Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
This is why I'm waiting until it comes pre-installed to buy my Macbook Air.

What a mess. For shame Tim.

brutusfly

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2006
Server Code. : (

I'm one of the ones described who's replacement code fix ended up being for Server. I called and they are really scrambling to try and fix it—I'll give them that.
Early adopters: Those most likely to get burned and least likely to take it well.

rufwork

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Where's the down vote when you need it? :rolleyes:

Well, honestly though, it didn't happen when Jobs was around. You can't say he's the reason, obviously, as that's a heck of a trickle down, but overall the place doesn't seem as tight and deliberate a ship as it did before. I'm too lazy to dig up the little mistakes to make a case right now, but someone should.

Management changes can change a company. That's not exceptionally controversial. I don't think anyone's arguing Cook has made things run more smoothly.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I bet someones gonna get fired at apple for the giant screw-up.

Double-facepalm.jpg

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Someone would get fired under Steve's watch for this, but Cook seems to be too nice of a fellow to fire anyone over this.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Well, honestly though, it didn't happen when Jobs was around. You can't say he's the reason, obviously, as that's a heck of a trickle down, but overall the place doesn't seem as tight and deliberate a ship as it did before. I'm too lazy to dig up the little mistakes to make a case right now, but someone should.

Management changes can change a company. That's not exceptionally controversial. I don't think anyone's arguing Cook has made things run more smoothly.

What is "it"? Many different missteps happened when Jobs was around.

If MobileMe debuted after Jobs's death, you'd be screaming the place had gone off the deep end!

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
Anyone else feel pretty bad about Apple's customer satisfaction skills with this deal?

I'm looking at it this way ....

This "up to date" program would have better been handled by sending these codes the day before the public release of ML.

That way, those of us who spent over a thousand bucks on a new machine with the promise of being updated to ML would be completely happy with the purchase.

Unfortunately, as always is the case with Apple and most large tech corps, they are only caring about making more money - trying to get as many $20.00 purchases as possible. Leaving those who just bought a shiny new Mac (like me) in the dark.

Not a huge deal - it's just a few days. But still, sour apple taste in my mouth for sure.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus

Well, it did happen. Lots. MobileMe, iCloud, the first iPhone, etc. The list goes on.

hoits2000

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
NW Indiana

Ever heard of Ping?

mdapple

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
holy $#@! apple you are going way downhill. This isn't even a matter of difficulty at this point. This is just pure negligence.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple needs to rethink their up-to-date strategy. Why require a redemption code at all? Software update and the App Store already know what Mac you have. Just push the new OS to eligible machines.

Exactly. This is a bunch of extra work for both users and Apple. Now we know how App developers feel when for no reason App approvals get delayed or denied. Once again the human element at Apple fails.

dailybibliotaph

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
JUST GOT MY CODE!!!! :D :D :D 28 hours later... LOL

EDIT: It's for OS X Server... :mad::mad::mad:

Same here. This is going beyond a farce and into complete idiocy by Apple. Really? Is it so hard for them to do this correctly.

And for the idiots who blather, "just buy it". Many of us already did. I got sick of waiting and bought it for my rMBP yesterday. I wanted to use the new code for one of my other 2 MBP and 27-inch iMac. What a complete failure of execution.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Le sigh. It's been almost 24hrs and no code. I'm trying to not think about it go to my happy place. It's not working too great.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Wow, so some of you got codes for Mountain Lion server? Count yourselves lucky. When I used my code, it started downloading this weird OS called 'Puma', and said I needed something called a 'PPC' to run it. Any ideas? :p

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
I got my code and it was for Mountain Lion.

But this latest screwup makes me wonder if Apple is using Chinese teenagers who can't read English to do verification instead of using a computer -_-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.