Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meikdunj

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2015
The day is finally here! Used Apple Pay this morning on the way to work to pay for a coffee. Wasn't quite brave enough (lol) to use my watch but worked seamlessly and very easily on my phone. Anyone used there watch yet? How well does it work compared to the phone?

tomaustin44

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
Well mine doesn't seem to work at all, Card registered perfectly on phone but isn't on Watch. Nothing in passbook and double tap does nothing. Ideas?

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Anyone else getting this?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 359

a1psx

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
UK
Im getting cannot connect to apple watch error from the watch app, although updating haptic makes it vibrate - so connection is there. Will try a reboot.

sohilpandya

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2013
London
Anyone Travelled on the tube or the bus yet using this? I wonder what those ticket inspectors will be thinking when we flash out our phones for them.

BTW i restarted my phone in the morning and apple pay was there in the passbook app.

Nmeyrick

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Anyone Travelled on the tube or the bus yet using this? I wonder what those ticket inspectors will be thinking when we flash out our phones for them.

BTW i restarted my phone in the morning and apple pay was there in the passbook app.

Just used it this morning with Amex on my watch with the bus and tube (Liverpool Street). Bus driver looked confused then grinned! I did have a heart stopping moment waiting for the barriers at the tube but then they opened and all was good. Reaching my left wrist to the reader on the right of the barrier was a little awkward but not to bad.

Welcome to the future!

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I added both Nationwide VISA debit cards to my Passbook this morning without issue, but have yet to actually pay for something.

I'm thinking about just going to McDonalds up the road to try it out :D :D :D

I did pay for something on Sunday with my Apple Watch though, but it wasn't using Apple Pay, it was using my Greggs card. There was a free donut offer on, so I showed the guy behind the counter the offer and asked which donut it was. He said any of them and then asked if I had a barcode, to which I presented my Apple Watch to the reader. A split second later there was a bleep and it was all done. He grinned and said 'That's so cool!'. I walked out feeling pleased with myself!!!

Reactions: orbital~debris

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
Just used Amex in Waitrose - worked fine but the receipt would not print as the card reader wanted me to remove my card!
Supervisor came and could not get it to work either but as it showed the amount paid on my iPhone, they accepted it. Obviously their system needs tweaking.

Reactions: orbital~debris

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Apple Pay requires a passcode on the watch, grrr. I was hoping to avoid that.

Set up 4 cards on phone and 2 on my watch, off to use it on the tube in a short while.

Last edited:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

You don't have to worry about the ticket inspectors, you should worry about the 100's of people queueing behind you that you are holding up as you fiddle with your technology instead of slapping an Oyster card on the exit gate.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
You don't have to worry about the ticket inspectors, you should worry about the 100's of people queueing behind you that you are holding up as you fiddle with your technology instead of slapping an Oyster card on the exit gate.
How exactly is holding some code over the reader with the watch considered as "fiddling"? Especially when you get used to it after some time?

Are you still driving a steam machine? :rolleyes:

mypyh4ooo

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2013
Not working with Halifax .. Can anyone confirm that theirs is working with Halifax at all ? Barclaycard won't work I presume.

Eliottjames

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
I'm seeing nothing in the passbook section of the watch app yet. I don't have my watch with me, do I need to be connected to it for the app to update on my phone?

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
RBS only supports Apple Pay if you have a premium account.
You don't need an account with a monthly fee, just a standard account will work not basic.

Apple Pay is available on all our RBS personal current accounts excluding Basic, Revolve and Overdraft Control. All RBS MasterCard credit cards are eligible, Visa credit cards are excluded. Business debit cards and Business credit cards are not currently supported.

http://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/ways-to-bank-with-us-new/mobile-banking/Apple-pay.html#

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
I'm seeing nothing in the passbook section of the watch app yet. I don't have my watch with me, do I need to be connected to it for the app to update on my phone?
Apple Watch is not needed, in fact I can't even use my watch yet as I'm on the watchOS beta 3 release which does not support Apple PAy.

I couldn't add cards either until I went into "Find Apps for Wallet" section and then returned. I was able to add a card after that.

Reactions: Eliottjames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.