Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eliottjames

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
I only have an iPhone 5s so nothing will show up in passbook will it?
Apple Watch is not needed, in fact I can't even use my watch yet as I'm on the watchOS beta 3 release which does not support Apple PAy.

I couldn't add cards either until I went into "Find Apps for Wallet" section and then returned. I was able to add a card after that.
only

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
Just opened an account with natwest so I can use it. Silly ?
Not sure I would go that far! My bank account is with Lloyds and I cannot use my Lloyds card yet but luckily I have an Amex card which is supported and so I shall make do with that and wait for Lloyds to join Apple Pay later this year.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
How exactly is holding some code over the reader with the watch considered as "fiddling"? Especially when you get used to it after some time?

Are you still driving a steam machine? :rolleyes:
You obviously don't live in London otherwise you would understand exactly what I am talking about.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK

Nothing in Passbook/wallet. If you have a watch then you can add a card through the Watch app under the passbook menu. It's actually delightfully simple.

Has anybody been brave and been to a non-listed shop yet? The Apple website claims that any shop accepting contactless will take Apple pay, which does make sense as it's the same thing.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Tesco takes contactless payment so they should support Apple Pay, right? I might try it later and report back.

Eliottjames

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
Nothing in Passbook/wallet. If you have a watch then you can add a card through the Watch app under the passbook menu. It's actually delightfully simple.

Has anybody been brave and been to a non-listed shop yet? The Apple website claims that any shop accepting contactless will take Apple pay, which does make sense as it's the same thing.
I've seen several posts from people who have tried it in other locations such as Morrisons and it works fine!

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I was hoping to be able to see recent transactions of the cards I use with my watch. If they're there they're well hidden - have I missed something?

Wouldn't work first time in Waitrose today. The woman had to come and void the transaction. Still made me happy though!:)

SimonCarbon

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Warwickshire
Just used Amex in Waitrose - worked fine but the receipt would not print as the card reader wanted me to remove my card!
Supervisor came and could not get it to work either but as it showed the amount paid on my iPhone, they accepted it. Obviously their system needs tweaking.

Tried to use my Amex on my Watch in a Waitrose earlier and the card reader didn't seem to recognise the watch. Had to resort to my debit card :-(

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK

only

Yeah, I'm sure you've sussed this already as well but just commenting as I have a 5s also.

Passbook won't show anything else at all with a 5s, it seems that this is the reason that the watch app has a feature to add the card.

Go into the watch app and 'Passbook' should now say 'Passbook & Apple Pay' if it doesn't try killing and restarting it, restarting phone etc. Add your cards there (exceptionally easy btw, a great feat of UX there - nice one!).

Possibly the other reason for having the option to add it here is if you want it on the watch but not on the iPhone. Perhaps somebody with a 6 could answer if the option to add the card is there independently of Passbook.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Just opened an account with natwest so I can use it. Silly ?

I'm here in the States and enjoying all your posts BTW. I have a clueless bank that I'm biding my time with hoping they will upgrade their equipment or whatever to accept Apple Pay. I'm seriously thinking of changing banks for the added convenience and protection of Apple Pay. I keep calling to see if they have plans yet. So, Silly? Nope! Hey hubby and I have received communications from about 5-6 different companies of the last few years saying some of our info might have been compromised. So really, No, just a better way to handle transactions.

Last edited:

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Yeah, I'm sure you've sussed this already as well but just commenting as I have a 5s also.

Passbook won't show anything else at all with a 5s, it seems that this is the reason that the watch app has a feature to add the card.

Go into the watch app and 'Passbook' should now say 'Passbook & Apple Pay' if it doesn't try killing and restarting it, restarting phone etc. Add your cards there (exceptionally easy btw, a great feat of UX there - nice one!).

Possibly the other reason for having the option to add it here is if you want it on the watch but not on the iPhone. Perhaps somebody with a 6 could answer if the option to add the card is there independently of Passbook.

Yes on my iPhone 6 I had to add my Natwest card on each device separately.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
You don't have to worry about the ticket inspectors, you should worry about the 100's of people queueing behind you that you are holding up as you fiddle with your technology instead of slapping an Oyster card on the exit gate.

Fiddling with technology? You just double tap your watch as you approach the gates and then hold it to the Oyster reader as you walk through. Unless you walk around holding your Oyster card out all day then it doesn't get faster or more convenient than that.

Reactions: Eliottjames

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
Yes on my iPhone 6 I had to add my Natwest card on each device separately.
Me too! Each card has to be added and verified on both devices - it does not automatically transfer to the watch after you add it to the phone. Use Passbook for the card on the phone and then use Passbook in the Apple Watch App on the phone to add it to the watch!

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Just used it this morning with Amex on my watch with the bus and tube (Liverpool Street).

Did you just add a card to your device that had previously been registered with TfL? Or did you need to do anything else to set it up?

Can't wait to try this; strongly considering changing banks to get it!

karljolly

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Used it 3 times today with Amex on my phone. Subway worked well, BP and Waitrose both failed. I have a feeling I have paid twice. ....

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Has anyone found the 'recent transaction' list for Apple Watch payments? There is one the phone, for phone payments, but I couldn't find the watch one, either on the watch itself, or the apple watch app on the phone.

ant69

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Apple Pay requires a passcode on the watch, grrr. I was hoping to avoid that.

Set up 4 cards on phone and 2 on my watch, off to use it on the tube in a short while.

having a passcode on the apple watch is even simpler than on a iphone though - as you only need enter it whenever you put the watch on... or you can use your iphone to unlock your watch - simply by unlocking your iphone when the watch is on your wrist and it wont need the passcode again till the next time you take it off.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Can someone clarify if you have to have Passbook open on your watch when you pay? Or do you just point it at the card reader and double click?

You don't need to mess with Passbook. Just double click the side button from anywhere and Apply Pay appears with your default card and the word, "Ready...". There is no delay. I just tested it and it switched off, with a tone, after about 70 seconds.

Reactions: jannette

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
How exactly is holding some code over the reader with the watch considered as "fiddling"? Especially when you get used to it after some time?

Are you still driving a steam machine? :rolleyes:

I think he/she has a point. While I certainly wasn't holding up hundreds of people when I tried it today it did require a bit of wrist contortion compared to just using an Oyster card.

Nmeyrick

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Did you just add a card to your device that had previously been registered with TfL? Or did you need to do anything else to set it up?

Can't wait to try this; strongly considering changing banks to get it!

Didn't register card or device with tfl - just added the card to passbook on my watch and good to go.

As mentioned above you don't need to activate the card as you get the the gate, you can double tap as you approach and it will stay active for around a minute.

Made it home the same way as well, all went very smoothly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.