Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
I do exactly the same even in a retailer who has Apple Pay decals in the Windows/at the Point of Sale.

I will say out of the places I've used my Watch my Tesco store is by far the quickest and easiest in terms of paying/processing the transaction.

Yes, it's good that the terminal is always live looking for a contactless card/device. Do you still have to choose finish and pay?

A metro store I sometimes use was a trial store for contactless and at that time the implementation was not as good as you had to select contactless from the payment options.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Yes, it's good that the terminal is always live looking for a contactless card/device. Do you still have to choose finish and pay?

A metro store I sometimes use was a trial store for contactless and at that time the implementation was not as good as you had to select contactless from the payment options.

Must admit I do tap "Finish and Pay" to calculate any savings but I no longer press the Contactless Payment button on the terminal as it's good to go.

neil_cm17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
United Kingdom
Good to see that my local Tesco's in Harlow now supports Contactless.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: iGeek2014

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Contactless is being accepting at Asda Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent. You have to select card payment then the terminal displays the contactless logo. Not been able to test if it accepts >£30.

Will have to try out the one in Spondon, Derby next week and see if it's been enabled there.

Something tells me it'll be capped at £30 given Walmart's decision to roll out their own app in the US....

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Is your local Asda one of their "super centres" or just the 'standard' formats?

It's listed on the Asda website as a superstore, but I think all the normal stores are, it's the smaller former Netto stores that are listed as supermarkets. It's pretty much a normal Asda.

For anyone local, I went to The View (restaurant) for lunch today in Tynemouth and they support Apple Pay above £30. I didn't see any Apple Pay branding but when I said pay by card the reader was still contactless enabled despite the bill being £36.

I think this is the first time I've used Apple Pay above £30.

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
Quick question. I use Apple Pay at least once everyday. What i want to know is does it work in any shop that supports contactless payments because i randomly tried Apple Pay at work and it worked! We never got told that we support it and we also don't have the Apple Pay stickers so I'm curious to know if Apple Pay works with any contactless card machines and doesn't require software updates on the card machines. :cool:

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Quick question. I use Apple Pay at least once everyday. What i want to know is does it work in any shop that supports contactless payments because i randomly tried Apple Pay at work and it worked! We never got told that we support it and we also don't have the Apple Pay stickers so I'm curious to know if Apple Pay works with any contactless card machines and doesn't require software updates on the card machines. :cool:

The vast majority of contactless retailers support Apple Pay even if they don't know it or promote it.

Just ask for contactless payment rather than Apple Pay, as asking for Apple Pay in some stores still confuses people.

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
The vast majority of contactless retailers support Apple Pay even if they don't know it or promote it.

Just ask for contactless payment rather than Apple Pay, as asking for Apple Pay in some stores still confuses people.
You're so right about saying Apple Pay confuses people. I go to Greggs every morning before work to get my dinner. This one women always gets confused. It actually annoys me because she's done it so many times for me. I'm like "Look, it's contactless payment on your till screen" She gets so confused and starts panicking and I'm like WTF! haha!!

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
You're so right about saying Apple Pay confuses people. I go to Greggs every morning before work to get my dinner. This one women always gets confused. It actually annoys me because she's done it so many times for me. I'm like "Look, it's contactless payment on your till screen" She gets so confused and starts panicking and I'm like WTF! haha!!

It's annoying they get confused in Greggs as they even specifically mention supporting Apple Pay, and you'd think once they'd seen it from one customer they'd be clear for next time.

Reactions: JacksonCraig94

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's annoying they get confused in Greggs as they even specifically mention supporting Apple Pay, and you'd think once they'd seen it from one customer they'd be clear for next time.
I don't tell them I'm going to use Apple Pay. If it supports contactless I just point to to card machine and say I'm going to pay on there and then I just pay with my watch and watch them getting mystified as the transaction goes through. Many shops don't even know that they support Apple Pay.

Reactions: iGeek2014

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I don't tell them I'm going to use Apple Pay. If it supports contactless I just point to to card machine and say I'm going to pay on there and then I just pay with my watch and watch them getting mystified as the transaction goes through. Many shops don't even know that they support Apple Pay.

Which is ridiculous seeing as the service has been around since July 14th 2015.

Wonder how many of them will adopt Apple Pay via Safari?

Reactions: KaPOWitsCHRIS

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Which is ridiculous seeing as the service has been around since July 14th 2015.

Wonder how many of them will adopt Apple Pay via Safari?
Staff training is shocking at M&S I am always told when I ask for contactless, that amount over 30 quid wouldn't be possible contactless, when I ask them to try it always goes through. I complained to the shop in question several times, they always say they will inform the staff, and they never do.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Staff training is shocking at M&S I am always told when I ask for contactless, that amount over 30 quid wouldn't be possible contactless, when I ask them to try it always goes through. I complained to the shop in question several times, they always say they will inform the staff, and they never do.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest.

Can't be that difficult to communicate to your members of staff that we accept Apple Pay over £30 (where supported).

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest.

Can't be that difficult to communicate to your members of staff that we accept Apple Pay over £30 (where supported).

I work in a small-ish store with around 30 members of staff, it's a very busy store that takes around £120k a week most of that being fuel purchases.

All the staff are paid to do shift based work and everybody does everything, there are no departments and no specific skill-sets excluding management. Our younger member of staff is 18 and our oldest around 42.

Because of the intensity of the store and the fact that at no point do we have all staff in, communication is actually very challenging! Changes such as a new set of payment terminals is not communicated and in fact I've signed an engineer in to install new scanners and he was in & out within about 5 minutes after quickly explaining to me that 'it can scan screens'. Unless I pin a sheet of paper to the canteen wall to point out the new scanners, all the staff will just 'figure them out'.

The problem is that stores often don't value these sorts of changes because they don't offer immediate, obvious income and benefits to the business whereas for example a new meal deal or another fuel island does.

youknownow

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
wait i might be incredibly slow to the party, but apple pay contactless will allow you to pay for over £30? where as my regular physical card is still limited to £30?

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK

Ah that's interesting, they said the same to me when I did the dreaded school uniform shop a few weeks ago. Should have asked them to try it anyway. This was the main Milton Keynes shop in the centre...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.