Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yes, certainly nothing to do with the enormous amounts of legislation and negotiating that has to be done for each country individually. Theres also no way they would want to make sure everything works in the US first before rolling out further and potentially having bigger problems.

Enormous, seriously?

In the US you have hundreds of banks... Here in Canada, we have 5 major banks. Was it really that hard for them to try to make a deal at least with the 5 major ones that the vast majority of Canadians use?

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
I'm guessing it has more to do with the management and the IT team of the banks. Some banks are so small that they have 1-2 IT people, or even outsource their IT and have management that doesn't follow the latest news, other banks have hundreds of developers, were on top of this months ago.

Eh, very very good point. I might need to switch banks. Mine is a credit union--a corporation site credit union.

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I just tried again (here in Switzerland) and it didn't work. Tried at Subway and Starbucks. Subway claims their NFC wasn't working. Starbucks appeared to go through, but the cash register didn't indicate the same. I have a Citibank card I'll register next time I venture out, but I'm not going to try anymore for the sake of trying Apple Pay. I have a feeling there is something here with the terminals that isn't permitting the transaction to go through.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
It's not Apple that's limiting it, our banks are slow to innovate.

OR, and please tell me if you think I'm wrong.. Apple just doesn't really give a **** to negotiate with banks outside of the US (at least at the moment)

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Am I the only one that doesn't get this whole Apple Pay thing?

How is this different than existing NFC solutions that have been around for years?

It seems like we see articles for retailers supporting "Apple Pay", but then Apple Pay works with any NFC terminal?! Why do retailers need to support Apple Pay specifically instead of just using stabdard NFC? Is it possible for a retailer to support Apple Pay, but not other NFC solutions (such as Google Wallet)?

I understand Apple Pay introduces some security improvements over standard NFC, but it also seems like Apple Pay works with standard NFC terminals, and standard NFC devices will work where Apple Pay does...

I'm with you on this one. I read the gist of how Apple Pay works, but I'm not quite sold on the security—especially in light of all the recent iCloud hacking.

jermwhl

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
OR, and please tell me if you think I'm wrong.. Apple just doesn't really give a **** to negotiate with banks outside of the US (at least at the moment)

I thought Eddie Cue hinted they were already attempting to implement it in other countries. I imagine they have to abide by international and country-specific regulations for each country they enter into. Much like the communications regulations, now they'll need to jump through fiscal regulations as well.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Enormous, seriously?

In the US you have hundreds of banks... Here in Canada, we have 5 major banks. Was it really that hard for them to try to make a deal at least with the 5 major ones that the vast majority of Canadians use?

And I'd bet that future roll outs will happen soon and go pretty quickly. I know it must suck to not be able to use this from day 1...I'm even a bit perturbed that my primary card is from Barclay Bank which is coming in the next wave but not yet active.

But this was really the most prudent way for Apple to roll this out cautiously to make sure it's working before going world wide. They chose the top US cc issuers with close to 90% of the cc volume and introduced it into the country with probably the most iPhones (and also Apple's "home" country) but also probably one of the weaker infrastructures of places that accept NFC payments. That way it can be widely adopted but still be a relatively small launch....we only buy so much at McDonald's, despite our reputation! Once they are sure it's working, how hard will it be to turn on the 5 big Canadian banks? Not very. It also won't be that hard to turn on the 500 additional US banks as I bet most of their transactions are run through relatively few data processors.

I bet that by early next year it's rolling into Canada, Australia, UK, and any other country with NFC infrastructure. I guess what will remain to be seen is whether the banks in those countries will pay Apple for the security that's added. In the US Apple is adding a fair bit of security....the extra margin probably isn't as great in the countries that already have Chip+PIN. So maybe ApplePay won't be as attractive to the banks in other countries.

----------

Eh, very very good point. I might need to switch banks. Mine is a credit union--a corporation site credit union.

But I think most credit unions use the same actual "issuer" of credit cards. I bet your monthly statement doesn't actually come from your credit union's office but from some processor in Georgia or North Carlolina? (I think that's where my company's credit union card statements came from). Since many credit unions use the same company, I bet Apple just has to implement ApplePay once to be able to offer it to many credit unions. Apple may have signed 500 banks/credit unions, but they surely aren't doing 500 separate implementations.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
If Visa and Mastercard have signed up for it in the US, then I don't understand why they can't release it in the UK and other places. I can understand country-specific banks needing to be sorted out individually but surely the big deals with Visa and Mastercard will apply internationally! I'm just really worried we're gonna get to this time next year and Apple still won't have launched in any other country.

iTunes Radio is basically still only available in the US and they launched that like two years ago. Maybe they should have waited until they can release something internationally before releasing it at all.

Signed, a jealous iPhone 6 Plus user in the UK.

kdarling

macrumors P6
How does this work on Google Wallet? Is the card on the lock screen as well? Is it verified with a passcode? Do you need to sign or transact with the credit card terminal in any way?

There are zillions of Google Wallet demonstration videos online, if you're interested. Not surprisingly, most were also filmed at McDonalds :eek:

Payments are almost exactly the same, except that you can either set it to require a PIN each time, or you can do it once and set a long timeout before it's needed again. (If your phone is lost or stolen, just go online and suspend Wallet. Same as with Apple Pay.)

And this is why I would not want to use Google Wallet even if I had an Android phone. I'm trying to cut Google's influence OUT of my life, not give them more access.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

With Google Wallet, Google might use the purchase info to help with Now cards or targeted ads. In return, we get various services. Everyone knows this.

However, most purchases are hidden from the credit card companies, as Google becomes the merchant of record.

--

What most people don't know (and Apple sure isn't going to point out) is that:

With Apple Pay, the credit card companies get to continue collecting data on our purchases, which they not only continuously profile to determine our credit worthiness, but it's information which they likewise sell to ad networks.

Not only that, but in return for using Apple Pay with "more security", we get... well, nothing. Not even a kickback. Instead, the kickback goes to Apple. Not their customers.

In other words, Apple Pay users and their purchases are the product that Apple is selling to the banks.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Wow it makes purchases in other countries!

That's magical and revolutionary!

Who would have thought that would be possible in our lifetimes!

What a fantastic time to be alive!

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I'm with you on this one. I read the gist of how Apple Pay works, but I'm not quite sold on the security—especially in light of all the recent iCloud hacking.

But the banks are sold on it. Literally. They are paying for it. And you still have the same mandated protections against fraudulent use.

Go ahead and "hack"....I mean login to your iCloud account (since that's all the "hackers" did)....and see how much of your ApplePay info is in there. Zero.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

iCloud was NOT hacked. This has been stressed so many damn times. It was social engineering used to 'guess' the celebrities' passwords. As a result, Apple now insist on iCloud users having two-step login enabled. iCloud was not hacked and Apple's systems were not compromised. It was down to the celebrities not making use of secure passwords.

Apple Pay is secure because if somebody wanted to buy stuff with your cards, they'd need your phone...and your finger print. It's way more secure than the swipe nonsense the US has, whereas we've had chip and PIN in the UK for years and years now.

Try to research more into the "iCloud hacking" before making sweeping statements which aren't true. Apple Pay is secure, iCloud is secure.

Furthermore, your card information isn't actually stored on any of your devices. The iPhone creates a card-specific code which just references the information which identifies your card, it scraps all the actual details. So nobody can 'hack' (there's that word again) into your iPhone and steal your card details.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
And this is why I would not want to use Google Wallet even if I had an Android phone. I'm trying to cut Google's influence OUT of my life, not give them more access.

So when Google does it it's bad, but when Apple does the exact same thing it's fantastic? I bet you love the fact that Apple dictates what you can and cannot do with an iPhone too.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
In other words, Apple Pay users and their purchases are the product that Apple is selling to the banks.

No...transaction security is what Apple is selling to the banks. The banks already had us as users and already had access to our purchase info that you cite. The thing banks are gaining is the assurance that the transactions implemented through ApplePay are not fraudulent transactions....unless of course someone is holding a gun to the payer's head and forcing them to use TouchID to make a payment.

richdruitt

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2014
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. Are Americans that far behind in technology that even an Australian seems unfazed by this technology. So what you can store your cards in a phone and tap and go for payments.
Frankly, I'm going to have to carry my credit cards everywhere with me anyway, after all, not everywhere has NFC terminals and if my battery runs dead, I'd be pretty screwed if I didn't have the physical cards.

All my cards have had NFC implanted for years. ApplePay just seems like a bit of a gimmick and it's a gimmick I'm not sure I see the point of.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So when Google does it it's bad, but when Apple does the exact same thing it's fantastic? I bet you love the fact that Apple dictates what you can and cannot do with an iPhone too.

Google and Apple did not do the same thing at all. Why do you think they did?

Google stores your credit card data on their servers, Apple does not.

Apple doesn't dictate anything. Customers are all free to switch phones if they don't like what their phone does. There is no life-sentence or jail-time associated with a phone. Get over it.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
iCloud was NOT hacked. This has been stressed so many damn times. It was social engineering used to 'guess' the celebrities' passwords. As a result, Apple now insist on iCloud users having two-step login enabled. iCloud was not hacked and Apple's systems were not compromised. It was down to the celebrities not making use of secure passwords.

Apple Pay is secure because if somebody wanted to buy stuff with your cards, they'd need your phone...and your finger print. It's way more secure than the swipe nonsense the US has, whereas we've had chip and PIN in the UK for years and years now.

Try to research more into the "iCloud hacking" before making sweeping statements which aren't true. Apple Pay is secure, iCloud is secure.

Furthermore, your card information isn't actually stored on any of your devices. The iPhone creates a card-specific code which just references the information which identifies your card, it scraps all the actual details. So nobody can 'hack' (there's that word again) into your iPhone and steal your card details.

No, it wasn't hacked, it was built with such mediocrity that it enabled the social engineering (which is also hacking, by the way) that caused the problem. Gives a person great confidence when handing over your financial information.

Or given that Apple has been caught thrice willfully breaking the law, maybe Apple won't let your financial information leak, they'll just do something illegal with it themselves.

iosiseasy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
Successfully used at McDonald's and Tim Hortons

I am fortunate enough to have a US based credit card so I was able to get it into Apple Pay. I just bought lunch at McDonald's with no issue in Toronto and also coffee at Time Horton's in Toronto (which is great since they aren't a listed vendor so it shows any NFC capable store will work).

It was easy, fast, and we didn't even tell the cashier we were paying with our iPhone. I just said credit card and I tapped, authenticated and moved on.

Sadly, it won't be a normal occurrence since I don't want to continue paying exchange and foreign exchange fees on the credit card.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This is quite interesting though. I heard they're bringing Apple Pay to BarclayCard (Barclays Credit Card) in the next wave which may mean my UK Barclays Debit Card will be compatible. I'll find out when they switch BarclayCard on.

Ps. By telling your iPhone that you're in the US, does this change anything else about the function of the OS? Can I set it to US and pretty much just go about my life or will it change other stuff?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Google and Apple did not do the same thing at all. Why do you think they did?

Google stores your credit card data on their servers, Apple does not.

Apple doesn't dictate anything. Customers are all free to switch phones if they don't like what their phone does. There is no life-sentence or jail-time associated with a phone. Get over it.

Apple sells advertising and Google sell advertising, both based on your personal data.

See the next story along: "Apple plans to monetize its mobile payment system by integrating iAds with Apple Pay. This iAds portion of the loyalty system allegedly will use iBeacons and Bluetooth LE to push targeted ads with a "tap-to-buy" button to customers while they are visiting a participating merchant."

Apple lets you install applications on your phone only if approves, Google doesn't.

I'm not sure what the significance of storing credit card numbers is. Most online stores do that.

I'm not sure what you want me to get over, but your attitude in saying that reveals that you get upset when someone criticizes Apple. Maybe you should talk to someone about that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.