Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
We all understand that everyone is happy with their iPhone 4.
Though it makes you all feel better that there "will be no upgrades"...we all know there are going to be.
These are just RUMORS people.
You dont think apple is going to be extremely careful about what leaks this time around?
Why would they not release iPhone 5 at WWDC, if it was just a slightly updated iPhone 4?

the fact is NOBODY KNOWS. Thats what makes this so much fun. We all wait on the edge of our seats as Willy Wonka shows us what he has for us next.
Who else can make us nerds so excited?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
My prediction:

Upgraded camera
My guess is that Steve will highlight this.

The iPhone is now the most popular camera on Flickr. Moreover, here's how Flickr describes their graphs:

"The graphs are only accurate to the extent that we can automatically detect the camera used to take the photo or shoot the video (about 2/3rds of the time). That is not usually possible with cameraphones, therefore they are under-represented."

Which means that the iPhone is far ahead of any other non-cameraphone.

He will focus on camera improvements whatever they are.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I find it very hard to complain about the current design :D
It's amazing.

It's a rectangular flat slab? What's so flipping amazing about that ?

It's fragile glass. What's so flipping amazing about that?

It's terrible at making phone calls. What's so flipping amazing about that?

It's got a horribly outdated, little tiny 3.5" display. That's not amazing.

Amazing... check this out: http://is.gd/457IO6

iphonepiephone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
The way these "news" threads influence people's reactions is simply hilarious! :D

Newsbot: "Someone inside 'the industry' says that the iPhone 5 will have a ROUND screen..."

Everyone: "That is RIDICULOUS!! I'm staying with my 3GS"

Seriously, why not WAIT AND SEE? :D :rolleyes:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Thats what makes this so much fun. We all wait on the edge of our seats as Willy Wonka shows us what he has for us next.

Who else can make us nerds so excited?

What's exciting about wondering whether Apple can produce a phone as good as a Thunderbolt?

The people inside of Apple's walled garden may be excited, but "the rest of us nerds" are only amused by watching the Apple fans before a keynote.

iphonepiephone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Personally, I'm hoping for a milk chocolate iPhone topped with rainbow sprinkles, so that if I text something untrue, and am found out, I can eat my words.

It may melt, but at least it won't crack, once it softens up in your hand(s) ;)

My next computer will be the new 27.5 inch toffee apple... mmmmmm! :p

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If I buy a new phone this year it wont be iphone 5. Ive got the iphone 4 and with ios 5 I have no need to buy yet another ios device.

If I buy a new phone it will be android, just because I want to try something new and different. I already know how ios and ios 5 is, so no need to buy iphone 5, whatever spcecs it has.

RockyOne

macrumors newbie
I find it very hard to complain about the current design :D
It's amazing.

Isn't the AT&T/GSM one technically a world phone? :confused:

I am very happy with my year old iPhone 4. I am 16km out of country town. Mainly 20 to several hundred acre blocks so not many people. My iPhone 4 works fine and love all the apps available. Never use my first generation these days as my iPhone is also my kind of iPod music machine and email vehicle. Some of the photos compare with proper digital cams after as touch in Photoshop. Great value. I feel sorry for my wife as she just has a 'normal' mobile (Cell US)

iphonepiephone

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
If I buy a new phone this year it wont be iphone 5. Ive got the iphone 4 and with ios 5 I have no need to buy yet another ios device.

If I buy a new phone it will be android, just because I want to try something new and different. I already know how ios and ios 5 is, so no need to buy iphone 5, whatever spcecs it has.

Let me save you the bother - Android is "okayish", but no match for iOS. At. All. There, saved you the hassle! :)

I am very happy with my year old iPhone 4. I am 16km out of country town. Mainly 20 to several hundred acre blocks so not many people. My iPhone 4 works fine and love all the apps available. Never use my first generation these days as my iPhone is also my kind of iPod music machine and email vehicle. Some of the photos compare with proper digital cams after as touch in Photoshop. Great value. I feel sorry for my wife as she just has a 'normal' mobile (Cell US)

Why do you "feel sorry" for your wife? She has a phone which makes/receives calls & sends texts - it is A PHONE, and probably is more rugged and has better battery life than yours, and she won't cry if she loses it.

Your wife wins that one, sorry! ;)

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Considering how many countries actually use 4G at the moment I can't see Apple implementing it. Can't see them calling it anything other than the iPhone 5 to be totally honest.

One problem with following that naming path though...what happens if this phone is not 4G but the next one is and they want to call attention to that fact? It would be weird going from an iPhone 5 "down" to an "iPhone 4G". Sure they could call that one an iPhone 6, but it would not highlight the changeover to 4G like they did with the iPhone 3G model. It could get rather confusing.

For example, I imagine the HTC EVO line going from EVO4G to EVO3D is causing some confusion in the marketplace right now. People are just funny that way with numbers. :D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
What's exciting about wondering whether Apple can produce a phone as good as a Thunderbolt?

The people inside of Apple's walled garden may be excited, but "the rest of us nerds" are only amused by watching the Apple fans before a keynote.

Money talks. Whether or not consumers are actually getting the best hardware, a hell of a lot think they do. That's all that matters to a business.

Perceived inferiority by an enthusiastic minority isn't interesting unless it's profitable.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The way these "news" threads influence people's reactions is simply hilarious! :D

Newsbot: "Someone inside 'the industry' says that the iPhone 5 will have a ROUND screen..."

Everyone: "That is RIDICULOUS!! I'm staying with my 3GS"

Seriously, why not WAIT AND SEE? :D :rolleyes:

Absolutely!!! Round Screen. Come on let's get real.

It's Oval. :apple:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I think due to the mess surrounding the 4 leak this story is just smoke and mirrors, 5 will have a good bump all around and probably and amazing thing as well thrown in for good measure.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
I'm glad there aren't any major changes.
I share your viewpoint. I am very happy that no major changes are being made. This way, hopefully Apple will get a good start on building a fresh new redesigned iPhone 6.

A phone that can do the things we expect out of a modern day smartphone. Things like being able to make phone calls that are clear and do not suffer from connectivity issues. A phone with a proper sized display, not a tiny one.

A phone that will be a true reflection of all the good things that I know Apple is capable of. And most importantly a phone that Apple doesn't' rush to market with antenna issues and other faults.

Time for Apple to get a grip and do the right thing.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Money talks. Whether or not consumers are actually getting the best hardware, a hell of a lot think they do. That's all that matters to a business.

Perceived inferiority by an enthusiastic minority isn't interesting unless it's profitable.

OK, but fortunately over the next few weeks I have several dinners planned for beer gardens in Redwood City. I'll let you know if I find anything.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It's a rectangular flat slab? What's so flipping amazing about that ?

It's fragile glass. What's so flipping amazing about that?

It's terrible at making phone calls. What's so flipping amazing about that?

It's got a horribly outdated, little tiny 3.5" display. That's not amazing.

Amazing... check this out: http://is.gd/457IO6

It's amazing because Steve said so.

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010

I think that HTC is excited as well, so they can see what their phone is going to look like in 2 years.
Which is ironically how long it takes for those sluggish phones to open apps and recognize touch input.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

Really? The Thunderbolt that can kill the battery in 3 hours? That's good to you? Cool beans.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Really? The Thunderbolt that can kill the battery in 3 hours? That's good to you? Cool beans.

An MBA can kill the battery in three hours if you hold it wrong.

I know from personal experience that a Thunderbolt can go 16 hours if you hold it right. I also know that friends with Iphones complain about having to charge every day - and avoiding too much surfing if they're not close to an outlet.

Take any battery-operated portable computer and you can propose scenarios where the battery lasts a very few hours, or a few days.

What's your point?

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
An MBA can kill the battery in three hours if you hold it wrong.

I know from personal experience that a Thunderbolt can go 16 hours if you hold it right. I also know that friends with Iphones complain about having to charge every day - and avoiding too much surfing if they're not close to an outlet.

What's your point?

I'm sure you don't want to debate how important battery life is in a mobile device and the difference between babying your phone and using it.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm sure you don't want to debate how important battery life is in a mobile device and the difference between babying your phone and using it.

Of course not, since both a Thunderbolt and an Iphone can be used all day.

I just returned from a 4 July weekend trip with my husband to his family. "Babying it" meant turning off the desktop wallpaper that had a live salt-water aquarium with dozens of fish moving about. (He has the TBolt, I have a Samsung WinMobile phone that goes about a week between charges - I didn't even bring my charger on the trip.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.