Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I guess there'll be an iPhone only event mid September with the new 4.7'' model and another event in October for the iPad, the iWatch and maybe some revamped Macs and Apple TV.
No iPhone 5.5 till 2015 in my opinion.

Yea I feel bad for people like my parents who have the tiny 3.5 inch iphone, how are you supposed to see anything on a screen that small. :mad:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
"One more thing" was Steve's thing... and it hasn't been used since before he passed away.

I think enough time has passed that Tim could actually pull off Steve's "one more thing..." bit. Could be a very classy nod to his predecessor. Can you imagine the roar of approval form the crowd? I think there would be a full 60-seconds of applause. Maybe a standing O. I can already see the respectful grin stretched across Tim's face. But once the faithful finally calmed down, said "one more thing" better deliver. ;)

Regardless, I'd like to see Tim use that line. I think somewhere, Steve would be grinning. As would those not so far up the ridiculous "Tim's not Steve" tree, would too. Clearly, Tim seems to be patiently and intentionally establishing his own Apple. All with the careful, calculated respect you hope would come form the guy that followed The Guy. No small task. Stay the course, Tim. #support

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
These rumors are originating from 1 Infinite Loop. Apple is letting us know that the 5.5 inch phones are to be released in 2015 and not set such high expectations.

They want you to buy the 4.7 inch phone, then trade up to the 5 inch one in Mar/Apr 2015. Just set your budget accordingly.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I almost feel like Apple needs to mention the 5.5" either way. Either announce that it is real and is coming soon but isn't ready or announce that while it might come at some time it won't be coming this cycle. If they simply don't make any mention of it many potential 4.7" buyers will hold off waiting for an upcoming (which might not come) 5.5" model in a couple of months.

The best way to maximize the number of iPhone 6 (released between 9/14-9/15) buyers is to let people know upfront what the plans are for the iPhone 6.

Tallgrass

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Honestly, if the 5.5 is really "real" and Apple does not announce it with the 4.7" version, than don't bother holding off for it because you will wait at least a year.

I suspect that Apple will release it along with the iPhone 6S next year and call it iPhone 6A. I highly doubt Apple will screw it's customers over after 2-3 months and release a 5.5" iPhone without at least announcing them simultaneously together.

I agree.

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Frustrating

So this article says, "Apple is reportedly planning to focus on only iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 in this year's September event" and the article before says, "Eddy Cue also enthusiastically noted that Apple's planned products for 2014 are "the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple."

Well, if all we're getting this year are new iPhones, iPads, and Macs, that's quite a huge let down. No new AppleTV (which is seriously overdue for a refresh!), no iWatch, no other surprises. Apple is getting boring and predictable.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I'm really hoping that a 5.5" iPhone is released, because I'm pretty interested in it. But I would need to try it out in person to be sure that I would want that thing in my pocket, maybe I would like the 4.7" one more!

Lektor

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Deutschland
5.5 inch looks like an iPad Mini with phone functionality

Looking again on this picture the 5.5 inch model looks like a smaller iPad Mini with phone functionality. For me its definitely too large and it would not fit for daily phone use... the 4.7 inch seems to meet my demands for a greater screen and is still handy enough for daily use

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I just don't see a >5" iPhone coming. That is just so not Apple. At least, it would be so contradictory on one thing, how would they explain the deep-minded one hand usage.

How did they deal with these stances: http://www.techlicious.com/blog/5-big-flip-flops-from-apple/

The whole one-handed use thing is just a bullet in a list of bullets that support whatever Apple wants someone to buy. They drop that bullet and slug in 2 others and never mention one-handed use again.

redgular

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Inconsistent line size from Scaling

open

It just doesn't seem right. I would think that apple would design the Antenna lines to be the same and Not thicker as the phone gets bigger.
I think this is a result of a scaling the mockup and and not keeping the line size the same.

What do you think?

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Production Leaks

So my question is where are all of the "legit" production photo leaks of the iPhone 6? If Apple is upping their order quantities this year to 60-80 million units for launch, by now the manufacturing prcess should be well underway.

In year's past, we've always seen the blurry legit photo leaks direct from Foxconn & Pegatron's production lines... This year all we've seen is digitally printed or rough machined mockups based on the "leaked" spec from last March.

Until I see the manufacturing pics, and not stupid mockups, I'm still holding out hope that Tim might actually have a couple of surprises planned for the September keynote. ;)

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Hmmm, those mock-ups in the picture don't look to be up to Apple's usual quality standards. I think this is the point where I'm supposed to be outraged, and threaten never to buy Apple products again if the actual product is as cheesy as the mockups. Which by this point, I've talked myself into believing it will be. At least, I think this is how its supposed to go.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
It is impossible to lick your elbow.

That's absolutely not true. I could lick his elbow, if I wanted to.

----------

So this article says, "Apple is reportedly planning to focus on only iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 in this year's September event" and the article before says, "Eddy Cue also enthusiastically noted that Apple's planned products for 2014 are "the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple."

Well, if all we're getting this year are new iPhones, iPads, and Macs, that's quite a huge let down. No new AppleTV (which is seriously overdue for a refresh!), no iWatch, no other surprises. Apple is getting boring and predictable.

Where did you get the idea there will be no iWatch this year?:confused:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I just don't see a >5" iPhone coming.

That is just so not Apple.

At least, it would be so contradictory on one thing, how would they explain the deep-minded one hand usage.

Don't worry if the iPhone 5.5" comes out there will be a new Jonathan Ive video and he will describe how the larger screen allows the device to become a magical extension of technology that no one has ever imagined until now. Most consumers will forget all about a "one-handed" phone once Jonathan mesmerizes them with his words.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Unless 5.5" version is never true, no way that Apple will announce it after 4.7" vetsion. They must release at the same time but limitted availability for 5.5".

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
So, do you all figure the next likely time for iMac announcements is with Yosemite? I want a new iMac to replace my aging one, but the red herring of the low-priced one combined with Broadwell delays has me disheartened.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
To this no 5.5" stance, I doubt it. I think Apple has learned it's lesson (per info revealed in the Samsung trial). If I'm them, that lesson I've learned is that more than one choice is good for business and that we've clung to <= 4" for too long, basically giving competitors like Samsung the bigger-screen phone market. Thus, I do roll out bigger screenS (plural) to mitigate that competitive advantage. Those who have left iOS because of screen size can now come back. Those about to buy for the first time who want a bigger screen will have choices (that's plural too) from Apple instead of 1 choice.

To this 4.7" in the Fall, 5.5" in the Spring concept, do we not remember when the Verizon model of iPhone rolled out mid-cycle. I seem to recall it had something else beyond just a Verizon radio. And while I can't remember what that something else was (which shows how important it was to me), I do remember the uproar as the "I must have the latest & greatest" crowd churned over feeling the press to "upgrade" so soon after buying the (formerly) latest iPhone. How about iPad 3 to 4 being about 6 months apart? Remember the whining in that one?

To this 4.7" in the Fall, 5.5" next year because Apple always holds something back, since so many are down on the 5.5" and the history of this "holding back" is typically one about holding back a desirable feature to motivate more sales, it seems like the less popular 5.5" would be the one to launch this year and hold back the 4.7" for next. That would be more like how Apple does this hold back thing.

Personally, I'm not even interested in the 4.7" but very interested in the 5.5". No 5.5", no purchase here. However, unlike so many that seem to almost wish away the 5.5", I don't wish away the 4.7".

From a consumer point of view, I hope Apple rolls out 5.5" , 4.7" AND 4" so that everyone who covets any size can get exactly the one they want. Those who desperately need 1-handed use or those who won't be upgrading their pants to the new kind with bigger pockets should not be left out.

From a Apple-the-business point of view, I hope Apple rolls out 5.5", 4.7" and 4" so that they nullify the most tangible reason to buy competitor phones and can draw many Android users back. Fill the holes and not leave much of anything to the competition. Launch only the 4.7" and it still leaves >4.7" phones to others. 4.7" will soak up those who want a little bigger than 4" to those who think 5" or so is about the max size for them. 5.5" will soak up those who want a little bigger than 5" to those who are the market for the 6" or so sizes. Apple can attract just about everyone on the fence if they fill both holes. Why leave >4.7" to the likes of Samsung, etc for the next year or more?

From a shareholder point of view, more sales are good for share prices. Holding back a desirable product is delaying sales they could book this year. If the 4.7" crowd sees 5.5" as "too big" they don't "upgrade" to it next year anyway. No need holding the less desirable one back. Sell 'em both and let benefits like an A9, better camera, "thinner" :rolleyes:, and so on be the catalyst to sell upgrades in the Fall of 2015.

Last edited:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I just don't see a >5" iPhone coming.

That is just so not Apple.

At least, it would be so contradictory on one thing, how would they explain the deep-minded one hand usage.

Maybe this time around war veterans, polio victims and other amputees are not their target market and they choose to go for people with two working hands?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.