Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Sorry if this has been posted before, but Apple is now honoring all purchases for price reduction for the Mac mini, so if you bought one right after Keynote, you are intitled to the refund.

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
ScubaDuc said:
It is similar in the rest of Europe. What people have NOT pointed out, is that if you order the RAM as a BTO option you get whatever Apple warranty comes with the product or with Apple care. When ordering from Crucial, you get a lifetime warranty included in the price.

Guess which is a better option?

Apple. Seriously. Buying parts from different sources means you end up with finger pointing instead of warranty service. "The system works fine until I put in this memory module, then it crashes while booting," "Okay, we'll replace the memory module." Three weeks pass. "The system works fine until I put in this memory module, then it crashes while booting." "It's unlikely that two memory modules are both bad. Replace your logic board."

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
dazj said:
UK prices have been dropped now:

1GB Ram: £220
Superdrive: £70
APE & BT: £69.99

Puts my specced 1.42GHz mini under £600 :)

Of course I've not bought it yet...

Oh, and looked at the US Store where the mention of an 8x Superdrive has been put back to 4x, so looks as though 8x burning is off the cards...

Unless they are firmware locked...

UK Store prices seem to have settled down this evening. My order (to be placed on Friday... payday and my birthday!) has gone from £603 to £589 --

Mac Mini 1.42GHz
512MB RAM
Superdrive
Bluetooth + AirPort

so that's good! But the bad news is the 3-4 week delay. :(

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Now if only they would make the hard drive 5400 RPM by default and make the upgrade option 7200 RPM. The glacially slow HD is the deal breaker for me. Apple could make the 1GB RAM option $150 and still make a profit. As sold, the mini is basically unusable unless all you do is run Calculator, and even then you better not try any division or multiplication. Just imagine a switcher trying to run VPC so they can make use of all their windows programs in only 256MB RAM and a slow HD. It will feel like running XP on a 386! This is not the way to win converts.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
rog said:
Now if only they would make the hard drive 5400 RPM by default and make the upgrade option 7200 RPM. The glacially slow HD is the deal breaker for me. Apple could make the 1GB RAM option $150 and still make a profit. As sold, the mini is basically unusable unless all you do is run Calculator, and even then you better not try any division or multiplication. Just imagine a switcher trying to run VPC so they can make use of all their windows programs in only 256MB RAM and a slow HD. It will feel like running XP on a 386! This is not the way to win converts.

VPC is slow on a G5 and this machine wasn't designed to be a VPC monster. Lets be serious here though. Granted the 5400 RPM HD isn't blazing but useless unless you run Calculator? My 1.33 Ghz Powerbook with 5400 RPM hard drive handles the iLife apps fine as well as photoshop etc. Early reviews of the 1.25 mini with 512 of RAM are saying the machine is a dream to use. Don't get carried away with the calculator comments. People out there are still running B&W G3s and 450 - 500 Mhz G4s...

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I noticed that they dropped the 8x superdrive. I am wondering if this was a mistake or if there are some people who ordered in this timeframe and got lucky with the faster drive.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
bpd115 said:
VPC is slow on a G5 and this machine wasn't designed to be a VPC monster. Lets be serious here though. Granted the 5400 RPM HD isn't blazing but useless unless you run Calculator? My 1.33 Ghz Powerbook with 5400 RPM hard drive handles the iLife apps fine as well as photoshop etc. Early reviews of the 1.25 mini with 512 of RAM are saying the machine is a dream to use. Don't get carried away with the calculator comments. People out there are still running B&W G3s and 450 - 500 Mhz G4s...

complete agreement ...

i have an athlon XP 2000+ 1GB ram, 80 gb HD with 7200 rpm and itunes imports at 10-11x speed without correction
as far as i rember somebody state that itunes imports at 15x speed with an 256 mb ram 1,25 ghz mac mini earlier this thread

sure from theoretically point not a good benchmark but for the end user a lot more important than xbench etc.

end less face it..outside of video editing, gaming/massive 3d apps, and perhaps things like audio recording+pro software there are few apps were the _user_ has to wait for the computer... (well except java programms ;) )

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
bpd115 said:

The HD is 4200rpm in the Mac mini. It is a deal-breaker for me too. The rest of the machine is great in my opinion, but everyone knows that the hard disk is one serious bottleneck. Sure, you should be able to upgrade to a faster disk yourself, but then the price gets ever closer to an iMac G5. For performance I don't think you can beat the iMac for value. That's why a friend of mine and I picked up a nearly-new iMac G5 1.8GHz the other day instead of a Mac mini. Am going over to install a 250GB 7200rpm SATA drive tomorrow :cool:

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
advocate said:
Apple. Seriously. Buying parts from different sources means you end up with finger pointing instead of warranty service. "The system works fine until I put in this memory module, then it crashes while booting," "Okay, we'll replace the memory module." Three weeks pass. "The system works fine until I put in this memory module, then it crashes while booting." "It's unlikely that two memory modules are both bad. Replace your logic board."

I hear you; I have been through it with memory that was installed by the Apple dealer as BTO and Applecare did not want to cover it.

However, you get warranty service for one year or pay 200 Eurobucks for Applecare, in which case you get 3 years. But who is going to spend one third of the purchase price in the case of the Mini for 2 yrs of extra warranty?

After that, you are on your own. If your DDR fries, it is a net loss. Others, like crucial, offer lifetime warranty on RAM; Apple does not. Lastly, I am not impressed with Apple service: they lost my monitor and took 7 weeks to replace it.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
drlunanerd said:
The HD is 4200rpm in the Mac mini. It is a deal-breaker for me too. The rest of the machine is great in my opinion, but everyone knows that the hard disk is one serious bottleneck. Sure, you should be able to upgrade to a faster disk yourself, but then the price gets ever closer to an iMac G5. For performance I don't think you can beat the iMac for value. That's why a friend of mine and I picked up a nearly-new iMac G5 1.8GHz the other day instead of a Mac mini. Am going over to install a 250GB 7200rpm SATA drive tomorrow :cool:

well it all depends what you want to do with your pc, personally the included screen on the imac/emac ,design,size and price was 'dealbraking' for me ..if i had the money for a iMacG5 i would have bought the basic powermac

after all it's all about preferences,need _and_ money ;) (i've saved up money for 1,5 years... including literally picking up cent-coins from the floors of dirty bars/clubs

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Get your money back

I placed a Day 1 order for a BTO Mac mini, and would have saved a couple of bucks on these lowered prices. I called customer service this morning, and they were very nice and immediately credited the price difference back to my account.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Expensive UK BTO Options

Prices from apple.com/ukstore

1GB DDR 333 - £561.33 !

Bluetooth + Airport Extreme - £152.88 ! (only costs £35 and £49 separately)

Think there are some typos here.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
mrzippy said:
Prices from apple.com/ukstore

1GB DDR 333 - £561.33 !

Bluetooth + Airport Extreme - £152.88 ! (only costs £35 and £49 separately)

Think there are some typos here.

Thats been pointed out at least a dozen times in the last 3 pages. It's a typo, its priced correctly on the 1.42 model.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
sockgap said:
Superdrive my ass. All the other manufacturers are shipping dual layer DVD drives that can burn 8 gig DVDs. These things are wicked cheap. When are Apple going to get with the program and ditch these lame-ass 4 gig single-layer DVD burners?

Dual layer laptop drives have just recently started to surface and none of them are slot loading. Dual layer is great for a year from now when the media is actually affordable as opposed to $10-$12 per disc it is now compared to 40 cents or less per single layer disc. The market that the mini is going after doesn't have a big need for dual layer either.

slo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2004
Sorry if this has been posted, but I am glad to see the price drop for the 1GB RAM option..... it was overpriced, and it was a little embarassing trying to get my PC friends to finally get a Mac, and they would balk at the price of the 1GB RAM option. I personally thought it was out of line myself!

I'm no marketing genius, but it usually comes down to a statistical breakdown... You encourage incremental upgrade options until the buyer over pays, but feels like they should over pay to get the best value in the long run... ie. Well for just another $99 I can get twice the amount of <widgets>, For only $20 more I can get a larger <whatever>. Pretty soon their up +$300. Dell is great at that. A base system is cheap, until you start adding little extras. People still think they are buying at the original price because thats what sticks in their head.

Back to the stats - you make estimates on the number of buyers who are likely to choose various options based upon price. I bet the 1GB option just wasn't appealing to enough people.

I'm sure whomever made the pricepoint for the 1GB option is hanging their head now...

slo

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
drlunanerd said:

People have been getting 5400 RPM Drives in the Mini. Apple does not state on their site what the RPM rating for the drive is. My fiance will be getting her Mini 'on or before' the 11th so I'll check it out myself.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
SWC said:
Thats been pointed out at least a dozen times in the last 3 pages. It's a typo, its priced correctly on the 1.42 model.

Sorry, I did quickly flick through this thread before posting, but obviously I didn't look hard enough.

I see then that the AirPort + Bluetooth option has been reduced then, as it was £84 I think, now £69.99.

Has anyone reported the typos to Apple, a new user might we look at the 1.25 GHz model and think Apple is still expensive despite the £339 price tag.

I cannot find a contact email relevant, or at all, on the UK Store.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Lately I have been configuring a 12 inch iBook Combo on the edu store. I upgrade the HD to 80 GB and add bluetooth. Last week it came out to 1129, today it came out to 1106. Not much of a drop, but a drop nontheless. Is this common for Apple to do?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
bpd115 said:
People have been getting 5400 RPM Drives in the Mini. Apple does not state on their site what the RPM rating for the drive is. My fiance will be getting her Mini 'on or before' the 11th so I'll check it out myself.

Really? I didn't know that. It's been widely reported that the drives are 4200rpm, but I'd be very interested if your fiancee's has a faster model installed. Thanks for mentioning this.

NB fiance = male, fiancee = female. I assume you are a heterosexual male, in which case you need to use the latter! ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
SWC said:
Dual layer laptop drives have just recently started to surface and none of them are slot loading. Dual layer is great for a year from now when the media is actually affordable as opposed to $10-$12 per disc it is now compared to 40 cents or less per single layer disc. The market that the mini is going after doesn't have a big need for dual layer either.

Apple might even want to skip the dual-layer phase altogether and skip to either Blue-Ray or HD-DVD.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Well that was fun while it lasted. Though it will be interesting to see what people get in the next three or four weeks though. I wonder if this is to save face till the return period is up on the first buying spree?

Ok fine, it is a 4x Superdrive.

BUT is it a DVD+-RW or just a DVD-RW like the old Superdrive? Anyone know if it does EVERYTHING but dual layer burning?

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
macworld.com

One surprise in our testing appeared when we tested the hard-drive access speed by duplicating 500MB of data. The 1.25GHz Mac mini beat the faster 1.42GHz model by 10 seconds. Upon further investigation, we found that the 1.25GHz model actually contains a 5,400RPM drive, despite Apple’s claim that it contains a 4,200RPM drive. The 1.42GHz model, does contain the slower 4,200RPM drive.

Hoffer

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2005
From the following section on MacWorld, the guy says the mini he opened had a 5,400 rpm drive in it.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/news/macminifaq/index.php

Apple said there were 4200 rpm hard drives in the Mac mini. Is that true?

Updated 1/24/05: Components can vary. For example, the RAM in two of our Mac minis is actually PC3200 running at 333MHz, rather than standard PC2700 RAM. Likewise, the one Mac mini we've deconstructed actually had a 5400 rpm drive inside (a Seagate ST940110A)... but that doesn't mean yours will. Like most computer-makers, Apple doesn't generally talk about the parts it uses and those parts can vary from computer to computer.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
drlunanerd said:
Really? I didn't know that. It's been widely reported that the drives are 4200rpm, but I'd be very interested if your fiancee's has a faster model installed. Thanks for mentioning this.

NB fiance = male, fiancee = female. I assume you are a heterosexual male, in which case you need to use the latter! ;)

I'll report back..hopefully she'll get the 5400 RPM drive...and thanks for the tip..I'm not that big on French words :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.