Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i guess steve jobs just lost control of his platform since the original restriction was because he said that he needed to keep control for quality reasons

expect apps not to be updated for new OS versions until the dev kit is updated

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Maybe not, but he is an internet user. And that is an audience any website should be designed for. I personally agree with him that it has some clever effects. The biggest problems I have with it is 1) no multi-touch support (a flash issue) and 2) it overlaps behind the navigation panels. That just looks tacky to me.

Why? Why should an architectural design agency try to cater to every single user on the internet? There is a very narrow and well defined set of people that will interact with this company -- those are the people that they need to focus on. Not you or the OP. This is business 101.

Your opinion that it looks tacky is valid, you are quite entitled to that opinion, but you're really quibbling about minor implementation details. In my opinion it looks beautiful -- overlaps and all. I especially like the 'team' page. Remember; these people are selling their image (not a product, not web content) to clients who either want or aspire to cutting edge architecture. I believe the industrial deign look and feel is a perfect fit.

And so what if Flash doesn't support multi touch? If enough people ask for it Adobe will add it. It's just another event type.

MenLoveToys

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
We Get Your Point

Well I wouldn't chose them to make my projects if I can't find the content I want fast and easy.

OK, You don't like Flash. You've made that abundantly clear in every posting you've made.

Give it a rest, you are just getting annoying now.

marden72

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2005
The biggest problems I have with it is 1) no multi-touch support (a flash issue) and 2) it overlaps behind the navigation panels. That just looks tacky to me.

Flash Player 10.1 has full multitouch support in it. It is up to the developers to implement it in their apps and websites.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
OK, You don't like Flash. You've made that abundantly clear in every posting you've made.

Give it a rest, you are just getting annoying now.

My posts are within the topic of the discussion, if you have a problem with any of my posts feel free to report them and the mods will take appropriate action. Thank you.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
And then, say no. Android!

Flash is buggy. So is Java. Python. Ban it all. If you want to do Apple, only Objective C. And then get reviewed. Complaining about the review will get you minus points.

Why would I as a developer want that, when Android is smooth process and has more market share.

No, thank you. I'll build my apps for non iCrap.

Good luck trying to make a regular income on Android - man they need to sort the marketplace out as it's absolutely full of crap and there's almost no way to find the decent stuff.

Oh and grow up a little.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
Queue a new flood of crapware. Apps by "developers" that thought C was too much effort.

I think this is the catch all from Apple:

"If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour."

Hopefully that will stop the drag and drop type of developers.

miazma

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
We are continually trying to make the App Store even better. We have listened to our developers and taken much of their feedback to heart.

LOL. ********. They knew they wouldnt stand any chance when it became a question of law and legal.

solarthecat

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I think this is the catch all from Apple:

"If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour."

Hopefully that will stop the drag and drop type of developers.

Surely there is already room for an 'Amateur Hour' Category in the App Store!

I can think of 1,000's of Live Apps that should already be filed in there...:rolleyes:

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
The thing is you will never know with what development environment the apps were written, since they still need to be compiled to run on iDevices chips, which is one of the reason I believe this is a mistake.

The point remains that when developers use a different IDE, they rely on some other company to update their environment with the latest addition from Apple, in the end they will always be behind.

And for all those talking about flash, do anybody still think that Adobe, the company that took almost ten years to update its main software to cocoa, is going to report and adapt its own crippled software (flash) to incorporate the improvements that Apple offer at every revision of iOS?

In the end most devs that aren't using Xcode and CocoaTouch for their software will end up with a sub-par offering and one can only hope that the market will respond accordingly.

One more thing, lately Apple has being working a lot on an improving their IDE with Xcode 4. An IDE that incorporates a front-end and compiler optimized for C, Obj-C, C++ and Obj-C++ and Apple different platforms which is one of the perks of using Apple dev tools, all the work they have being putting in C++ language has to be in preparation of something (wishful thinking on my part maybe ^^).

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
apple doesn't care about customers!

I just find it funny apple claimed performance issues as the reason it banned them, and people were like "omg apple I love you always looking out for customers getting the best experience". Now with criticism of their policy they change it. To me this means one of two things, either they don't care about customers and their overall experience or it was never about poor performance in the first place. I think it's the latter.

brettgo1

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
i wonder if they'll be able to control threading as easily if the app isn't native objective c

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
apple doesn't care about customers!

I just find it funny apple claimed performance issues as the reason it banned them, and people were like "omg apple I love you always looking out for customers getting the best experience". Now with criticism of their policy they change it. To me this means one of two things, either they don't care about customers and their overall experience or it was never about poor performance in the first place. I think it's the latter.

how do you know Steve Jobs is lying? his lips are moving

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
The thing is you will never know with what development environment the apps were written, since they still need to be compiled to run on iDevices chips, which is one of the reason I believe this is a mistake.

The point remains that when developers use a different IDE, they rely on some other company to update their environment with the latest addition from Apple, in the end they will always be behind.

And for all those talking about flash, do anybody still think that Adobe, the company that took almost ten years to update its main software to cocoa, is going to report and adapt its own crippled software (flash) to incorporate the improvements that Apple offer at every revision of iOS?

In the end most devs that aren't using Xcode and CocoaTouch for their software will end up with a sub-par offering and one can only hope that the market will respond accordingly.

One more thing, lately Apple has being working a lot on an improving their IDE with Xcode 4. An IDE that incorporates a front-end and compiler optimized for C, Obj-C, C++ and Obj-C++ and Apple different platforms which is one of the perks of using Apple dev tools, all the work they have being putting in C++ language has to be in preparation of something (wishful thinking on my part maybe ^^).

even apple can't seem to keep it's own apps up to date with new API's

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

you do not program do you.
And IDE has nothing to with language. IDE just makes programing in any language easier. I could write almost any programing language n a text editor. Pain in the ass to do but I can. What really matters is the compiler. Now if you change it to a compiler then your argument makes some sense but an IDE is more just makes it easier to program in a said language because it will color code stuff and underline mistakes. And show you were errors are quicker and easier.

Now it fails in fact that different languages are better for different things and all programs will have one language they prefer over others and one that they are the best at. That language will the the one they will be tend to be drawn too.

Lets say someone is an amazing flash coder. He can write very good apps in action script. Everything runs great and is very good. Now if he does not know Xcode very well. He will never be as good at Xcode as the flash code so his flash apps will be by far better than his Xcode apps.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

Why do you, as a customer, care?

Good app -> buy
Bad app -> don't buy

tobian

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Prague
Or Adobe could learn to code, what a novel concept. Can you point me to a website showing of something designed in Flash that looks good?

I like these http://www.2advanced.com/ for example.

ActionScript is powerful, yet easy. All I hate is both Flash plugin for Mac browsers, and Player from Adobe.. because of it's bad implementation on MacOS X. :mad: I think Flash:
- is and always was somehow slower under MacOS X (so under iOS i guess).
- can crash Mac browser if contains a wrong srcript
- is hogging CPU

on the other hand, CS5 Flash Compiler promises to compile native iOS app out of your flash, without flash runtime. If that's true, I would be amazed! ;)

iPhoney:)

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
I'm not one of you smart developer types but this news leaves me with a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach for some reason :(

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
This is pretty much Apple admitting defeat. They were totally against this, announcing it right before Adobe were to release their thing. No heads up, just let Adobe spend all that R&D for nothing.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Can someone explain this to me ? What exactly does this restriction mean, and what are its implications ?

In a security standpoint, it means you can have interpreted code, scripting language like LUA(non-compiled) to be executed only within the sandboxed app itself. Any code that are downloaded and executed from an external source which alter the behavior of the application is prohibited. For example, I create a native Objective-C app that interprets Python code that can access all iOS API functions for educative purposes. If some crafty minded person where to create a script that you can access from the web within the app that allows a certain system exploit, Apple will consider this as a security threat.

However it might be possible to have the kid friendly programming platfrom called Scratch
except that you wouldn't be able to share your code to anyone directly.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
This is pretty much Apple admitting defeat.

...all the way to the bank.

Again, this is not war, nor is it five-year-olds fighting. It's a business decision that didn't make sense before and does now, due to whatever technical safeguards they have managed to create in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.