Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
i currently have a @live.com address (it's old), anyway can i change it to @icloud.com?

Because iCloud.com isn't letting me sign in with my current Apple ID

Last edited:

Solowalker

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I'm also a little bummed they used some sort of denim background instead of the Lion linen. Oh well, so much for continuity. :rolleyes: I guess others might be pleased that it's not there.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I can log in but it's useless to me because I can't install the iCloud beta from imzdl.com on my MBA and I don't have iOS 5 yet. September (or October, apparently) can't come quick enough!

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Welcome to MacRumors.

Follow along my friend, and enjoy the forthcoming posts (a la iOS 5b) about how this (beta) broke this and disabled that. There's a reason there's a "b" after the build number, and if you've followed previous threads you'll know what I am referring to. The "how can I fix this" mantra hijacks these threads.
Your welcome directly contradicts telling me to read previous threads, but who cares, really. As you know, I hope, MacRumors is a news site, and I primarily read it on Twitter. As a result, I very, very seldom browse the forums. I will though, but give a guy some slack here. Your welcome is very appreciated, especially in a high speed news thread like this one.

I do understand though that some people probably spend an insane amount of money for pre-release software. I paid the money personally because I have a few ideas floating around in my head, and wanted to understand the in's and out's of this new software to see if I could really bring them to life. I think paying just to have it is ridiculous, but paying to make awesome stuff come to life is totally worth it.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Can log in with my @talktalk.net apple id and access everything

will let me log in with @me.com address but it wants to move my mail/contacts etc to iCloud, bit cautious to do that seeing as non-developers don't have official access yet

pyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
i currently have a @live.com address (it's old), anyway i can change it to @icloud.com?

Because iCloud.com isn't letting me sign in with my current Apple ID

There is no @icloud.com. Everything will still be @me.com just like MobileMe.

How to easily access iCloud.com
  • Install iCloud for Lion beta
  • Add or setup an iCloud (MobileMe, .Mac) account from System Preferences (There is no iCloud preference pane. It's in Mail, Contacts & Calendars)
  • Sign into iCloud perfectly
You can also do the above on iOS 5 beta.

Expired MobileMe and .Mac accounts work with iCloud, and email will start working again. (.Mac accounts can connect as @me.com accounts) However, you cannot use iCloud accounts with iChat/AIM.

I'm surprised Apple opened iCloud.com with a rendering of the new iPhone 5 (unless it's just an absolutely inaccurate rendering of iPhone 4).

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Can log in with my @talktalk.net apple id and access everything

will let me log in with @me.com address but it wants to move my mail/contacts etc to iCloud, bit cautious to do that seeing as non-developers don't have official access yet
I agree... it is still beta. Assume whatever you have setup will break or disappear.

Anything I've put on the iCloud servers can easily be duplicated elsewhere.
The joys of being a developer and beta tester. You get to break cool stuff. :D

RockStarATL

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
I got the iOS dev iWork apps to install on my phone, but not my iPad 2. Both are running the latest iOS 5 beta and I am a registered dev.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
I'm able to log in and I'm not a Developer.

However, I can't (yet) access Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc...

I'm no dev, but was able to log in. Basically though, only devs can actually use iCloud. I can't sync. Although everything works on the website perfectly. Mail too.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
No Mac iWork!?!?!

As expected the only mention of iWork is for iOS not for the Mac. Does all of this mean the Mac version is dead or does it mean that the Mac is dead?

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
There is no @icloud.com. Everything will still be @me.com just like MobileMe.

How to easily access iCloud.com
  • Install iCloud for Lion beta
  • Add or setup an iCloud (MobileMe, .Mac) account from System Preferences (There is no iCloud preference pane. It's in Mail, Contacts & Calendars)
  • Sign into iCloud perfectly
You can also do the above on iOS 5 beta.

Expired MobileMe and .Mac accounts work with iCloud, and email will start working again. (.Mac accounts can connect as @me.com accounts) However, you cannot use iCloud accounts with iChat/AIM.

I'm surprised Apple opened iCloud.com with a rendering of the new iPhone 5 (unless it's just an absolutely inaccurate rendering of iPhone 4).

Thanks for clearing that up!

Is there anyway i can change my Apple ID from a @live.com to a @me.com?

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
not a dev and can login, cant use anything obviously.

the mail part says i need a @me adress to access ? i hope this is not going to be true for the release. :(

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can sign in and move my stuff over, but I haven't did it yet.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
As expected the only mention of iWork is for iOS not for the Mac. Does all of this mean the Mac version is dead or does it mean that the Mac is dead?
I personally don't think the Mac will die in the near future. It's Apple's bread and butter, so to speak. I think the only reason they did that is because of the fact that now the Mac is "just another device". Plus, the emphasis for iCloud so far has been heavily on their mobile field and iOS 5

iphoneIA

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Iowa
I was able to login as and am not a developer. I was able to open Calendar, Iwork, find my iphone, and contacts. Not sure if that means anything. On the other hand I like the layout and how it looks like iOS.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Does Apple compress your data or anything when backing up to iCloud, because surely a 16GB iPhone backup can't fit in, (for free) can it?

They're not keeping one (1) copy of Angry Birds for all 1,000,000 owners, they're just keeping one (1) copy of it and it doesn't take up any of your space (just like songs you've purchased from iTunes).

A problem that I see is apps that have been removed from iTunes (like VLC video player) that you can't download again. The same goes for music, ultimately you are responsible for your own backups. (But what happens with the people who buy iOS 5 devices and don't have a computer to back them up on?)

Gary
http://GarySaid.com/

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
There is no iWork of Mac iCloud because iWork on the Mac is far more advanced than the iOS versions. The iOS versions cannot translate many of the Mac features.

As for iWork on the Mac...getting very annoyed at the lack of a major update. The iOS iWork apps are nice to have, but they ARE NOT ready as a replacement.

laxman101

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
They're not keeping one (1) copy of Angry Birds for all 1,000,000 owners, they're just keeping one (1) copy of it and it doesn't take up any of your space (just like songs you've purchased from iTunes).

A problem that I see is apps that have been removed from iTunes (like VLC video player) that you can't download again. The same goes for music, ultimately you are responsible for your own backups. (But what happens with the people who buy iOS 5 devices and don't have a computer to back them up on?)

Gary
http://GarySaid.com/
Hopefully there will be an option for those people to back up over iCloud, but i'm doubtful. That's just the risk of not syncing with a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.