Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
I use a combination of pixelmator and topaz labs plug ins at this point. Check them out. They may fill your needs.

I would assume so. I have purchased several now discontinued apps in the past and they all are still available under "Purchased" for me, however no longer developed or updated. I don't see why they would make this one different? Unless maybe official Apple software works differently than discontinued software from other developers.

Edit: Sad to see Aperture go. I really love it. Photos feels promising now that I've been working with it for a while but I am already missing a few things from Aperture. Not enough to pay Adobe, but hoping Photos gets developed further or even some add ons come out eventually that we can buy.

sehix

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
I know there are a lot of die hard aperture fans out there, but honestly guys, it's time to switch to Lightroom or Capture One. You'll be very happy that you did.

I user Aperture currently. I also have Lightroom and Capture One, and have used them off and on for a couple of years. (Don't get me started on DxO...)

I still prefer Aperture to either; I'm far more comfortable and productive working in it than the others.

We'll see how things stand a year from now.

rstone3

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Midwest
You can actually keep multiple libraries in OS X Photos! Hold the option key while starting the application, and it will ask you which library to use (or create a new one). Only the 'system' library will be attached to iCloud (if you choose to), and I'm personally keeping my 500GB+ Aperture library as a separate, local Photos library.

This is GREAT news to me. I thought my 700 GB massive library (scanned and digital, 130K pictures) would make moving to Photos impossible. I had also read that keywords were not supported - and since I've spent a massive amount of time adding keywords to everything that would be a disaster. Can you confirm that keywords transfer to Photos? As they are mentioned in the email I got today along with everyone else I assume they do...

bobone

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
I'm a little mixed on whether to backup to the cloud. I'm concerned about privacy, plus I don't particularly want to pay hundreds of dollars a year for that.

One way to backup that someone told me was instead of getting a big SD (or whatever card you use) card and use it for everything, get a bunch of smaller SD. Use one card per event. Once done, label the card, keep that it in a case, and just keep it a safe deposit box, desk drawer, or something. That way, if you lose your originals, bam! You have them.

The privacy issue is a big one, and the cost is crazy. I can buy three 2TB external drives for rotating backups for $300, keep 1 in the office drawer, and 2 connected at home. rsync is your friend.

About the SD card "backups", that's one way to store originals, however, I would only use that as a backup process. It's also pretty darn expensive compared to standard hard drives, and they're also subject to bit rot (slow degradation of the electric/magnetic states indicating 0s or 1s over time that lead to corruption of the data) just like every other storage medium, and they're darn slow to transfer data from.

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Photos.app is useless except as a library.

It's basically the iOS Photos app for Mac OS X.
It has less functionality than iPhoto.
It has far less functionality than Aperture.

Completely disappointed. WTF, Apple?!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Fine, then instead of getting something FREE then PAY for what works better for you. :p

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Fine, then instead of getting something FREE then PAY for what works better for you. :p

That's not the point and you know it. Why even bother posting a comment like that?

Apple is removing functionality from their free app and discontinuing a flagship paid app on which many people rely. I'm angered by this decision as it necessitates a huge amount of work and expense for me.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I wish OS X Server came with an "iCloud Photos" service. It has a webmail and calendar very similar to iCloud already. I love the idea of having all my photos live in the cloud, but I want to own, control, and take responsibility for that cloud.

This is exactly what I want. I want my own cloud server that my equipment can access and keep in touch with/sync. Then when at home the speed is blazing fast because it's all on the local network, but I still have access outside via the internet. If OS X server had that ability, I would be buying a used Mac Pro (with all the drive bays in it) and loading it up with storage. Or maybe a mac mini with external storage. It would be awesome!

bobone

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
That's not the point and you know it. Why even bother posting a comment like that?

Apple is removing functionality from their free app and discontinuing a flagship paid app on which many people rely. I'm angered by this decision as it necessitates a huge amount of work and expense for me.

Well, I already bought Pixelmator, because Aperture just almost did what I needed and PS was just too pricey. I was already looking for something else to organize and manage my photos with, that I still haven't really come close to a solution for. I'd really like to have something that handles RAW, but there's only 4 or 5 products that I know of that do that semi-well (Aperture, LightRoom, Capture One, DxO, and something I saw years ago that I can't recall at this time) There's a couple of things popping up now, like MacPhun's SnapSelect, that may fill the organizational needs. What I obviously want is a good organizational tool with seamless plugin support for my basic editing needs (cropping, color/exposure adjustments, rotation, resizing) and can open the editor of my choice if something more is needed. SnapSelect looks like it does not support plugins though it is file/directory based.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Thankfully, if I buy a new Mac, I can use Migration Assistant to move my copy of Aperture over to the new Mac!!

I'll be an Aperture user for as long as I possibly can! Yes, even if that means I never upgrade past Yosemite!

Mark

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Back when Aperture and Lightroom first came out... For everyone who threw all in for Apple instead of Adobe, looks like you lost that gamble.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You can choose what to sync to iCloud and what remains local

The biggest flaw in Photos is that it's all or nothing when it comes to putting your photos on iCloud.

I'd rather have a subset of my photos in iCloud, and keep the rest archived on my computer and not using up iCloud space.

It just shows that Apple seems to be doing this to sell iCloud subscriptions, and not to improve the user experience.

This isn't true. You can have photos stored locally while others are in iCloud. You do this by having a library for the photos you want in iCloud and others you want to just keep on your computer.

I have my personal library designated as the one to sync with iCloud so that my iPhone, iPad and family pictures on my Mac stay in sync. My work photos (4TB worth) stay in their own separate libraries and are not synced.

Too bad that your post is near the top as it's incorrect and is misinforming people.

broncobenshea

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
Multiple Aperture Libraries in "Photos"

Does anyone know if you can do multiple Libraries in Photos the way you can in Aperature? This is a huge feature to me and I can't find any info on it.

rstone3

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2007
Midwest
Does anyone know if you can do multiple Libraries in Photos the way you can in Aperature? This is a huge feature to me and I can't find any info on it.

From other posts it looks like it does - have a read through the posts on this thread. I've learned more by doing that than I have in several articles in the last few weeks. I also (hope) I understand that Photos will support Keywords as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Whenever Apple does this only after resealing their competing product, my only reason, because "they" think their app beats Aperture hands down..

Apple must know something no one else in the pro market does then,, which i seriously doubt..

I'm sure Photos is "like" a pro software, but it's NOT a pro software, although it may have the same functional to look like one. There is a reason pro software packages exist. and Apple reckons they can beast it with something they have always tuned their back against (eg they stripped out"pro" tool and left film makers in the dark ?

You gotta get me outta bed pretty early to start believing this.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
I am crying into my coffee this morning.
I have used Aperture since version 1.
I have now used Photos on the public beta. Yeah it is better than iPhoto, however it is no Aperture replacement. Not even close.

Lightroom I hate. (I own 5 copies that have come with cameras etc, I don't even have it installed on any of my machines I dislike it that much.)

Capture One is running slow on my Mac Pro 2013 with 64GB of Ram and 4k display. Drawing masks there is a massive delay that makes it hard to see what they hell you are masking out.

Bring back Aperture X. Please Apple. I would pay $1000 for very fast updated Aperture.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I admit I'm being cynical but in Mavericks Aperture 3 doesn't run without an update to 3.5. In Yosemite Aperture 3.5 doesn't run without an update to 3.6. In 10.11... whoops, no more updates. :(

And you cannot migrate backwards. What kind of serious photographer, professional or not, would commit his library to that kind of yearly bull sheet?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Very upset because Photos eliminates crucial Aperture features like "Flagged" which I use constantly. Also upset because last year, once the writing was on the wall, I made a concerted effort to use and learn Lightroom, and I just did not like it for various reasons, and I didn't get to be remotely as fast I was in Aperture.

Screwed.

Ugh, the reason I bought Aperture was because I really needed to start flagging photos once I moved to a super zoom.

I had downloaded both Aperture and LR before buying Aperture and also had a difficult time with LR. I typically like Adobe products - but not the cloud subscription services!

Here's my dilemma: I'm running version 3.4.5 on ML right now (2008 unibody MB). I am pretty sure I'll be getting a new MB soon. But at this point I can't even update to 3.6 and if I don't buy a new machine before Photos comes out, I'm stuck on this one. (the store gives me the update button but I honestly haven't clicked on it)

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012

What functionality is missing from Photos that was present in iPhoto?

Also this is a 1.0 beta app.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Back when Aperture and Lightroom first came out... For everyone who threw all in for Apple instead of Adobe, looks like you lost that gamble.

Big time. I spent $200.00 for Aperture 3 when it came out. I was all pumped up on Mac and knew that Apple supported pros. Silly boy!

----------

I am crying into my coffee this morning.
I have used Aperture since version 1.
I have now used Photos on the public beta. Yeah it is better than iPhoto, however it is no Aperture replacement. Not even close.

Lightroom I hate. (I own 5 copies that have come with cameras etc, I don't even have it installed on any of my machines I dislike it that much.)

Capture One is running slow on my Mac Pro 2013 with 64GB of Ram and 4k display. Drawing masks there is a massive delay that makes it hard to see what they hell you are masking out.

Bring back Aperture X. Please Apple. I would pay $1000 for very fast updated Aperture.

Just get Photoshop and be done with it.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
It looks like Apple is still dedicated to Logic X and FC X. I'm going to safely assume Aperture X will be arriving or announced on the 9th.

I can't see how Apple will leave the photography market to Adobe. It just doesn't make any sense. OS X Photos is not powerful enough. Aperture was outdated. I think spring forward is going to be a nice surprise!

Watch
MBA
Aperture X

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
apple.com/feedback ...

left feedback at both the Aperture and OS X sections...

We have a better chance of our thoughts being seen there than most anywhere else.

jwd
Please people, go let your voice be heard! The more that respond, the better chance we have of them not discontinuing Aperture.

----------

It looks like Apple is still dedicated to Logic X and FC X. I'm going to safely assume Aperture X will be arriving or announced on the 9th.

I can't see how Apple will leave the photography market to Adobe. It just doesn't make any sense. OS X Photos is not powerful enough. Aperture was outdated. I think spring forward is going to be a nice surprise!

Watch
MBA
Aperture X

Hope you are right, but I doubt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.