completely agreed. Surprisingly i'm not excited at all, and it's not because of the leaks, heck, everyone was excited about the iPhone 4 even after the leak.

I'm keeping my 4S and will probably either get the iPhone 5S or 7.

Yeah.. well, "it's almost there" right? I will wait and see.

ps: I really want a MacBook Pro 13' Retina. :)

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

And people really think this makes more sense than simply calling the SIXTH iPhone the "iPhone 6" or "The new iPhone"???

lol @ people still giving a **** about the name

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011

It's called marketing, turns out Apple knows how to market extremely well. Trust them. Yes, their recent Genius Bar commercials were controversial, but all of their other commercials make you want to own their products, they are straight, to the point, and sell the product in 30 seconds.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Finally! Now all the morons can stop insisting it's going to be called the "iPhone 6" which would go against Apple's naming system for the iPhone's previous incarnations!

iPhone 5! The next will be iPhone 5S, the one after that will be iPhone 6.

DO YOU GET IT NOW? CAN WE STOP ARGUING ABOUT THIS EVERY YEAR BECAUSE I WILL ALWAYS BE RIGHT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.