Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pashazade

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2004
Richmond, London, UK
24C said:
Yes, they're adjusted, I just gotta out of that care home and I've checked in again...1Gb RAM upgrade was £325..then £290 last night..now it's £561? and as you noted Airport & BT goes up from £84 to £152.88

Way to go Apple UK, must be a huge shortage on these products, they're trying to kill the demand. :D

I noticed that too, so 1GB RAM is now $1,049.37, a bit pricey I think :)

This means a fully upgraded mini iMac (Airport/BT/1GB Ram/SDrive/80GbHD + BT KBoard Mouse) is now £1,223.42 ($2,286.47).

What a bargain.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
pashazade said:
I noticed that too, so 1GB RAM is now $1,049.37, a bit pricey I think :)

This means a fully upgraded mini iMac (Airport/BT/1GB Ram/SDrive/80GbHD + BT KBoard Mouse) is now £1,223.42 ($2,286.47).

What a bargain.

Funny thing is look at the 1.42 Mac Mini, and it's £220 for the 1 Gb RAM, and £69.99 for the BT & Extreme module. As said before, must be trying to restrict demand.... on the 1.25 Mac mini! :D

Sargiel

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
West Sussex, England
Surely some mistake ...

RE: UK prices

There has to be some mistake ... If they are able to drop US prices on these same components why these more than significant price increases ?! I thought this was some kind of joke until I checked on the uk Apple Store myself. Eek :eek:

This just makes getting a 2nd hand G4 powermac look that much more appealing ..

Sargiel

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
:eek:

just checked the apple edu store uk... and £527.83 for 1gb ram? pardon? that's well over $1,000!

the bluetooth/airport combo is up to £143.70 too - that's $300!

the other stuff is cheaper though, almost matcing the US rates. the wierdest thing about this is that it's only listing those two prices on the 1.25ghz model. the 1.42ghz does the 1gb ram for £206.80 (reasonable here for apple installed ram - but still $410), and the bt/ap combo for £65.80. more like it!

i think they may need informed of that one....

dazj

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Gillingham, Kent, UK
UK prices have been dropped now:

1GB Ram: £220
Superdrive: £70
APE & BT: £69.99

Puts my specced 1.42GHz mini under £600 :)

Of course I've not bought it yet...

Oh, and looked at the US Store where the mention of an 8x Superdrive has been put back to 4x, so looks as though 8x burning is off the cards...

Unless they are firmware locked...

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
This disparity of pricing world wide is getting very weird. I hope it settles down a bit more fairly in respect of the exchange rate soon...

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
aswitcher said:
This disparity of pricing world wide is getting very weird. I hope it settles down a bit more fairly in respect of the exchange rate soon...

The disparity is still there, in the UK BTO order options are running around £1=US$1.67, but it's just there are a few localised glitches (input errors/conversion scripts) on certain options that are not consistent, say 1GB RAM on a 1.25 Mac mini is still £561, yet for the 1.42 model it's £220...so don't fret, somebody will put it right soon. :D

PS & OT The 1 G iPod shuffle has arrived, it sounds great with the Sony Fontopia's, but the slider/switch on the back was fiddly to use.

pmd

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
Melbourne (Previously UK)
kepsworth said:
Although the Apple store prices haven't changed (yet), I ordered a mini Mac on the night they came out, and have been tracking the order status page ever since. Hey, when it says 'on or before 28/1/05', I can hope for earlier!

I've been doing exactly the same :)

Given that it seems everyone outside the US who ordered the first day has been given the 28/1/05 date, I was hoping that the date is some kind of catch all and that it might end up shipping early in some cases.

2 days to go... then I get to experience the joyous puzzle that is Apple Europe's parcel tracking system.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
pmd said:

Given that it seems everyone outside the US who ordered the first day has been given the 28/1/05 date, I was hoping that the date is some kind of catch all and that it might end up shipping early in some cases.

2 days to go... then I get to experience the joyous puzzle that is Apple Europe's parcel tracking system.

FTR, my 1G iPod was set to be delivered 'on or before 25/01', but TNT couldn't deliver it, driver couldn't find address...but it came today, so 25/01 was accurate enough. I noticed tracking info on 22/01, saying it had flown into NL from China?, guess you should be seeing something soon. HTH

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
pmd said:

Not quite! I delayed a bit before ordering and got a on or before 11 Feb date!

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
When the Mini first went up in the store I maxed out the 80gb version and it came to something like $1399. Now when I max out the 80gb version it only comes to $1,222. But I couldn't get it to say 8x superdrive when I set it up, it still says 4x for me. Weird.

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
UK pricing

I heard this on a radio station but don't remember. Are all the UK pricing that people have mentioned here have tax included? The sale tax rate is quite high from what I can remember in some region, as much as 17%. If this is so, the RAM, BT etc price mentioned in this thread, IMHO is reasonable.

I few weeks a go I was in a Mac mini (rumor then) thread and I bitch about how you need loads of RAM to run this machine. I got to try the Mac mini over the weekend and the configuration was 1.42GHz, 512 MB etc. This thing scream. Opening up Safari was fast, Word too. The OS seems responsive. I would definitely buy this machine. The Mac mini plus a 20" Cinema display for $1800 sounds like a steal to me!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Chomolungma said:
I heard this on a radio station but don't remember. Are all the UK pricing that people have mentioned here have tax included? The sale tax rate is quite high from what I can remember in some region, as much as 17%. If this is so, the RAM, BT etc price mentioned in this thread, IMHO is reasonable.

Yes, all prices in the UK include VAT (Sales Tax) of 17.5%. The prices for upgrades for the 1.42Ghz machine have gone down. For some reason the upgrades for the 1.25Ghz machine have gone up by the same amount as the others went down (i.e ~£150 for bluetooth+Airport = ~$270). I'm sure that will be sorted out soon.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
FWIW I just called Apple to see about price protection. I'd ordered mine on the day of the keynote and received it on the 21st. The CSR hadn't heard about the price changes but went in and configured a system identical to the one I bought to see what the difference was. She credited me the difference no problem and gave me a confirmation number. She also said that if you don't call you won't get the refund.

TM

PS - thanks to this site for making me aware of the price drops!

allansan

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
UK RAM price goes mad....

Just checked the AppleStore price in the UK and the price for a 1GB RAM stick has gone from £249.00 + VAT (@17.5%) this has now gone all the way up to £561.53.....again that would be + VAT (@17.5%)
That brings a basic Mac mini from £339.00 inc VAT to, wait for it.....£900.53.
WTF are Apple playing at? Maybe they are thinking that if they give us something to really complain about, we'll stop complaining!?!

...It gets better, just thought I'd look at the wireless BTo options prices....get this, you can have bluetooth @£35.00+VAT or airport @£49.00+VAT, or you can have both @£152.88+VAT...how does that work????
I've included screen grabs to prove this...but go try it yourself...unreal! :(

Attachments

• AppleStore_macminibto.jpg
    AppleStore_macminibto.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 202
  • AppleStore_macminibto-1.jpg
    AppleStore_macminibto-1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 179
  • macmini-wirelessbto.jpg
    macmini-wirelessbto.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 166

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
any eurpean members around which "order status" already shows a reduced price ? my bto order still shows the old price ('open',on or before 17/2) ...

any apple-store expericened buyers around who know how long it will take to change that (in european stores) ?

in some other forums people called and the apple employees had no idea about the price drop and couldn't garantee anything about refunding ...

looks like the price update came absolutly 'out of the blue' for the stores outside of the US ...

i transfered money via 'wire transfer' so how would i get the money back ?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
allansan said:
Just checked the AppleStore price in the UK and the price for a 1GB RAM stick has gone from £249.00 + VAT (@17.5%) this has now gone all the way up to £561.53.....again that would be + VAT (@17.5%)
That brings a basic Mac mini from £339.00 inc VAT to, wait for it.....£900.53.
WTF are Apple playing at? Maybe they are thinking that if they give us something to really complain about, we'll stop complaining!?!

...It gets better, just thought I'd look at the wireless BTo options prices....get this, you can have bluetooth @£35.00+VAT or airport @£49.00+VAT, or you can have both @£152.88+VAT...how does that work????
I've included screen grabs to prove this...but go try it yourself...unreal! :(

It's a mistake. They seem to have added the price drop instead of subtracting it for the 1.25Ghz machines (but not for the 1.42, try it...)

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Apple BTO options for the Mac mini now list the Superdrive upgrade as 4X, not 8X.

Bummer.

Sargiel

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
West Sussex, England
"Value added tax" in the UK is 17.5 %

The BTO price for 512mb isn't noticeably bad when looking at the Apple Store. It's just the 1GB prices that are the kick in the teeth. Admittedly it has now been dropped from £290 to £220 on the 1.42 model - but that is still pricey.

Looking at Crucial.com/uk they price a stick of 1GB 2700 2.5v unbuffereed, non ECC at £142.16 including VAT and with free delivery. Whichever way you look at it (and I'm trying to ignore the completely insane price for 1GB on the 1.25 model) the apple markup seems excessive.

I'm still looking to get one but suffice to say I won't be considering taking the 1GB BTO option :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Peyote said:
Apple BTO options for the Mac mini now list the Superdrive upgrade as 4X, not 8X.

Bummer.

Well that was fun while it lasted. Though it will be interesting to see what people get in the next three or four weeks though. I wonder if this is to save face till the return period is up on the first buying spree?

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
im hoping i get an 8x superdrive, and a 5400rpm 80 gig HD put in my mini just cuz they ran out of the old stuff-im guessing thats why some people say they have the 5400

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
petemc said:
I just got an email from Apple UK saying I'll be getting a discount :D

i just got the email as well

i checked my order status on the apple store homepage and discovered that they simply subtracted the difference somewhere

but looking at the email i will have to call them for the bank information...at least i can sleep better now ...

side note: i found it interesting that i got the mail after 6 pm ...looks like they have to do some additional hours to get all the work done ..

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Sargiel said:
"Value added tax" in the UK is 17.5 %

The BTO price for 512mb isn't noticeably bad when looking at the Apple Store. It's just the 1GB prices that are the kick in the teeth. Admittedly it has now been dropped from £290 to £220 on the 1.42 model - but that is still pricey.

Looking at Crucial.com/uk they price a stick of 1GB 2700 2.5v unbuffereed, non ECC at £142.16 including VAT and with free delivery. Whichever way you look at it (and I'm trying to ignore the completely insane price for 1GB on the 1.25 model) the apple markup seems excessive.

I'm still looking to get one but suffice to say I won't be considering taking the 1GB BTO option :D

It is similar in the rest of Europe. What people have NOT pointed out, is that if you order the RAM as a BTO option you get whatever Apple warranty comes with the product or with Apple care. When ordering from Crucial, you get a lifetime warranty included in the price.

Guess which is a better option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.