Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's recent earnings call revealed that iPad sales continue to decline, with the company shipping only 13.3 million iPads during the third fiscal quarter of 2014 (second calendar quarter), compared to 14.6 million in the year-ago quarter.

Despite the sales drop, Apple continues to be the world's leading tablet vendor, with a total 26.9 percent of the market, according to new numbers from research firm IDC. Samsung retains its number two spot with 8.5 million shipments and a 17.2 percent share, but both major companies have been losing significant ground to companies putting out more affordable tablet devices.

idctablets1.jpg
Worldwide tablet shipments in 2Q14 in millions of units (Source: IDC)
Lenovo, for example, saw its share of the tablet market rise from 3.3 percent to 4.9 percent, a 64.7 percent jump. ASUS saw 13.1 percent growth, and the "Others" category, which is comprised of vendors not quite in the top five list, has jumped from a 37 percent share to a 44.4 percent share, an increase of 33.4 percent.

Overall, the worldwide tablet market has grown 11 percent year-over-year, with total tablet shipments of 49.3 million, up from 44.4 million in 2013.

idctablets2.jpg
Apple's iPad shipments (red) and share of worldwide tablet shipments (blue) for 2Q11-2Q14 (Source: IDC)
As we indicated last quarter, the market is still being impacted by the rise of large-screen smartphones and longer than anticipated ownership cycles," said Jean Philippe Bouchard, IDC Research Director for Tablets. "We can also attribute the market deceleration to slow commercial adoption of tablets. Despite this trend, we believe that stronger commercial demand for tablets in the second half of 2014 will help the market grow and that we will see more enterprise-specific offerings, as illustrated by the Apple and IBM partnership, come to market."
To date, Apple has sold 225 million iPads and according to Tim Cook, the company isn't worried about declining sales. Cook noted the tablet category is still "in its infancy," and Apple is planning to bring "significant innovation" to the iPad in the future.

iPad sales will likely pick up later this year with the introduction of a second-generation iPad Air and a second-generation Retina iPad mini. Both tablets are expected to include upgraded processors and Touch ID integration. Apple is also expanding its presence in the enterprise tablet market with a new partnership with IBM.

Article Link: Apple Maintains Tablet Market Share Lead Despite iPad Sales Drop

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
So if all the gloom and doom talk surrounding Apple selling iPads points to the iPad's demise, what about all these other manufacturers?? iPad may be just 16% of *Apple's* revenue, but their market share is almost as much as the next 4 combined. I think iPad is here to stay for a while. Money is rollin' in, why stop it?

----------

Samsung finally confesses "we accidentally copied Apple's sales drop. sorry about that guys"

LOLz Everything you said sounds just about right, except they would never apologize for copying anything.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
At this point market share does not really matter anymore. There are so many tablets bring sold at a way cheaper price point than the iPad.

I think apple should only really be worried when they get strong competition in the higher tablet market.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
I'm Ready.

iPad sales will likely pick up later this year with the introduction of a second-generation iPad Air and a second-generation Retina iPad mini. Both tablets are expected to include upgraded processors and Touch ID integration.

I want to update my family's older iPads for Christmas along with mine, so I know of at least three new versions that will be sold as soon as they are released. :)

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
If you ignored these sales figures and looked solely at profits, the apple graph would just be up and up and up. Others are struggling to make any money from tablets until last few years.

I feel like the iPad has the same market share the laptop has, it was a fast rise and most people are mistaking market saturation with a slow down in the sales. Kind of goes without saying but the tablet is still evolving but the hardware side is about a future proof as you can get no matter what hardware you buy. Apple is ahead with software right now, apps and integrated ecosystem, that won't last forever.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
It's time to release larger variants to boost sales, the new Airs can't come soon enough.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
Take my money!!

I will be replacing my 1st generation ipad this year (finally). It still works ok, safari crashes constantly.

I've been wanting to upgrade every year, but never felt that the new offerings were compelling enough to pull the trigger.

klamzi

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
With the new Galaxy tab s things may get even worse for IPad.As amoled screen is zilion times superior over Ipad's.:(

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
My four year old + iPad is ready for a refresh, so count me in for a new one. Cool! :apple:

My iphone (4s) is due for a refresh and so is my iPad (1st gen) AND I want an iWatch (if it's any good). I think this may be a costly fall for me :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.