Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
Just out of interest, I did enter my email address on the HSBC website to get updates regarding Apple Pay. All my HSBC cards are registered now, but still no email from HSBC. They really are a bunch of clowns, I am considering moving banks now, as HSBC are also quite expensive for using their cards abroad. That is not set in stone yet, will put my thinking cap on (and maybe some tin foil over it) and then consider my options.

Halifax Clarity has 0 foreign exchange fees and 0 cash withdrawal fees internationaly, best in class.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Halifax Clarity has 0 foreign exchange fees and 0 cash withdrawal fees internationaly, best in class.
They are a great bank, but they are lacking Apple Pay at the moment. Unfortunately not an option at the moment, but hopefully soon. Thanks for your kind reply!

Last edited:
Reactions: catean

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland

I've got one that lives with my passport and I wouldn't leave the country without it, but I also wouldn't use it in the UK as there are many better options for spending at home!

Reactions: catean

jamesgooner

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Managed to use apple pay via HSBC on the tube yesterday. It's quicker to fire up the passbook app and confirm your Touch ID before you enter the gates. Then simply touch in.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
On the phone or watch?
Phone - just hold it near the contactless reader, and hold touch ID (for your default card), or select the card and swipe to the one you want to pay with.
Watch - just double press the friends button and hold near the terminal.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201239

I've not actually used my phone yet, the watch is too easy :)

On the phone....

thanks, ill have a look at the link..... but if you've got to open up passbook to get the card up, I might as well just get the card out of my wallet and tap that instead.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
On the phone....

thanks, ill have a look at the link..... but if you've got to open up passbook to get the card up, I might as well just get the card out of my wallet and tap that instead.

With iOS 9, you double tap the home button whilst it's locked and if you keep your finger on the button as you do it, Touch ID scans at same time. Which is great when you have just 1 card, as you're done quicker than someone getting their wallet out. If you have more than one card, you just tap the one and then scan finger. Still quicker than fiddling with cards in wallets. I am done in under 2 seconds from pocket to authorised now.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
On the phone....

You don't have to open passbook - if you don't hold your finger over the touchid it'll present the cards on your account and you can swipe through them.
Try it somewhere quiet for the first time; or even pop into your local apple store and ask to do a test transaction (which is what I did after my first go with the watch failed miserably). Given 95% of my spending is done with my Natwest card, this is my default on the watch, and it's super quick. I'm just impatient for other places to adopt it now, most notably rolling out contactless to tesco's UK-wide...

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
I managed to add my card initially, but it failed to make any payments successfully. Looking into I determined that the billing address somehow had got muddled up, I removed the card and have been trying to re-add it with no luck. Apple say there is no problem on their system, HSBC no problem on theirs. So I'm stuffed...great!

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
I managed to add my card initially, but it failed to make any payments successfully. Looking into I determined that the billing address somehow had got muddled up, I removed the card and have been trying to re-add it with no luck. Apple say there is no problem on their system, HSBC no problem on theirs. So I'm stuffed...great!

I'm in exactly the same situation. first direct gave me a number for Apple that turned out to be an internal support number and not for customers (oops). After calling up AppleCare, and first direct, and going through multiple pointless steps (reset settings, factory reset etc.), first direct told me that Apple hold a list of cards that have failed to activate "too many times". A card falls of this list after "a while", but they aren't aware of cards on the list, and aren't aware of how to get cards off the list, or indeed how long "a while" is.

If your card is on the list, the bank never gets told you're trying to use it for Apple Pay — Apple simply drop the request, causing the "Card Not Added. Contact card issuer for more details" message. The advise was: wait till next week and don't try adding your card for a while.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
I'm in exactly the same situation. first direct gave me a number for Apple that turned out to be an internal support number and not for customers (oops). After calling up AppleCare, and first direct, and going through multiple pointless steps (reset settings, factory reset etc.), first direct told me that Apple hold a list of cards that have failed to activate "too many times". A card falls of this list after "a while", but they aren't aware of cards on the list, and aren't aware of how to get cards off the list, or indeed how long "a while" is.

If your card is on the list, the bank never gets told you're trying to use it for Apple Pay — Apple simply drop the request, causing the "Card Not Added. Contact card issuer for more details" message. The advise was: wait till next week and don't try adding your card for a while.

That is handy information to have, thanks! I'm waiting for a call back from HSBC this afternoon so I will bring it up then and then talk to my assigned Senior Advisor at Apple about it.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
UPDATE: Apple Senior Advisor denies the existence of said list. That they are unaware of any reason why it should not work... sad times

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You don't have to open passbook - if you don't hold your finger over the touchid it'll present the cards on your account and you can swipe through them.
Try it somewhere quiet for the first time; or even pop into your local apple store and ask to do a test transaction (which is what I did after my first go with the watch failed miserably). Given 95% of my spending is done with my Natwest card, this is my default on the watch, and it's super quick. I'm just impatient for other places to adopt it now, most notably rolling out contactless to tesco's UK-wide...

Plus, iOS 9 makes it even easier. Double click when locked is great!

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
On the phone....

No need to do anything on your phone.

You hold it near the payment reader, even with the screen off and device locked and it'll detect you want to pay for something and light up the screen with your default card, then you just hold your finger on Touch ID and it'll verify.

Read that on apples own website, and tested it in Pret just now to confirm.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
No need to do anything on your phone.

You hold it near the payment reader, even with the screen off and device locked and it'll detect you want to pay for something and light up the screen with your default card, then you just hold your finger on Touch ID and it'll verify.

Read that on apples own website, and tested it in Pret just now to confirm.

Even faster….

1. Get your card via passbook.
  2. Authenticate via Touch ID
  3. You now have 60 seconds to place your phone near the reader.
Great for the tube. In a store you can do steps 1&2 while the sales assistant is scanning your shopping.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I've tried today to use Apple Pay @ Tesco in London without success. The terminal was completly ignorin my phone even if it worked straight away with the contactless card. Anybody that understands the logic?

Jordanbanimator

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
Was so close using apple pay in M&S went to use touchid forgot for a moment the finger i use for touch id i scraped / hurt it while designing & modelmaking a few days ago Damn ! :) (i think it would have worked too) if i hadnt hurt my finger!! :( :)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Even faster….

1. Get your card via passbook.
  2. Authenticate via Touch ID
  3. You now have 60 seconds to place your phone near the reader.
Great for the tube. In a store you can do steps 1&2 while the sales assistant is scanning your shopping.

Even faster on iOS 9...
- double tap home button as you get your phone out, keep finger on there if you're using your default card anyway, so it authenticates.
- You now have 60 seconds to place your phone near the reader.

Love it. Plus it seems to have a reasonable range that by the time I'm about 5cm from the terminal, it's already authorised. Done in 2 seconds from pocket.

mporcheron

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Nottingham, UK
UPDATE: Apple Senior Advisor denies the existence of said list. That they are unaware of any reason why it should not work... sad times
Well, I'm not surprised. The CSRs seem to be trying their best but they don't seem to have been told anything, and can't actually do anything. I imagine they're trying to make sense of what they can/can't see on their system in lieu of actual solutions.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
One of my Amex cards can't be added to Apple pay either. Apparently too many people are associated with my device even though I'm on the only person. Amex can't do anything apparently.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Well, I'm not surprised. The CSRs seem to be trying their best but they don't seem to have been told anything, and can't actually do anything. I imagine they're trying to make sense of what they can/can't see on their system in lieu of actual solutions.

Something the first person I spoke to at HSBC did, fixed the problem but they seem unable to replicate it.

They also totally failed to call me back today as they said they would...

Last edited:

Jamiet361

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Leeds, UK
I am in the same situation as some others. Deleted my card from Passbook but can now no longer add any of my three HSBC cards. Keep getting the error "Card not added, contact your card issuer for more information". I've tried restoring my phone and contacting HSBC & Apple. Neither can detect any issues.

Hopefully the issues are only temporary, but I am beginning to get worried :/.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.