Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Hi everybody,

Just sold my iPhone 6 on Swappa, erased my iPhone 6, entered my apple id and password to remove it from find my iPhone. I was about to pack it, but decided to make couple screenshots from it with serial number and it is locked with some unknown yahoo email. Not my email at all!!! I never ever used Yahoo email in my life, I like Gmail. I never exchanged the iPhone. I bought it directly from Apples store a year ago. I paid the full price. Not a leased or contract phone. The iPhone is still shown under my support profile. The phone accepted my id and password to remove my phone from find my iPhone service.

I called Apple , they told me to send them a receipt. I have a paper copy, I sent it.
Of course, Apple refused they changed it or it was a third party. It takes couple days to reset the password from them. Buyer wants the phone yesterday.

Guys I not mentally retarded person. I know what I'm doing. I swear to the God I really worry about this situation and worry about my security.

Apple needs Steve Jobs again.

OMG!!!!

EDIT: My iPhone was never jailbroken or modified and always with the latest firmware.

Last edited:

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Jordan, I know and it is very sad. We loosing the best very fast. RIP Steve.

I hate that Apple told me that I changed Apple id. They made me stupid. I never had any mental problems or schizophrenia. I know what I did and what I don't.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Just to clarify - you wiped the phone, went back in immediately and it was another yahoo email on icloud? But you could remove the phone from your icloud using your gmail even though it says yahoo on the phone?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Just to clarify - you wiped the phone, went back in immediately and it was another yahoo email on icloud? But you could remove the phone from your icloud using your gmail even though it says yahoo on the phone?

You are correct. I could remove my phone from iCloud with my gmail apple id. Right after that some uknown p.....@yahoo.com appeared on the phone.

I wiped the phone, entered mi appleid, which is gmail, my password. Tried to activate the phone and there is some yahoo email appleid. iPhone is locked. I never ever used any yahoo emails at all. It says that my phone is registered with yahoo. Apple told me that they fix it, but takes up to 3 business days. Apple blames me, that I restored form "yahoo id" backup.
May be I'm mentally ill? :)

I tried to DFU it, same story. This is not my email. Never had it. I even checked history on all computers, never been to Yahoo for the last year. May be Yahoo boroughed some money and bought Google :)

iphone.jpg

Last edited:

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Sorry man but this is one strange story. The only thing I can think of is that you used iTunes to restore and that was set up on someone else's account. But even I dont believe my own explanation!

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
how's that possible ?

I didn't found it. I bought it from Apple, I have receipt and the email from them. Also I have my web order in my there file. Also the phone is under my support profile. Very stupid situation, but what I don't really like, "rotten" Apple wanted to put everything on me. They told me that only I could change an id. Another words I erased the phone, opened yahoo email, changed the id, forgot about that and tried to re-login right away.

I never had yahoo email or use their web site.

I really worry about my security now.
My IT guy just left, checked all my computers and found zero issues.

Sorry man but this is one strange story. The only thing I can think of is that you used iTunes to restore and that was set up on someone else's account. But even I dont believe my own explanation!

I have only my iPhone and iPad backups under the same apple id on my iMac 5K. All my family members have their own computers and have no access to my computer. My company is very crazy about security, the moment I told my boss about the situation he sent the IT guy to me. He checked everything and told me that it is next to impossible.

Apple told me exactly the same that I had a "yahoo" backup on my computer. Another words that I'm stupid.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Apple needs Steve Jobs again.

This has nothing to do with Steve Jobs and everything to do with the fact that it sounds like you've got a stolen iPhone.

If its not stolen, they'll unlock it based on the receipt you provided.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The only possible explanation is your iPhone wasn't really new when you purchased it.
Maybe a store mistake... Don't know.

Reactions: ABC5S

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
I didn't found it. I bought it from Apple, I have receipt and the email from them. Also I have my web order in my there file. Also the phone is under my support profile. Very stupid situation, but what I don't really like, "rotten" Apple wanted to put everything on me. They told me that only I could change an id. Another words I erased the phone, opened yahoo email, changed the id, forgot about that and tried to re-login right away.

I have only my iPhone and iPad backups under the same apple id on my iMac 5K. All my family members have their own computers and have no access to my computer. My company is very crazy about security, the moment I told my boss about the situation he sent the IT guy to me. He checked everything and told me that it is next to impossible.

Apple told me exactly the same that I had a "yahoo" backup on my computer. Another words that I'm stupid.

Have you tried putting it into DFU mode and reinstalling the firmware? Maybe it's just a glitch. Still how in the world could that happen??

I hope you find a solution! I understand how you feel with apple support, there absolutely no help at times, I have a extremely loud home button, told Apple and they say it's normal. Sometimes I don't understand Apple.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Have you tried putting it into DFU mode and reinstalling the firmware? Maybe it's just a glitch. Still how in the world could that happen??

I hope you find a solution! I understand how you feel with apple support, there absolutely no help at times, I have a extremely loud home button, told Apple and they say it's normal. Sometimes I don't understand Apple.
It's not a glitch, since the serial number seems to be associated with another email account.
The phone is somewhat pre-owned.... Like it was a refurbished unit.

Reactions: bojandordevic

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
It's not a glitch, since the serial number seems to be associated with another email account.
The phone is somewhat pre-owned.... Like it was a refurbished unit.

It can't be that - the guy is saying that he bought the phone a year ago, used it since then, decided to sell it so signed out of iCloud on it and wiped it, then immediately tried to set it up again to take some screenshots and found it was activation locked with someone else's iCloud account. Doesn't really seem possible to me, unless there was some really weird glitch in the activation servers that accidentally associated his phone's serial number/IMEI with someone else's account. Never seen anyone else complaining about that, though.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
Impossible. There are two possibilities here:

A) you've stolen the phone, bought it second hand etc. and the previous owner hasn't restored correctly.

B) you originally set up the phone with this yahoo account which you've now forgotten about and you changed the email since then.

There is absolutely no way that Apple has somehow forced another Apple ID onto your phone. Literally impossible. If there was a mix up, this would be apparent on the day you first bought the phone.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I didn't found it. I bought it from Apple, I have receipt and the email from them. Also I have my web order in my there file. Also the phone is under my support profile. Very stupid situation, but what I don't really like, "rotten" Apple wanted to put everything on me.
Call Apple again, and explain the situation to them clearly and calmly and they will be able to reset the phone. You will need your purchase documentation and ID for this to work. You may do better if you have a local Apple Store and make a genius appointment.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown

I dont think you are stupid. I just dont understand how this could happen...I am curious and if you can post any updated info (if you figure it out), I would love to hear more.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014

A) you've stolen the phone, bought it second hand etc. and the previous owner hasn't restored correctly.

B) you originally set up the phone with this yahoo account which you've now forgotten about and you changed the email since then.

There is absolutely no way that Apple has somehow forced another Apple ID onto your phone. Literally impossible. If there was a mix up, this would be apparent on the day you first bought the phone.

don't say impossible.

my dad's iPhone 4S is sitting in the drawer locked by iCloud because Apple wants me to input an ID that my dad NEVER had. i set up iCloud for him and wrote down all the emails (2 of them) that he ever used and now the phone won't let me remove activation lock.

the activation lock is flawed and until we can find a receipt of a phone that is 4 years old, we're SOL according to apple.

funny enough, when i called them, I said "is the email i need to unlock the phone example@icloud.com" and she said "yes that's it. now put in the password".

i put in the password and it says invalid. i use the same credentials to log into icloud.com and it works.

so stop acting like software can't have it's quirks and being a smartass.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I dont think you are stupid. I just dont understand how this could happen...I am curious and if you can post any updated info (if you figure it out), I would love to hear more.
I meant Apple thinks that I'm stupit, not you. They told me that I changed my apple id. BTW, still no resolution. I lost 10 dollars on Swappa fee already. Not to much, but it is minus, not plus.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012

A - it is MY phone, bought it from Apple, have a receipt, never was jailbroken, unlocked etc. Full price, not leased "Jump on supply" .....
B - I neither used Yahoo in my life nor have any mental problem nor seen by a psychiatrist. When I erased the phone it asked for appleid and password, I entered them. After erase new yahoo id showed up.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
don't say impossible.

my dad's iPhone 4S is sitting in the drawer locked by iCloud because Apple wants me to input an ID that my dad NEVER had. i set up iCloud for him and wrote down all the emails (2 of them) that he ever used and now the phone won't let me remove activation lock.

the activation lock is flawed and until we can find a receipt of a phone that is 4 years old, we're SOL according to apple.

funny enough, when i called them, I said "is the email i need to unlock the phone example@icloud.com" and she said "yes that's it. now put in the password".

i put in the password and it says invalid. i use the same credentials to log into icloud.com and it works.

so stop acting like software can't have it's quirks and being a smartass.

Thanks for your input here. It means that I'm not alone.
Apple didn't tell me what email id is there, for "security" reason. So... too change my id is ok, but to give it to me, here we have "security"

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach

i put in the password and it says invalid. i use the same credentials to log into icloud.com and it works

Have you tried changing the password using appleid.apple.com?

Last edited:

johnan2112

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
This happened to me too recently. Went to go from public beta to official and when after the factory reset, it had a strange yahoo email address locked to it. I took it to the Apple Store and they got it unlocked for me after showing them my receipt for the iPhone and AppleCare+. So strange.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This happened to a co-worker of mine. I thought he just forgot the password but like you said it was an email he never used, it was gmail but began with a "r" which he said he never had a gmail starting with an "r".

Apple was able to help him since he had a receipt.

Kind of feel bad for thinking he was just an idiot now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.