Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
This happened to me too recently. Went to go from public beta to official and when after the factory reset, it had a strange yahoo email address locked to it. I took it to the Apple Store and they got it unlocked for me after showing them my receipt for the iPhone and AppleCare+. So strange.
This happened to a co-worker of mine. I thought he just forgot the password but like you said it was an email he never used, it was gmail but began with a "r" which he said he never had a gmail starting with an "r".

Apple was able to help him since he had a receipt.

Kind of feel bad for thinking he was just an idiot now...

Thank you very much for your response. 2 days past, ticket still pending. Apple still keep telling me that it is me, not them.

And , YES, I had a beta on the iPhone. If it is beta, Apple is legally clean.

I just checked receipts for over phones 6s from At&t, subsidy iPhones I just bought from At&t. There is no iPhone S/N or IMEI on them. Can you imaging these iPhones be locked by aPPLE?! Thank God I bought apple Care from apple later, so I have at least some proof here.

With Apple it is always customer's problem , not the hardware/ software

Last edited:

johnan2112

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Thank you very much for your response. 2 days past, ticket still pending. Apple still keep telling me that it is me, not them.

And , YES, I had a beta on the iPhone. If it is beta, Apple is legally clean.

I just checked receipts for over phones 6s from At&t, subsidy iPhones I just bought from At&t. There is no iPhone S/N or IMEI on them. Can you imaging these iPhones be locked by aPPLE?! Thank God I bought apple Care from apple later, so I have at least some proof here.

With Apple it is always customer's problem , not the hardware/ software

If you have the original receipt, take it in to the Apple Store if you have one local to you. They should fix it in a few minutes.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
If you have the original receipt, take it in to the Apple Store if you have one local to you. They should fix it in a few minutes.

Thanks, I didn't know about this.

Apple super slow department just unlocked my iPhone!!! It took 2 days 2 hours and 8 minutes for them to process the unlock. It costs me 10 dollars I lost on Swappa since I couldn't ship it and around 1 hour on the phone with apple's cs. But who cares?! I should be happy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, I didn't know about this.

Apple super slow department just unlocked my iPhone!!! It took 2 days 2 hours and 8 minutes for them to process the unlock. It costs me 10 dollars I lost on Swappa since I couldn't ship it and around 1 hour on the phone with apple's cs. But who cares?! I should be happy.
Like many other companies Apple could have just not done anything at all and said that someone locked your phone and too bad for you as they can't do anything about it. Seems like Apple goes out of their way plenty of times for customers with their service.

Reactions: canuckRus

S.T.A.R.

Suspended
Jul 1, 2012
Like many other companies Apple could have just not done anything at all and said that someone locked your phone and too bad for you as they can't do anything about it. Seems like Apple goes out of their way plenty of times for customers with their service.

Apple fixing its own screw up is hardly going out of their way...

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
B - I neither used Yahoo in my life nor have any mental problem nor seen by a psychiatrist. [/QUOTE said:
Just because someone has seen a psychiatrist it doesn't mean you are crazy or dilussional. I have in my life suffered from depression and seen a psychiatrist for treatment, but it doesn't mean I'm "crazy" or dilussional. This is too extreme of an analogy to perhaps a software glitch.

Although this sounds so strange, it could be a mixed up related to the Apple servers just like another user here pointed out. Of course Apple would never accept to it that they experience software anomalies just like any other tech firm.

In my job, the clerical employees get at times locked out of their windows computers for no apparent reason, we have to call in networks to unlock them and out of curiosity I ask them what could have happened (besides the user having entered their passwords incorrect too many times), they have no answer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple fixing its own screw up is hardly going out of their way...
To be fair, plenty of things fail on all kinds of devices and plenty of things go wrong with them and the manufacturers often won't do much about it. No one is saying that Apple is perfect by any means, but in many instances as far as customer care goes they are often enough quite good and better than many.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
What about the computer you used to restore? Maybe someone else had their Yahoo Apple ID on iTunes and you used it to restore your phone a while back. I'm not sure this applies to you, but yeah.

This is a strange story.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I think you could have saved yourself a lot of time if you had gone into an Apple Store with the phone and your receipt. The receipt has the serial number on it. Not sure what they would have said at that point to dispute your claims.

ElysiumY2K

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
London
Yea... I don't believe in this story unless Apple sold you a refurbed iPhone (and they messed up on not wiping it) or you 'found' this iPhone.

Like alot of people said already, this would of been solved so much faster if you just went to an Apple store with your receipt. They would of fixed it for you there and then.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Yea... I don't believe in this story unless Apple sold you a refurbed iPhone (and they messed up on not wiping it) or you 'found' this iPhone.

Like alot of people said already, this would of been solved so much faster if you just went to an Apple store with your receipt. They would of fixed it for you there and then.

Look at my story

4S is an old phone.. No idea where the receipt is. My dad had to get a new phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You know, I followed everything, even the fact that you announced you aren't crazy, and then you turned this into Apple needing Steve again, which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

If they deem the phone was yours and they wipe the necessary lock, ask them how this could have happened. Beyond that I have no advice. Good luck.

Reactions: ABC5S

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012

I'm very sorry about your pro
You know, I followed everything, even the fact that you announced you aren't crazy, and then you turned this into Apple needing Steve again, which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

If they deem the phone was yours and they wipe the necessary lock, ask them how this could have happened. Beyond that I have no advice. Good luck.

I asked them. No answer. At least they unlocked it.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
There is an old thread here, I can't find it right now, it's two or three years old, about the same thing happening to many people.

OP is legit IMO.

It is an old security issue, one that Apple has apparently still not resolved.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

Do you really think the person that unlocked will be able to explain why this happened? I don't think so. Its like all the things my wife thinks are my fault with her phone and mobile service... sometimes stuff just happens in technology and you try again. Not worth trying to figure it out because odds are that it will never occur again to you. On Apple's side, if it happens enough to become costly, then they'll figure it out.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Do you really think the person that unlocked will be able to explain why this happened? I don't think so. Its like all the things my wife thinks are my fault with her phone and mobile service... sometimes stuff just happens in technology and you try again. Not worth trying to figure it out because odds are that it will never occur again to you. On Apple's side, if it happens enough to become costly, then they'll figure it out.
I think that someone at apple support should be able to give some form of explanation. This is a potential personal data breach issue. Somehow Apple's system allocated a specified serial number to a person who theoretically has never seen heard or even knows about this device. I would want someone to look into that for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.