Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
External Drive?

If I purchased it will I still be able to download it on a new (or restored) mac in the future?

I guess you might want to keep a copy of Aperture on an external drive, or a few. That's the great thing about buying apps from the Mac App Store instead of buying them on disc; it's very easy to back them up, even in multiple locations.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Big time. I spent $200.00 for Aperture 3 when it came out. I was all pumped up on Mac and knew that Apple supported pros. Silly boy!

----------

Just get Photoshop and be done with it.

Aperture 3 came out how many years after the product launch of Aperture?

The actual dollars spent is irrelevant. The years of investment in a platform, with the edits and other metadata applied to hundreds and thousands of images... untold amounts of hours potentially wasted.

Never bet against Adobe. Especially not for an Apple alternative.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Photo Stream?

The biggest flaw in Photos is that it's all or nothing when it comes to putting your photos on iCloud.

I'd rather have a subset of my photos in iCloud, and keep the rest archived on my computer and not using up iCloud space.

It just shows that Apple seems to be doing this to sell iCloud subscriptions, and not to improve the user experience.

When you say all or nothing, do you mean you lose Photo Stream if you choose not to keep your photos in iCloud?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Wow. That's pretty awful. After a Numbers file in iCloud just randomly went corropt on me, I don't want to use iCloud for primary file storage at-all.
As Aperture and iPhoto did not alter the original file (except for manual prompting to save new metadata to the image file), Photos and its iCloud companion won't likely won't do so either. Meaning the corruption of the actual image file is much less likely than the corruption of a 'file' the application is supposed to modify (ie, an Numbers document).

It could still accidentally delete a file (at least from its database, less likely from disk as well).

----------

Does it just download a DMG to your computer from the mac app store? If so just download it and then save the dmg somewhere else before it installs it and then deletes the dmg if you ever need to reinstall it or transfer to another computer.

Stuff from the App Store does not download as a DMG file, it downloads directly as a .app package. My assumption is that if the app needs to put stuff into additional locations (eg, ~/Library/Application Support), it does so the first time it is run.

----------

The difference is that people working professionally, or in a professional manner, often have specific file system locations for certain kinds of images and other data. Aperture supported that.

Apple now wants users to go with amateur-hour, quicky, iPad friendly dump all photos everywhere.
No, they want (most) Aperture users to switch to something else because they don't want to be in the professional DAM/raw converter business anymore.

----------

I see others have responded to this, but I thought that I saw that we would have the option to locally store the original files. Am I not understanding this right?

I have no desire to store my originals on iCloud. While I like the idea that edits can made on one device and show up on all the devices, I just do not have enough confidence in cloud based storage. Plus, I often do edits while on the train on my way to work, and don't have internet access.

Also, I may be in the minority, but I don't want to have two libraries with my photo files in them. That just takes up too much storage. I wonder how others are addressing that.

How do you define where the originals are stored for data that is synced between two locations? Like emails for example?

----------

Apple is removing functionality from their free app and discontinuing a flagship paid app on which many people rely. I'm angered by this decision as it necessitates a huge amount of work and expense for me.

One can very easily argue that Apple is adding features in similar amounts with Photos as it is removing features if you compare it with iPhoto. Photos started life as iPhoto X inside Apple.

----------

It looks like Apple is still dedicated to Logic X and FC X. I'm going to safely assume Aperture X will be arriving or announced on the 9th.

I can't see how Apple will leave the photography market to Adobe. It just doesn't make any sense. OS X Photos is not powerful enough. Aperture was outdated. I think spring forward is going to be a nice surprise!

Watch
MBA
Aperture X

Why would Apple send out emails tellings its customers it is discontinuing Aperture and then one week later announce a successor?

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Jan 30, 2015
Mmmm .... yet another knee in the groin for the professional user by Apple
..... when are they going to learn that it was the professional users/software developers that gave them their reputation, credibility and market predominance in the first place.

..... Apple don't seem to realise that you don't replace one thing with another until it is better - in every way possible.

Professional users in all fields can do something about this ..... stick on the OS that works best for you with all the apps/software you like best ..... avoid iCloud like the plague ..... plenty of other cheaper 'Cloud' options available with much better control ......

http://www.top10cloudstorage.com/compare-specs/

..... and you can also set up a home based system these days very cheaply if you are keen to keep total control of your valuable pics.

...... Sad Apple don't want their devices to be regarded as a tool for the professional anymore .... guess it is now clear it is the "toy" market they are focussing on.
Personally, I think that is a mistake .... toys soon go out of fashion - but a good tool can be useful for years - even when the original owner has long discarded it. (Cue: Violins)

We'll look back at this moment in Apple's history and wonder ..... how much more management engineered customer alienation can these guys generate - unbelievable!

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
You could have the one library and then create a seperate photo stream for your relatives to use for the baby pics...

So I need one library to share my baby photos with the grandparents and aunties, and another library for all my other photos? That's going to be a PIA.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
I don't trust Adobe. i say lightroom will eventually go full-on CC subscription $$. Go ahead, prove me wrong. Nobody can and that's why stay away from Adobe.

And now I don't trust Apple, either. I saw this coming when Apple started dumbing down their MacBook Pro line by getting rid of the 17" size, and it continues now with the lack of large SSD options for even the 15" model.

What reason for getting rid of the biggest available screen unless you're going to start getting rid of software that benefits most by the large screen size?

I never thought I would say that maybe it's no longer time for a move to Mac...but now I'm really thinking precisely that!

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
Can someone tell me if the new Photos program has dodge (lighten) and burn (darken) tools? If so, can you scroll the size of the brush like you can in Aperture?

The only adjustment you can use a brush for is 'retouch'
The rest of the adjustments in photos apply to the whole picture.

The total list of adjustments are:
Light - exposure, highlights etc
Color - basically saturation only
Black and White
Sharpen
Definition
Noise Reduction
Vignette
White Balance
Levels

It is certainly no Aperture replacement.

----------

I know there are a lot of die hard aperture fans out there, but honestly guys, it's time to switch to Lightroom or Capture One. You'll be very happy that you did.

No you won't be.
Lightroom is horrible. I have used it on/off since the first public beta before version 1. It is still no where near as good as Aperture for usability.

Capture One is good. However I am using a 4k display and it is slow as hell to make adjustments with. I have spent a fortune on a new Mac Pro with 64GB ram etc and it is almost unusable to use masks in 'Local adjustments' with very bad lag.
I have read of others suffering the same problem so I am not alone...

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
You can use iCloud and still elect to keep an original copy of all your pics local.

It pretty much shows that Photos is consumer software by design. It is not a replacement for Aperture, but an alternative. It will only entice ‘prosumers’ or amateur photographers, but not professionals. Many filters and editing tools might be there, but it’s just not a nice application for organising projects. Just as iTunes, Photos is for enjoying your content, not organising or editing it (even though you can).

Just imagine if it corrupts one of your pictures in the cloud and you don’t have an original on either device. It’s a pretty big risk, especially with Apple. I will be sticking with Photo Stream for the foreseeable future and keep iCloud Photo Library off. That way I still get my latest pictures on my devices and can sync them all with my Mac through iTunes Wi-Fi sync, which is really under-appreciated these days.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
It's basically the iOS Photos app for Mac OS X.
It has less functionality than iPhoto.
It has far less functionality than Aperture.

Completely disappointed. WTF, Apple?!

apple.com/feedback

Not saying it will work, just that it has a better chance than saying it here...

----------

Fine, then instead of getting something FREE then PAY for what works better for you. :p

Um, Apple isn't offering that as an option now, are they?

----------

I am crying into my coffee this morning.
I have used Aperture since version 1.
I have now used Photos on the public beta. Yeah it is better than iPhoto, however it is no Aperture replacement. Not even close.

Lightroom I hate. (I own 5 copies that have come with cameras etc, I don't even have it installed on any of my machines I dislike it that much.)

Capture One is running slow on my Mac Pro 2013 with 64GB of Ram and 4k display. Drawing masks there is a massive delay that makes it hard to see what they hell you are masking out.

Bring back Aperture X. Please Apple. I would pay $1000 for very fast updated Aperture.

Sigh.. I feel like a broken record but....

apple.com/feedback

Speek up where someone may (may) actually listen that could do.. something?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
You can - like with iTunes, you can hold down the option key when you open it and create or open different libraries.

This is a terrible user experience and was always one of the most embarrassing features of iPhoto. The user never knows which library is the current one and always ends up importing their photos into whichever one was last open when they plug in a device.

Bad Apple

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
You mean like they can tell under iTunes, Preferences, Advanced ?

Apple just "thinks different", it also "learns different" too :p

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yup, got the email, for a while it was a great app, until development stopped on it

Internaut

macrumors 65816
At present it doesn't. It also blacks black point and contrast adjustments. These are present in the iPhone version, 8.3, so I suspect they'll be added to the final version of Photos for OX.

Good grief - I hope they're no omitted from the final release. I find Camera Raw's brushes, and Photoshop's selection tools, nowhere near as effective as Aperture's brushes.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Photohope?

Maybe Photos will be great. Will it be free? Will there be a demo? Will you be able to have your library on a shared disk or shared folder? This better be one amazing product for killing off Aperture, I know many loved it.:(

Adobe is singing "Open Arms" to the Aperture peeps. I'm shooting RAW and Lightroom 4.4 has been pretty great, especially if you need to deal with huge libraries and a lot of metadata. -But- you really need to use local volumes for speed. I don't have to touch PS/CS6 much anymore, but it's really great when you have to repair scanned film.* I tried Capture One for awhile, but ended up going back to the DNG/Bridge/Photoshop workflow.

I'm sticking with LR 4.4 for now because the color handling going from RAW to JPEG export looks even better than the "Save As JPEG" dither in CS6. I don't know why. It's just great for print-prep. Also, the editing is non-destructive.

For photography, find the best tool you can afford and maintain your workflow. Don't skimp on backups.

*I haven't tried the Open Source one. Void where prohibited.

----------

This:

Mmmm .... yet another knee in the groin for the professional user by Apple
..... when are they going to learn that it was the professional users/software developers that gave them their reputation, credibility and market predominance in the first place.

..... Apple don't seem to realise that you don't replace one thing with another until it is better - in every way possible.

Professional users in all fields can do something about this ..... stick on the OS that works best for you with all the apps/software you like best ..... avoid iCloud like the plague ..... plenty of other cheaper 'Cloud' options available with much better control ......

http://www.top10cloudstorage.com/compare-specs/

..... and you can also set up a home based system these days very cheaply if you are keen to keep total control of your valuable pics.

...... Sad Apple don't want their devices to be regarded as a tool for the professional anymore .... guess it is now clear it is the "toy" market they are focussing on.
Personally, I think that is a mistake .... toys soon go out of fashion - but a good tool can be useful for years - even when the original owner has long discarded it. (Cue: Violins)

We'll look back at this moment in Apple's history and wonder ..... how much more management engineered customer alienation can these guys generate - unbelievable!

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
There are better alternatives to LR and Aperture, so unless you are only playing at being a photographer you have nothing to worry about as Photos will be all you need. I say this from a perspective of being a pro photographer before the Mac haters descend!

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
I'm guessing (and hoping) that Apple add more aperture features in the future, like they did with FCP X. FCP X is now fully featured and better than the competition. Fingers crossed.

Stop deluding yourself - Photos is a useless pos. There is no way it will ever get en par with Aperture. For that the ****** workflow it has has to be changed completly - But thats the big point in Photos. Photos for the idiots among us...

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
It looks like Apple is still dedicated to Logic X and FC X. I'm going to safely assume Aperture X will be arriving or announced on the 9th.

I can't see how Apple will leave the photography market to Adobe. It just doesn't make any sense. OS X Photos is not powerful enough. Aperture was outdated. I think spring forward is going to be a nice surprise!

Watch
MBA
Aperture X

So much self delusion. Apple has ****ed the semipro/pro photographers - accept it. Aperture won't come back. Hail to to cel phone photos...

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Very upset because Photos eliminates crucial Aperture features like "Flagged" which I use constantly. Also upset because last year, once the writing was on the wall, I made a concerted effort to use and learn Lightroom, and I just did not like it for various reasons, and I didn't get to be remotely as fast I was in Aperture.

Screwed.

I hear you. Since the mid 2000s I've used several RAW programs - started with Capture One, like Bibble for the speed, Lightroom. Aperture was just the best mix for me. Lightroom is full of features but there's something turgid about using it I just can't enjoy.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
No, the adjustment data is not lost (or ignored) - any adjustments you made will still exist and will be applied to those images (just as adjustments you make in iPhoto will be reflected in Aperture, and vice versa, even though the tools are different in each). Edit data in iPhoto, Aperture, and Photos are all stored in the same format.

What about adjustments made via brushes? Are these retained? You might not be able (yet) to make such adjustments in Photos but it would be interesting to know if Photos has the ability to read those adjustments.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
The biggest flaw in Photos is that it's all or nothing when it comes to putting your photos on iCloud.

I'd rather have a subset of my photos in iCloud, and keep the rest archived on my computer and not using up iCloud space.

It just shows that Apple seems to be doing this to sell iCloud subscriptions, and not to improve the user experience.
I agree, being able to move select photos/albums into the cloud would make it more accessible to the casual user.
Personally I've been after a cloud based solution for my entire photo library that would integrate seamlessly across my Apple devices for years, so the new program and iCloud Photo Library is literally exactly what I've been after and i'm more than happy to pay a monthly fee for the storage required. Having said that I can totally understand the frustration of those who would rather not pay and have more flexibility.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm guessing (and hoping) that Apple add more aperture features in the future, like they did with FCP X. FCP X is now fully featured and better than the competition. Fingers crossed.

Not a chance, while apple will add some features, it will be only for the consumer. Apple has shown that they're not wanting to compete with Adobe for the non-consumer photographer.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Although I assumed this would happen with lack of any real focus on the software, I can't say that I am thrilled about the move. I made a decision to stick with Aperture from the beginning. Now I am going to buy Lightroom and move to that. There is no way I'm moving to Photos. It just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. I don't love how iPhoto works today, but I use it to sync iPhone photos. I am not going to put everything on the cloud unless it driven by me. So basically, Lightroom wins. I'm sure Apple will survive, as will all of us Aperture users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.