Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
They never said no in the first place.

----------

It's the only evidence we have of what happened. There is no concrete evidence of any other scenario. We know that iTunes Connect was closed during that time based on history. They've closed down around the same time for many years now. And that's all you know. So the ridiculous assumption here is that you creating fantasy based on nonexistent evidence is the gospel truth.

What fantasy?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
If they wanted it to go up, it would have gone up. Vacation schedule or not.

And your point is? The movie is not worth it, what's so important that it needs to actually be made available on Christmas on a very short notice instead of waiting 3-4 days when things are back to normal?

You want the movie that badly, you can buy it elsewhere.

My god, it's actually sad the amount of people who thinks Apple should've put up with Sony's unreasonable demand to make it happen. It has nothing to do with terrorism or patriotism or whatever, it really is a simple thing. Sony failed to submit their stuff before the shutdown, they follow the same rules as everybody else. They do not deserve any special treatment because of their "sad" story. Sony couldn't even make their own movie available on PSN and Crackle or other services they own.

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
What fantasy?

I don't know; you haven't speculated as to the penultimate reason iTunes didn't release the film with the others.
samcraig said:
The decision of whether to host the movie or not, I can pretty much guarantee you, had nothing to do with holiday schedules.

----------

My god, it's actually sad the amount of people who thinks Apple should've put up with Sony's unreasonable demand to make it happen. It has nothing to do with terrorism or patriotism or whatever, it really is a simple thing. Sony failed to submit their stuff before the shutdown, they follow the same rules as everybody else. They do not deserve any special treatment because of their "sad" story. Sony couldn't even make their own movie available on PSN and Crackle or other services they own.

Which makes me question the intention of the informant in the NYT article anyways. Seemed like a tactic to place the blame on Apple like a red herring.

----------

If they wanted it to go up, it would have gone up. Vacation schedule or not.

Why wasn't it available on other services to stand in iTunes' place if Sony knew Apple couldn't release the film in time? What about those services? They should have had it available too, right?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't know; you haven't speculated as to the penultimate reason iTunes didn't release the film with the others.

----------

Which makes me question the intention of the informant in the NYT article anyways. Seemed like a tactic to place the blame on Apple like a red herring.

----------

Why wasn't it available on other services to stand in iTunes' place if Sony knew Apple couldn't release the film in time? What about those services? They should have had it available too, right?

I actually don't care whether or not apple hosts the movie or not. Again, I never brought in any commentary on the competition or otherwise.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Even then, I'm not sure it's worth the $1.50 or the time.

It's been on Movietube.com for free since day 1

----------

Loved the movie. Awesome comedy - if you like Rogen/Franco stuff.

Haters gonna hate and ain'ters gonna ain't! :cool: :)

Exactly. Airplane back in the 80's was crap comedy but funny as heck too. No different. Just have to understand what you're going to see.

----------

tasteless and shoddy film, i would be disgraced to sell that rubbish

Whaaaaaaaaat? (said in James Franco voice) --------> what's funny is I hear little kids saying that now. Funny how they pick up the humor from trailers and vids they on the news.

----------

Beer on tab?

I hope the aspect ratio of the movie screen is better than the aspect ratio on that awful picture.

Lots of theaters around us have the luxury chairs and serve both cocktails and full dinners. We took the kids out yesterday and had a blast ordering fries, sodas and watching a kids movie in reclining cushy chairs without being told not to eat in the family room :D

----------

Is anybody else here severely ****ted off with this? Boycott this insidious propaganda cr@p!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? It's comedy dude not propaganda. Funny stuff. Kim Dong Ilk is a fool.....nothing around him would **** me off. Let him the people there rot inside their own walls. Time for those that want out to fight or die trying or in the end live with what they have; a dictatorship.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Smart move to put it on iTunes since it means more revenue and not giving into fear of an overweight guy with compensation issues. Originally, when I read Apple declined, I was disappointed.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
ONCE AGAIN Apple is an industry follower - followed the market into this movie release, followed the market into larger phones, followed the market into smaller tablets, the list goes on, and on, and on.

I think it's more like Apple not wanting to do something just because someone tells them to. It's an image thing...they need to be seen as the one pulling the strings...not the puppet.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
For those of you that have already seen it, was it worth the money?

I thought it was worth a rental.

Some annoyingly stupid parts but also some parts I couldn't stop laughing. I also cheered when Kim Jung Un got blown up

Out of the recent Seth Rogan movies I've seen, I'd say

This is the End > The Interview > Neighbors

I hated Neighbors btw

jmoratti

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
Great

I for one might rent it on itunes even though I have no interest in seeing it. I want more movies released direct to itunes/youtube/netflix...etc (streaming).

I think it would help the studios and the consumers.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I would have preferred a sequel to the Green Hornet. That movie was at least funny (to me). I don't see how it could have been any worse than this movie.

V I S I O N

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2014
Sept. 11, 2012 Benghazi attack Blamed on movie per the Administration

America will prosecute and in-prison the director and producer of a NON Pro-Muslium youtube video movie. While this man is in custody due to the notoriety from the Heads of State :Obama, Mrs Clinton and Susan Rice who goes on an apology tour, televise to all the nations, apologizing for a movie that doesn’t show Muslims in a good light. Blaming Him for the so called youtube protest in Benghazi, that resulted in the attack on our Embassy, the Kixxing and Rxping of our Ambassador with his armed Staff. It’s ironic that the President states that "Sony made a mistake" by not releasing this film, which portrays violence against a foreign Head of state, that their nation is currently protesting the movie now. The President also states "Sony should have talked to us" before pulling the movie. Remember when Mrs. Clinton stated “ America doesn’t support Hateful movies against people and nations who have different views ( paraphrasing ). Susan Rice goes on all the Sunday political shows stating the youtube video incited the violence that caused the attack on our Embassy.

Apple just entered the political arena by switching to Show this movie on their Media portal ( a change of stance). This should be remembered that they sell products to China, a friend of the movie victim’s country.

I know it’s just a movie right. Not in the case of Benghazi.

I’m not a supporter of censorship, I am just pointing out the flip flop. Wondering if there was a serious anti-homo movie, would Apple choose to not run it on their Media portal? Could this movie cause or incite an arm conflict like in Benghazi?

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
Well not that all security experts declared that the attacks didn't come from NK after all, we can see how the living room "freedom fighters" wasted their time and money buying this junk. Compliments to those people, apparently they learned nothing from events in the past months. These people are so easy to manipulate. Sorry to see Apple wasting time with this crime promoting garbage.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012

America will prosecute and in-prison the director and producer of a NON Pro-Muslium youtube video movie. While this man is in custody due to the notoriety from the Heads of State :Obama, Mrs Clinton and Susan Rice who goes on an apology tour, televise to all the nations, apologizing for a movie that doesn’t show Muslims in a good light. Blaming Him for the so called youtube protest in Benghazi, that resulted in the attack on our Embassy, the Kixxing and Rxping of our Ambassador with his armed Staff. It’s ironic that the President states that "Sony made a mistake" by not releasing this film, which portrays violence against a foreign Head of state, that their nation is currently protesting the movie now. The President also states "Sony should have talked to us" before pulling the movie. Remember when Mrs. Clinton stated “ America doesn’t support Hateful movies against people and nations who have different views ( paraphrasing ). Susan Rice goes on all the Sunday political shows stating the youtube video incited the violence that caused the attack on our Embassy.

Apple just entered the political arena by switching to Show this movie on their Media portal ( a change of stance). This should be remembered that they sell products to China, a friend of the movie victim’s country.

I know it’s just a movie right. Not in the case of Benghazi.

I’m not a supporter of censorship, I am just pointing out the flip flop. Wondering if there was a serious anti-homo movie, would Apple choose to not run it on their Media portal? Could this movie cause or incite an arm conflict like in Benghazi?

Time for you to go back to the CNN comments section.

SpicyWings

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
If NK was indeed behind the hacking, it's just wasted ammo. But for all this hoopla, this below-average movie would have been quickly forgotten.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Nobody really knows that North Korea is behind anything. No proof. Most security experts think it is not very likely. Obviously the government-owned security experts think otherwise, but that's most likely because it would be too embarassing to admit that a couple of hackers could take down Sony the way they did.

And Sony security is notoriously bad, as was shown on more than one occassion before.

I was going to say. As soon as someone mentions Sony and security in the same sentence I have to laugh...

----------

Likely not... but I'm buying it to make a political statement if nothing else. I may not watch it anytime soon, but I hope that the groundswell of support from people who hated that Sony caved is a very visible lesson for anyone else who gets in this situation. Don't cave.

I would bet there is bugger all to do with North Korea behind the hacking. More likely a pair of teenagers who got bored.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I thought I remembered seeing an article in THR recently that says there are indications that this hack may have partly been an inside job involving disgruntled Sony employees, including a former Sony employee who was laid off some months ago.

Not too hard to do if all the passwords are in an unencrypted text file called "passwords".

KJU is still a p***y. :p

And who else beside me now has a thing for 'Sook'? :D

----------

Join date, December, 2014. Did you sign up just to discuss Benghazi (off-topic) and politics or do you actually use a Mac? :rolleyes:

That poster has exactly one post. :(

Last edited:

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
They never said no in the first place.

----------

It's the only evidence we have of what happened. There is no concrete evidence of any other scenario. We know that iTunes Connect was closed during that time based on history. They've closed down around the same time for many years now. And that's all you know. So the ridiculous assumption here is that you creating fantasy based on nonexistent evidence is the gospel truth.

----------

Nobody has ever answered the question as to why Apple is responsible for releasing this film when many other streaming services have not. Even BitTorrent offered their Bundle service which was COMPLETELY ignored by the media and Sony.

Sorry, I just logged back in for the first time since the holidays and noticed the quote notification....

I think they DID say no at first. At least Macrumors, Sony Pictures, and the NY Times said they did. But maybe they didnt? :cool:

'Sony Pictures recently attempted to enter talks with Apple over distributing its highly-anticipated film "The Interview" on iTunes, reports The New York Times. The report notes that Apple showed no interest in the offer, which came shortly after Sony Pictures announced that it would be canceling the wide theatrical release of the movie after being threatened by hackers. '

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/24/apple-declined-sony-the-interview-itunes/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.