Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
I would consider getting Apple Music but my plan includes Spotify premium so that's why I gave it a pass. Looks like a decent service though according to few friends who have been using it

Reactions: mackiwilad

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
Sure, as if they would not recognize being invoiced monthly...
You'd be surprised. I'm paying Microsoft (Office) and Netflix roughly $10/month each. Couldn't tell you for the life of me when they get taken from my account.

r03dz

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Sticking with Google Music. Sorry Apple.

I love Google Music. Although, I recently switched to Spotify.... liking it much more. It just seriously lacks the ability to upload my own music when it's not in their library.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I personally love Apple Music. It could use some simplicity in its UI but as it is now, it's helped me discover so many artists that I wouldn't have heard of before or wouldn't have spent money on buying an album because I didn't know them well enough. With a flat rate subscription, I'm free to experiment with as much music as I can find time to consume.

That can of course be said of any subscription service but Apple Music's suggestion algorithm seems to know my tastes so well after so little time. It's quite amazing really.

Regarding its growing base, I was surprised this week to find out that several of my friends who never paid for music a day in their lives are paying subscribers. Maybe they're finally growing up or maybe the convenience and low price has convinced them that it's worth it.

I'm looking forward to any improvements to AppleMusic at this year's WWDC.

newlifer

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
so out of almost 1 billion devices out there they have reached 1% we're talking about the definition of failure! spotify does not have hardware advantage & integration in the music app..

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
That's good to hear. However, for those that aren't at all interested in Apple Music as a streaming service, can Apple please make the iOS music app more usable, similar to how it was previously? There is no reason to lump "My Music" into one little tab, and not allow you to edit the tabs at the bottom of the screen at all, to bring back Songs, Artists, Albums, etc.

For music browsing and listening, I still prefer my 6th gen iPod nano, or any of my older iPods, for that matter.
I completely agree w/ this.

I don't use Apple Music b/c I have to use the iCloud Music Library

Reactions: trifid

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I just love all the negative comments here. Good to know that MR doesn't make up the majority of Apple's customers...or the ones that really matter. Apple certainly didn't reach 10million users by most people here. Nice to know MR's members have little to zero control on the matter. For the rest of us that don't necessarily have a problem with everything Apple does.....
Agree.
I'm astonished by the comments on this forum. This seem to be an haters' nest lately....

Tbh I'm not an Apple Music subscriber and I don't like the new music app UI, but the tone of comments here is exaggerated as usual.

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
so out of almost 1 billion devices out there they have reached 1% we're talking about the definition of failure! spotify does not have hardware advantage & integration in the music app..

Google Nexus phones make up 0.1% of the worldwide smartphone market share.

Using your logic, that's an abysmal failure by Google!

Reactions: mackiwilad

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
A music service depends on the kind of music being made available on the service. Unfortunately for me, none of the current music service, including Apple's, provide the kind of music I listen to. They all seem to cater to mainly mainstream music. It is great if you are into current popular music since you have so many options.

I wish Apple has enough muscle to persuade the recording industry of the world (not just western countries) to make the music of their artists available worldwide. If you look at various iTunes' stores form different countries, there are a lot of music that's only available in those countries. It makes no sense, prohibiting your music from being purchased by people around the world.

newlifer

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
Google Nexus phones make up 0.1% of the worldwide smartphone market share.

Using your logic, that's an abysmal failure by Google!

the nexus is not the only android phone & yes, android in general is a failure for me compared to iOS

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
This is actually quite an accomplishment.
Is it? Spotify was new, streaming music was new. It took time. Apple Music got in late when its already an accepted feature. So how does 10 million rank compared to the number of active iPhones? I'd suggest 10 million is very very low makeup.

Edit: Early 2013 there were 300 million iPhones in use. 10 million is 3%. For a common service these days, that you can just sign up for, thats pretty darn low. Im not sure of the music streaming percentage that exists.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Considering Apple has a user base of 800 million iPhone users, 10 million is a surprisingly low number, which actually indicates that Apple Music is a poor product.

Your logic is quite flawed. That would be like saying "there are over 7 billion people on the planet and Coca Cola only sells 10 million cokes a day, therefore Coca Cola is a poor product."

A product such as Apple Music isn't dependent on the sales or pervasiveness of one other product. It works on iPhones, iPads, iPods, Android, Windows and Mac. The important factor is only raw numbers of subscribers, since that's the only benchmark that makes sense. $10/mo x 10 million = $100 million per month. In what reality is a product that's potentially bringing in $100 million a month in revenue a "poor product?"

Reactions: igorsky

newlifer

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
apple music is available everywhere so we're considering all users of apple products including macs, iPhones iPads, everything so 1% could be too high. another question is how many are the free users signing out soon

I don't think that coca cola is reaching 1% of the world population in 6 months. also it cannot just appear in your fridge for free trial without your consent

Last edited:

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
These early numbers from the transition from free 3 months to paid should be taken with a grain of salt. Doubtless a lot of people "accidentally" are now paying for it that didn't intend to.

Regardless, I like my Apple Music quite a bit! And I hope they do grow.

I'm sure someone already corrected you but the free trial did not automatically switch over to paid. It is opt-in not opt-out.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Everyone is quoting number of iPhones sold but that is a completely redundant figure.

- How many of those are actively in use?
- How many of those have iOS 8.4+?
- How many of those in use are business
phones?
- How many are used as iPods (aka no data connection)?
- How many of those remaining (after removing all of the above) have users that actually use music on their phones?

10m is a very decent figure for a 5 month old service. Spotify only has 20m paid users and they've been around for 8 years.

Reactions: stanman64

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Up Next is what plays... next...

Yeah...so with a track selected, if I invoke 'add to up next' it will play it next? Well, no, that not what it means, it means almost the opposite - play it last. But despite this, what it usually does, is play it next. :confused:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Good for them, I'm not one of them. I prefer to own my music.
Even though I am an Apple Music subscriber, I occasionally purchase a song or an album from iTunes. I understand that I don't really "own" the music I purchase (the way Michael Jackson used to own the Beatle's music catalog), but it lets me download and do things with the files that are not so easy to do with the music streamed from Apple Music.

I think it is doubtful that Apple Music will ever top Spotify. It just isn't different enough to warrant people switching to it (that is where the users will come from).
The thing is, Apple doesn't have to top Spotify to be successful. Coming in second place isn't the same as losing.

Actually, in December I noticed something very bad, I was at Disney and I took the ride of Tomorrowland, and all the things expose to give you a look into the future were just black. I went to Epcot and the same things I saw early 90's. I saw the CES reviews... is like Hollywood... re dos, re makes. That is a convention that you need to go each 10 years and all what they are showing was showed back at Sigraph in 2007.
At my first visit to Epcot in 1983 I saw many cool things. They had touch-screen computer screens that you could use to make hotel and restaurant reservations. It wasn't totally new (I'd seen touch-screen displays at a computer show a year earlier), but it was cool. And there was a game where you could design and "ride" (watch a movie of a ride) your own roller coaster. There were a limited number of valid ways you could put the tracks together, and the video was clearly playing a pre-rendered video from a video disk. Nearly a decade later, I visited again and they still had the touch-screen displays, but they didn't seem as new, and the graphics on the roller-coaster simulator paled next to what could have been done in real time even then.

Disney isn't the place to find a lot of cutting-edge technology, but it never was. The Ellen's Energy Adventure ride is now 20 years old: a relic of a time when Ellen was the star of a sitcom about a wacky single gal and her wacky friends.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
What I really dislike about AM is that most curated playlist are so damn short. Most playlists have 10-25 Songs... a playlist in my "For You" tab called "Roadtrip" has 15 songs...... seriously?

Spotify does this way better with really long (and good) playlists. Plus you can easily find user-created playlists.

Reactions: Woyzeck

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
So much development is necessary before the cluster that is Apple Music reaches 100 million users.

Yeah... and right now it's still free memberships! How many have paid up?

Also, they're spamming us with Apple Music ads, so we can't not see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.