Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Features? how bout HD video recording, VIDEO CHAT, retina display, front and back camera, multitasking, and wayyyy more..... how many more features do you want?

they DO care about what the customers want, clearly.
And yet non of these things are real Apple inventions. Retina display you say? Nope. You got that thanks to LG. Oh and multitasking can be done even better. Really.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
And yet non of these things are real Apple inventions. Retina display you say? Nope. You got that thanks to LG. Oh and multitasking can be done even better. Really.

Wow. So...where's the famous LGRumors forum where half a million people go to chat and argue about their phones? Esp the ones better than the iPhone.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
If this is a setting I have control over and the ability to choose what is suspicious then this seems a good feature. As long as I can set it to only report to me when my defined suspicious activity is encountered.

On the other hand if it is just built into the iOS and reports surreptitiously to Apple without my consent then I would never use an iOS device again. There may also be legal issues with flagging jailbroken/unlocked devices since those activities are legal to do on a device you own.
Unlike Google's tactics, users would likely have control over this alleged feature, which is only in its patent stage.

Way to fail at Google. Here's the first search result that flew over your head:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poncy

And if you somehow missed that one, you could have gone with hit #2:

http://www.slangsite.com/slang/P.html
LOL²

Ignorance is bliss, after all. :)

So I assume in your tireless crusade for truth on the internet, you are registered on major Android and Windows forums (sorry, I don't know any actual site names, because I don't give a crap about those systems), fighting the good fight and stamping out the rampant FUD there as well? Sure you are. :rolleyes:

Oh, and you didn't answer my original question. You just gave some B.S. about why YOU are supposedly here. Try again.

Monotonous crusade, would be more relevant here.

BTW, have you heard the one about "bashing the arrogant fanbois?" :p

Wow. So...where's the famous LGRumors forum where half a million people go to chat and argue about their phones? Esp the ones better than the iPhone.
Apparently, those sites don't exist, so they all convene here.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Why would somebody be jailbreaking their phone while engaged in an intimate act?

Clearly not the time to be multi-tasking.

jjofc11

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
No Privacy

this is just doesn't make any sense, if apple gives the iPhone for free i would stick with their restrictions but if I pay for a device I can do whatever I like with it

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Since when is macrumors.com famous? Is that your benchmark? Oh I get it, facts don't matter here. I forgot. Sorry.

Fact is that LG Displays invented this display, but Apple gave it a name and got it first... so it has to be an Apple invention. I see. Not.

Apparently, those sites don't exist, so they all convene here.
They do exists, but you knew that already.

Note: I don't have any LG branded products in my house / office, but it is time for people to stop spreading lies.

Quapps

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
North Wales
Open your eyes to what this means.

My eyes are open. If you Jailbreak you can get banned from the AppStore which is GREAT news as it will make people think twice.

I don't understand what is up with people like you? I guess you're not a fan of jailbreaking, which is fine. But why "ban" jailbreakers? You're not into jailbreaking, so it shouldn't be allowed for everybody? How about we let people do what they want with their own devices.

How about we don't allow people to steal our apps? A lot of the jailbreaking community hide behind the facade that they are doing it to do other things with their devices or to "trial" software..... yeah right.....

I am happy for Apple to initiate bans to all jailbreakers.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009

How about we don't allow people to steal our apps? A lot of the jailbreaking community hide behind the facade that they are doing it to do other things with their devices or to "trial" software..... yeah right.....

I am happy for Apple to initiate bans to all jailbreakers.
I don't agree with you. Not every jail breaker is a thief. Not necessarily.

I rather see a better system in place for this kind of things, without punishing people who don't do any wrong doing.

Note: I'm an app developer myself, and won't jail break any of my iDevices, but that's simply because we developers don't need it anyway.

mdude85

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
You chose to buy the product and agree to the terms of software. If you think it's exerting too much control over your life, stop using it. That nobody is forcing you to use these products makes this far from Orwellian.

FairyGodmother

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
As dyed-in-the-wool Apple fan recovering from the loss of a MacBook, I hope this application will never see its way out to the end user. Such application could be misused with or without Apple's blessing... Therefore, if Apple decide to implement the app, it would make millions of customers reconsider their choices. After all, we all value our freedom more than Steve Job's team inventions.

As for the jailbraking, once T-Mobile/Verizon (or both) start carrying iPhone, people's need of jailbraking their iPhone will go significantly down.

bl4ckd0g

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Windhoek, Namibia
Just wanted to point out that in the article, Macrumors cite heartbeat sensors, and in the related article about that patent, they talk about Nike+ reporting people being skeptical about that implementation.
If hasn't already bring to attention, Nike released an heartbeat band working in the Nike+ environment a month after that article (last june). So sounds logical that also iPods will feature those sensors. Regarding biometrics, as explained the method feels very very unreliable: think that you are doing an emergency call because someone just crashed a car in front of you. Or your sister fell from the stairs. Or you are excited because you are calling your loved one for the first appointment. Or...

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Note: I don't have any LG branded products in my house / office, but it is time for people to stop spreading lies.

Interesting thing that most of the die-hards don't realize is that inside that shiny Apple is a lot of LG, Samsung, Phillips components. I like how you used the word branded because in a sense thats what it all comes down to. Branded.

markgo2k

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Interesting thing that most of the die-hards don't realize is that inside that shiny Apple is a lot of LG, Samsung, Phillips components. I like how you used the word branded because in a sense thats what it all comes down to. Branded.

Branding is certainly important, but the iPhone is a lot more than a brand (unlike Windows Mobile). Apple has kept extraordinarily tight design control of every aspect of the hardware, software, and even cellphone firmware.

Using components from offshore providers doesn't imply that Apple isn't designing the phone. It's been a decade since any significant consumer electronics maker actually manufactured their own devices (certain Japanese companies excluded). But what Apple is doing goes way beyond slapping a label on a motherboard from one company, a display from another, etc. They are designing the components and then bidding out the manufacturing, just as almost every other electronics maker does.

Before the iPhone came out, the carriers were in control of what software could and would appear on the phone. Apple, more than any other device maker, took control of these aspects so they could control the user end-experience.

Some find this level of control distasteful, it's that very level of control that makes what Apple is doing more than slapping a brand on things.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Using components from offshore providers doesn't imply that Apple isn't designing the phone. It's been a decade since any significant consumer electronics maker actually manufactured their own devices (certain Japanese companies excluded). But what Apple is doing goes way beyond slapping a label on a motherboard from one company, a display from another, etc. They are designing the components and then bidding out the manufacturing, just as almost every other electronics maker does.

"They are designing the components" - no, they are not.
Probably the most "custom" device is the iPhone 4 - here the processor is customised (i.e. put in some ARM IP and a bunch of other things from recently acquired PA Semi, and have Samsung fab it), the antenna is custom and the case is custom. Most of the other bits are COTS.

Apple is doing a good job in integrating everything, writing sw etc, but the fanboys need to figure out that most of this stuff is off-the-shelf.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
The only people that are butt hurt are the jailbroken fan boys. I don't care if Apple detects the usage of my phone. I use my phone as intended...not to steal applications, illegally facetime on the network or crash the OS because of using crap software. Why is it so hard for people to understand quality control? How is this any different from Microsoft, Adobe etc. being nazis by allowing software to phone home when an illegal version is used? Get over yourselves seriously.

Next thing you know people will think Google maps is an invasion of privacy...oh wait...

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
The only people that are butt hurt are the jailbroken fan boys. I don't care if Apple detects the usage of my phone. I use my phone as intended...not to steal applications, illegally facetime on the network or crash the OS because of using crap software. Why is it so hard for people to understand quality control? How is this any different from Microsoft, Adobe etc. being nazis by allowing software to phone home when an illegal version is used? Get over yourselves seriously.

Next thing you know people will think Google maps is an invasion of privacy...oh wait...
What's wrong with jailbreaking?
Some of us prefer to be able to customize the look of OUR iPhones or add functionality to them.
Can't do that without jailbreaking.
A lot of the features you enjoy on the iPhone today came about from the jailbreaking community.

Your implication that all jailbreakers "steal applications" is utter garbage. Yes... some do and those douchbags should be caught.

And psst... it's not "illegal" to run Facetime over 3G... it's just not officially supported. There is a difference... learn it.

The phone is mine... I bought it and I will do with it as I please within the limits of the law. The law says I can jailbreak.
If I choose to void my warranty by jailbreaking and somehow manage to screw up my phone, that's my problem.

It should be MY choice, not Apple's.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
What's wrong with jailbreaking?
Some of us prefer to be able to customize the look of OUR iPhones or add functionality to them.
Can't do that without jailbreaking.
A lot of the features you enjoy on the iPhone today came about from the jailbreaking community.

Your implication that all jailbreakers "steal applications" is utter garbage. Yes... some do and those douchbags should be caught.

And psst... it's not "illegal" to run Facetime over 3G... it's just not officially supported. There is a difference... learn it.

The phone is mine... I bought it and I will do with it as I please within the limits of the law. The law says I can jailbreak.
If I choose to void my warranty by jailbreaking and somehow manage to screw up my phone, that's my problem.

It should be MY choice, not Apple's.

You made literally zero valid points.

Jailbreaking is..wait for it...jailbreaking. How does one weed out the good jailbreakers from the bad jailbreakers? Even if that was possible how much money would that cost? You obviously have no relevant understanding of how this works so let me break this down for you.

You bought the device from Apple. They created the device with intended use. You download software to jailbreak iPhone and use unsupported software.
Is this illegal? No.
Is your facetime data usage on AT&T's already horrific network illegal? No.
Is it in bad taste? Yes.

If everyone had your mindset that it was perfectly ok then we would all be in a serious world of hurt. My implication that jailbreakers are stealing applications is guess what..correct. If you choose to jailbreak fine, but understand the vast majority of the retards that jailbreak their phones, go to Apple when they brick them and expect service. This is an obvious concern for Apple when their devices are being diagnosed for unsupported usage. Just because you bought a device doesn't mean you can hack it and expect everything to work and be fixed if it ever affects the performance of the device. Like I mentioned in another thread, you don't buy a BMW M3, modify the suspension and then complain to BMW about the ride quality. They don't support aftermarket modification just like Apple doesn't support jailbreaking. The difference is jailbreakers are robbing developers of the money they require to stay in business and provide us with apps. I promise they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I would understand, if the devices were only rented off apple, but they are actually purchased from apple. It's not like you're buying a licence to use an iphone/ pad, you are buying the actual device, therefore it is yours! So you can do with it what you like, apple need to get over their over-protective parent phase. They need to realise the world is far from perfect and so consequently people aren't going to use their devices for the original intended purpose.

If apple actually went through with this gross invasion of privacy, id instantly switch over to MS, no joke, sure they have their faults, but at least they aren't trying to deliberately spy on you.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I would understand, if the devices were only rented off apple, but they are actually purchased from apple. It's not like you're buying a licence to use an iphone/ pad, you are buying the actual device, therefore it is yours! So you can do with it what you like, apple need to get over their over-protective parent phase. They need to realise the world is far from perfect and so consequently people aren't going to use their devices for the original intended purpose.

If apple actually went through with this gross invasion of privacy, id instantly switch over to MS, no joke, sure they have their faults, but at least they aren't trying to deliberately spy on you.
You're incorrect. You own the hardware, and you can do whatever you want with it, but you don't own the software, you're only licensing it from Apple. As such, it is not yours to do whatever you want with it as it does not belong to you.

Quapps

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
North Wales
A lot of people here are hiding behind the true reasons they jailbreak.

I am going to go out on a limb here and make up my own statistic and say that probably 90% of users who jailbreak are doing it to steal apps. Sure, they all hide behind each other and say that it's for trial purposes but that's ridiculous.

I have apps being stolen daily and a few friends do too.

Some of them even have trial versions for FREE on the AppStore already so there goes that excuse.

Apple aren't saying that you cannot jailbreak btw! They are saying they don't want you to jailbreak and if you do you could lose Apple support which is 100% what jailbreakers should expect.

Why should Apple allow you to continue to use their software if you use your phone for purposes it wasn't designed for?

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I once had a MSFT employee we were negotiating with sit across the table and say to my face "join us or we will bury you".

SpecSavers, LexisNexis... uhh.

Any other companies that employ this technique?

LexisNexis is truly scummy though, they just bought CCH and announced they're stopping all support for their software, essentially screwing over every law firm in NZ.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Quapps said:
A lot of people here are hiding behind the true reasons they jailbreak.

I am going to go out on a limb here and make up my own statistic and say that probably 90% of users who jailbreak are doing it to steal apps. Sure, they all hide behind each other and say that it's for trial purposes but that's ridiculous.

I have apps being stolen daily and a few friends do too.

Some of them even have trial versions for FREE on the AppStore already so there goes that excuse.

Apple aren't saying that you cannot jailbreak btw! They are saying they don't want you to jailbreak and if you do you could lose Apple support which is 100% what jailbreakers should expect.

Why should Apple allow you to continue to use their software if you use your phone for purposes it wasn't designed for?

90% Jesus Christ, I hope your programming skills are better than your statistical hypothesis skills. That number is much lower.

I jail broke tonget folders on my iPhone 3G, a device that is too old to enjoy iOS 4, mywi for tethering, and backgrounder. Turns out the reason I don't let go of my jailbreak is because I prefer the text message app that I paid for as well as the quick reply app that I also paid for. I believe what drew me to jailbreaking again after not doing it was to tether my iPad. Turns out I've used it about 5 times and never again since.

As far as stealing apps, I don't steal in my every day life and I don't see even $10 for a useful app to be a lot. I've paid for a ton of apps in the iTunes store and the ones that I could not (BiteSMS, Quickreply, Mywi) I paid the dev directly.

90% :rolleyes: Please. Let's face it, not everyone is a thief and certainly not 90% of iPhone owners who jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.