Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
+1

I fully expected it to be called "the new iPhone."

"new iPhone" has no more sense than iPhone6 by Apple logic. With iPad apple seeks to create a totally new market, they hope iPad will replace PC, literally; they want people say "iPad" like now they say "pc", not tablet but iPad.

iPhone 6 was obviously wrong; Jobs and Apple have adopted (and praised) the intel tick-tock strategy; so you have 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and now 5. Generation doesn't count; they had 3G / 3GS as firsts tick and tock and they are going up from there.

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
What makes sense to everyone except geeks who are anal about inconsequential stuff, is that 5 comes after 4.

If they called the new iPhone "iPhone 6", 97% of the target audience would go "Eh? Why the hell did they jump from 4 to 6?".

The remaining 3% would masturbate in delight (These are the same 3% who exclaim "OS Ten!!!" when they overhear strangers talking about "oh ess ex").

well yours is a valid point but its straight up embarrassing i think when people use beautiful and sophisticated technology and don't even know what its called

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
HERE'S A SIMPLE EXPLANATION FOR THE NAME.

There was the original iphone. It didn't need a number.
The iPhone 3G had 3G. No shocker there either.
The 3GS was a vast improvement in speed. Thus, 3rd generation.
The 4 was the 4th GENERATION iPhone. It was completely new.
The 4S wasn't completely new. It just added siri. Still technically the 4th generation of the iPhone.
The new iPhone will be the 5th GENERATION of the iPhone. It doesn't matter which one it is. The number stands for the generation, not how many products were before it.

tl;dr
the 5 is for the 5th generation iPhone.

Apparently the only one apple admits to not being a generational upgrade was the 4S. All others were MAJOR improvements.

Your system doesn't make sense. The 3GS is a new generation because it added speed but the 4GS wasn't because it added Siri, despite both looking the same as the previous iteration?

Based on your system, it would be more correct to say the 5 is the 4th generation iPhone.

MuzakaEklekta

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
Just done a levels adjust in Photoshop... Clearly an intentional number 5. I can get onboard with iPhone 5.

6342221e.jpg

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
HERE'S A SIMPLE EXPLANATION FOR THE NAME.
The 3GS was a vast improvement in speed. Thus, 3rd generation.

Had nothing to do with a 3rd generation. It was just the faster version of the 3G. They kept on saying that during the 3GS event.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s always a mistake not to wildly micro-analyze an Apple invitation. No detail is what it may seem at first, no detail is unintentional, and no detail is unimportant!

I searched this thread but I don’t think anyone has noticed: “It’s almost here” has Salmo in the middle of it, plain as day.

Salmo is a genus of fish that includes the Atlantic salmon and brown trout.

I am blown away. The implications of this seem obvious—though Apple might still have a surprise up its sleeve.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Ok, people, let's have some fun here.

It's almost here. Means that it is near... wait, Near? Hmmm.

It's almost here. Just a little longer. Wait, Longer? Hmmm.

5. Shadow. Five o'clock shadow. Need to shave. Shave it thin. Wait, Thinner? Hmmmm.

1, 2, buckle my shoe.

Ok, I've got nothing for that one. :D

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
So the sixth iPhone will be "iPhone 5"...

The seventh will be "iPhone 5S".

The eighth iPhone will be the "iPhone 6".

And people really think this makes more sense than simply calling the SIXTH iPhone the "iPhone 6" or "The new iPhone"???

It's tick/tock strategy, adopted by intel. They startes that from 3G that became 3GS and they are going up from there.
Honestly who spend his time counting the generations of a product? Or even remeber that detail? Nobody. So, it's simple, yes. N°/N°S

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
For all us 4S users

I changed the email signature last year on my iPhone 4S to read:

"Sent from my 5th generation iPhone"

While I agree that technically it should be called the iPhone 6, because the 4 was the 4th, etc. ....

We've all been waiting for the iPhone 5, and so thus it shall be called.

(Heck, we all hoped the 4S would be the 5 :):cool:

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
The thing is... when Apple launched the iPhone, they probably already had ideas and maybe even prototypes of future models, but they didn't have a detailed roadmap of new models/designs/features. There was no plan to have model numbers or generations. I think the "3GS" is testament to that.

And so, over the last few years, as prototypes have succeeded (or failed) they have aligned new models of iPhone with an almost annual update. Sometimes they have brought enough design updates to justify a new generation number (let's say the iPhone 4) and sometimes, the new designs just didn't work out (like last year) so they brought an iterative update to their current design. (the 4S)

I don't think they have a core plan to bring out a new design every two years, with a spec update in between. I think that's just how it has worked out so far.

There must be so many variables, not least manufacturing, that determine if the prototype they're playing with at any point can go mass-market a few months later.

For example, there was clearly a teardrop shaped iPhone 5 prototype on the go last year.. but for whatever reason, the decision was not to proceed with it.. so they dumped it, and up-spec'd the 4 to 4S.

This year, they must have the go on a new design, so will call it the 5.

Next year? I don't think we can assume a 5S... perhaps there's a prototype 6 in testing now, with some crazy feature.

But know this, the decision on which prototype gets made into the marketed phone.. and what they call it... is made by high-up Apple execs, after long meetings, and much discussion. And rightly or wrongly, it's working so far.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
"new iPhone" has no more sense than iPhone6 by Apple logic. With iPad apple seeks to create a totally new market, they hope iPad will replace PC, literally; they want people say "iPad" like now they say "pc", not tablet but iPad.

iPhone 6 was obviously wrong; Jobs and Apple have adopted (and praised) the intel tick-tock strategy; so you have 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s and now 5. Generation doesn't count; they had 3G / 3GS as firsts tick and tock and they are going up from there.

No, iPad dropped naming scheme because Apple had the iPad mini in development and they were going to release it in 2012. iPad and iPad mini makes sense, iPad 3 and iPad mini does not, iPad 4 and iPad mini 2 etc. You get the point. Currently there is only one type of iPhone, and Phones need a naming scheme for marketing purposes more so than iPad etc.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Except most fanboys thought that it would follow the naming convention of the iPad, as in "the new iPhone".

Besides, those of us finding issue with iPhone 5 aren't fanboys, merely people who passed 1st grade counting.

True, we all lose because most of us were predicting it'd be marketed as "the new iPhone."

But, no, those who had issues with iPhone 5 weren't people who passed 1st grade counting but didn't know how the real world works. See post below:

This is for all the stupid idiots that don’t know how the real world works.

2007 iphone named: iphone (because it’s a cool name)

2008 iphone named: iphone 3G (because of the 3G speed)

2009 iphone named: iphone 3Gs (because of the extra speed for the 3G)

2010 iphone named: iphone 4 (because it would be dumb to call it iphone 5,6,7,8 or anything else.)

2011 iphone named: iphone 4s (because every two years they like to add a “s” for speed and calling it 5 would be retarded when it looks the same. It also allows them to sell a crap load of new phones with very little changed.)

2012 iphone named: iphone 5 (because that is the name. If you ignore the dam “generation” and how many phones there were. And if you look at the world outside your nerd house; you will notice that EVERYONE else in the REAL world is waiting for the iphone 5. It will just confuse to many people and make even less sence to call it anything else. READ EXAMPLES)

The generation argument is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

Generation Example:
2012: iphone 6
2013: iphone 6s
2014: iphone 8
2015: iphone 8s
2016: iphone 10
2017: iphone 10s

Makes sense Example:
2012: iphone 5
2013: iphone 5s
2014: iphone 6
2015: iphone 6s
2016: iphone 7
2017: iphone 7s

Nerd speak “well you can’t call the 2016 iphone 7 because it’s the 10th phone”

DUMBASSES!!

I also think they will / should keep the numbers so they can keep adding the “S”. If they drop the number every other year the phone would be called “the new iphone s”?

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
"It's almost here"

It

iT

iTV

This is irrefutable proof that the new Apple Television set will be announced tomorrow :rolleyes:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Not sure why you people see a 5 in that invitation. It's just a 2 looking like a 5 if you ask me, the 1 being out of focus or something

2.jpg

this event is probably just about the new iMacs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.