Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have exactly the same issue as others with an MNBA Visa card. I can add the card to my :apple:Watch and my wife's iPhone but trying to add it to my iPhone results in this message:
eio3va.png

Have been through fault finding with MBNA's :apple:Pay team and they say everything is OK their end. They were supposed to escalate it internally and call me back, but I am still waiting. :(

Last edited:

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Guys, I have been given the email address of the Senior Advisor at Apple working on this, if anyone else wants me to keep them posted as to her progress on it I would be happy to. I will have to ask her before giving you her email directly but she seemed to want as much information as possible.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Even faster….

1. Get your card via passbook.
  2. Authenticate via Touch ID
  3. You now have 60 seconds to place your phone near the reader.
Great for the tube. In a store you can do steps 1&2 while the sales assistant is scanning your shopping.

I did notice this could be done, and on the tube this is probably how I would do it. In store its not such a big issue to take an extra 2 seconds.

I am in the same situation as some others. Deleted my card from Passbook but can now no longer add any of my three HSBC cards. Keep getting the error "Card not added, contact your card issuer for more information". I've tried restoring my phone and contacting HSBC & Apple. Neither can detect any issues.

Hopefully the issues are only temporary, but I am beginning to get worried :/.

I believe they are temporary, as I had exactly the same issue yesterday morning. Added to my watch okay (through he watch app) but kept getting the error through my phone. Left it alone for an hour and randomly tried on the way to work, and it went through fine. Just keep trying!

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
I did notice this could be done, and on the tube this is probably how I would do it. In store its not such a big issue to take an extra 2 seconds.

I believe they are temporary, as I had exactly the same issue yesterday morning. Added to my watch okay (through he watch app) but kept getting the error through my phone. Left it alone for an hour and randomly tried on the way to work, and it went through fine. Just keep trying!

I wouldn't keep trying. I would leave it a while, I think there is some kind of problem connecting, and then they all stream through at once and cause even more problems. The advisor told me to wait at least 24 hours before trying again, and that this did happen at the launch of the other banks for some customers and those banks had to "change their systems although we aren't party to that" - knowing HSBC the system is straining and ready to burst, I'm waiting 24 hours and trying again while she is on the line and then I'll wait a week and try again.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I have exactly the same issue as others with an MNBA Visa card. I can add the card to my :apple:Watch and my wife's iPhone but trying to add it to my iPhone results in this message:
eio3va.png

Have been through fault finding with MBNA's :apple:Pay team and they say everything is OK their end. They were supposed to escalate it internally and call me back, but I am still waiting. :(

I am having a similar issue with my HSBC debit card. I managed to add it to my phone first time round but have been trying for several days to add it to my watch with no success. I do think Apple should have made it more seamless and provided a way to just sync the cards from the watch to the phone. I can't call HSBC right now as I'm abroad but I'm going to call them as soon as I get back in a couple of days. Hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

By the way anyone got the customer service number for Apple to call regards issues with ApplePay. I may well call them too.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Guys, I have been given the email address of the Senior Advisor at Apple working on this, if anyone else wants me to keep them posted as to her progress on it I would be happy to. I will have to ask her before giving you her email directly but she seemed to want as much information as possible.

If you could keep me posted that would be great. If it's possible to get her email that would help if OK to do so.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
If you could keep me posted that would be great. If it's possible to get her email that would help if OK to do so.

Message me on here with your email and I'll CC you in to my next email along with any one else who does the same.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Message me on here with your email and I'll CC you in to my next email along with any one else who does the same.

Thanks. I'm not sure if starting a private conversation on these forums Is the same as messaging but that's what I did. Hopefully you get the information. Let me know if you didn't.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Ok unfortunately she is unable to give out her email address to several people at once as the case number is solely mine. What she has told me is that Apple are 99% certain that this is an HSBC/First Direct issue, that they are both using the same backend and that we should contact them directly. Apple cannot do so on our behalf. She understands our frustration and is staying on the case so if anyone is successful please post here and I will update her.

Sorry I couldn't bring you in to the conversation if you asked me to do so.

EDIT: I have just called HSBC and are aware of these issues. Try again on Monday or later next week is the official line.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Thanks for the update and for trying to help get me in contact with Apple. I understand the reasoning behind not being able to. I'm going to call HSBC when I get home tomorrow and see if they have a solution or any news/information. Other then that I will just keep trying. At least I can use the card on my phone in the mean time.

Random hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Don't know if it's new info but it seems like tesco have their own mobile payments system coming up called PayQwiq currently trialling in selected stores in Edinburgh and London, do we think this might slow up their full Apple Pay support?
Non of the tescos near me offer contactless

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Don't know if it's new info but it seems like tesco have their own mobile payments system coming up called PayQwiq currently trialling in selected stores in Edinburgh and London, do we think this might slow up their full Apple Pay support?

I've used Apple Pay in my local little Tesco Extra. Worked without problems.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

The PayQwiq thing is showing up on the self service ones here in Newbury & Reading. It will bomb and they'll bring contactless in. Just a matter of time.

Jamiet361

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Leeds, UK
Thanks for the update and for trying to help get me in contact with Apple. I understand the reasoning behind not being able to. I'm going to call HSBC when I get home tomorrow and see if they have a solution or any news/information. Other then that I will just keep trying. At least I can use the card on my phone in the mean time.

Let us know how you get on! I'm getting really frustrated with this, starting to look at Natwest...

Reactions: Jurgenuk

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Has anybody had any luck with Amex on Apple Pay. My card is registered but everywhere is try to use it through Apple Pay it asks for the card and pin to be entered.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Let us know how you get on! I'm getting really frustrated with this, starting to look at Natwest...

I just called two different numbers at HSBC. The first one sounded like an overseas call centre and the person wasn't helpful at all. She told me as I was able to add my card to my phone I should be able to add it to my Watch. She suggested I made sure the card number, expiry date and security code were correct which i had already checked several times.

On the second number the person told me the same thing that as I was able to add my card to my phone I should be able to add it to my Watch. He did say as I had tried overseas in a country that does not support ApplePay this was the issue. However I was able to add the card to my phone just fine whilst overseas plus I tried today here in the UK to add the card to my Watch. He told me to try restarting the phone and the watch and to wait 30 mins. before trying again. So I'm going to try that. If that doesn't work I will call Apple as well as call HSBC back.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Has anybody had any luck with Amex on Apple Pay. My card is registered but everywhere is try to use it through Apple Pay it asks for the card and pin to be entered.

I've used ApplePay with my Amex card several times in Costa and Starbucks and was never asked to enter anything.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
There is a crown sourced list at this blog which users are reporting their experiences with :apple:Pay. Amex is a particular issue at the moment as stores who accept Amex don't accept Amex contactless or Amex :apple:Pay.
Thanks for that. Very helpful..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.