Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Seriously, just go and buy a full frame digital camera (Canon 6D) if you actually care about your photos. Any upgrades to the iPhone camera will be minor (especially for noise levels in low light, and you will never be able to achieve narrow depth of field with a phone).

Obviously an SLR or micro four-thirds camera will provide better image quality, all things considered. But as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you.

I just got back from my honeymoon, and even though I have a decently compact M 4/3 camera with an f/1.7 pancake lens, I was a little jealous of my wife's iPhone 5s! It's literally one-fifth the size of my setup and produces sharp, rich images. At f/2.2, it's quite capable of a bit of bokeh on close ups. And 10x more discreet and socially acceptable.

A bigger, badder sensor isn't always the best tool for job :)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I am pretty sure that there will be no 5.5" iPhone just like that teardrop shaped iPhone that was rumoured ahead of the iPhone 5 launch never happened

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I am pretty sure that there will be no 5.5" iPhone just like that teardrop shaped iPhone that was rumoured ahead of the iPhone 5 launch never happened

You may be right. There seems to be a dearth of parts related to the 5.5". No front glass leaks, no component leaks (I think?), just some physical mockups.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
The bigger form factor with more "flat" space might lead to Apple being able to increase the size of the sensor again. I'd love it if the camera stayed 8megs and the sensor just increased. My 6 meg DSLR from many many years ago will still take a better picture than any phone ever made. One can't make the lense too much bigger, but I assume there is room to increase the sensor a bit more.

trade off though, is that by increasing the sensor size, you also need to adjust the glass in front of it.

the glass has to be adjusted to allow for the maximum amount of light to fall on the entire frame. larger Sensors require larger openings, with more glass in front.

which, usually means the need to go thicker. I don't see Apple increasing the thickness of their phones just to add a few more Milimeters to the sensor size.

geo1378

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014

it would surprise me too. thats one thing that kind of upsets me about apple. why not make two sizes now to make everyone happy. there are still lots of people who want a galaxy note size device. i know apple likes to take its time and make things great but they also should have done apps on the apple tv by now too. they are late to the game with that. they have an incredible opportunity to make apple tv into a game system and app compatible and its been three years since those rumors came up. people don't talk on the phone much anymore compared to texting and web browsing so they are fine with a 5.5 inch screen. apple could easily beat android if they just offered more sizes and it really should not have taken this long to finally do it. the 4 inch screen doesnt even count to me as much of an upgrade. i have felt let down by the last 3 iPhones and i feel the let down this year will be no 5.5 inch. ill be happy with the 4.7 but id be more happy with a 5.5

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Use your phone as a point and shoot replacement. Not a DSLR

No one actually wants/expects a mobile camera to replace a dedicated camera. Most people now days don't even feel the need of a dedicated camera since most people were happy with P&S to begin with and they have been replaced by mobile cameras. It's always nice to have better camera especially on a device that will likely be within your hand's reach at all times. The best camera is the one that is with you, right? Just because mobile camera cannot and will not compete with dedicated camera, doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect/want improvement on them.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
No one actually wants/expects a mobile camera to replace a dedicated camera. Most people now days don't even feel the need of a dedicated camera since most people were happy with P&S to begin with and they have been replaced by mobile cameras. It's always nice to have better camera especially on a device that will likely be within your hand's reach at all times. The best camera is the one that is with you, right? Just because mobile camera cannot and will not compete with dedicated camera, doesn't mean that we shouldn't expect/want improvement on them.

I do agree but the current camera is already very very good.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Samsung Electronics must be [insert bad word here] themselves right now. They just announced YOY sales and profit decline (3rd straight quarter of profit decline) and this is before Apple's larger screen Phone has even been announced. All that money they spent on marketing and yet they couldn't buy brand loyalty.

Can you imagine if that happened to Apple? Everyone would be like "They cracks have started to appear." Instead it's happening to one of their biggest competitors.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Ahh tell me about it. My 32GB 4S has been crawling with the lack of storage.

I haven't bought any Apple product in a long time (2012 1st-gen iPad Mini), so I guess it's fair enough to spend my money on the most badass iPhone ever. I'll get the largest capacity, with the largest screen size available. ;)

Anybody knowing Apple, would know that within 3 years the top configuration of a product becomes the bottom one.
(A little longer for the iphone I guess)

So, 32G will be the new starting point, 64 and 128 etc.

Adam-Jobs

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
I can't wait. I really hope they release the 5.5" at the same time. Should be good news for aapl as well. :)

I believe I need to get some more shares.

I'm like you. I hope they do bring the 5.5" out. But realistically. Being Apple. Don't you think they'll drag it out? So a 4.7 inch for two years. THEN a 5.5? Or 5.5 next year even. I just don't think they're kind enough to bless us with two devices when they could just bring out one and sell out.

I really really hope the 5.5inch is real. But every leak has been an item of the 4.7 inch.

Fingers crossed.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Seriously, just go and buy a full frame digital camera (Canon 6D) if you actually care about your photos. Any upgrades to the iPhone camera will be minor (especially for noise levels in low light, and you will never be able to achieve narrow depth of field with a phone).
You are probably that type of person that would be content if apple would just cram last year specs into the new phone. Sorry but in this market things continue to get better not stay the same.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Anybody knowing Apple, would know that within 3 years the top configuration of a product becomes the bottom one.

I think they'll make this move this year.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm like you. I hope they do bring the 5.5" out. But realistically. Being Apple. Don't you think they'll drag it out? So a 4.7 inch for two years. THEN a 5.5? Or 5.5 next year even. I just don't think they're kind enough to bless us with two devices when they could just bring out one and sell out.

I really really hope the 5.5inch is real. But every leak has been an item of the 4.7 inch.

Fingers crossed.

But I'm sure Apple sees the writing on the wall - while I don't think the maturing of the market is why Samsung's sales are declining, I do think the industry as a whole is maturing. Can they afford to wait another 2+ years? That's an eternity in tech....

I think they release the 5.5" later in the year - say around December, perhaps at latest next March where the old iPad launch used to be. I think it's coming soon.

I'll be getting the 4.7" myself.....perhaps the 5.5" if the release is staggered.....though I have no idea why other than simply to have had all the different models :D

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Regarding the two sizes of possible iphones .... Samsung does this with their galaxy s and galaxy note phones. Apple doing two sizes and possibly having separate launch dates for them would be copying Samsung. Samsung launches their galaxy s line in the spring and galaxy note in the fall.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Regarding the two sizes of possible iphones .... Samsung does this with their galaxy s and galaxy note phones. Apple doing two sizes and possibly having separate launch dates for them would be copying Samsung. Samsung launches their galaxy s line in the spring and galaxy note in the fall.

Simple response to that, Samsung is stupid and releases way too many phones, Apple is nowhere near that realm.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK

However Apple have usage figures and know that 16gb is more than enough for some users so no need to drop it. I'd much prefer a starting capacity of 32gb as it means my phone will be cheaper - but I can still see a place for 16,32,64 and 128 - Apple may even skip 32 and go from 16 to 64.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.