Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Rock bottom iPhone?

In 2015; will they update the polycarbonate case with a 4" and/or 4.7" model that has the 8GB of storage and an A7 SoC? Or will Apple do away with the polycarbonate altogether and just reduce the 5S to 8GB of storage and call it the starter entry iPhone with two colors - space gray and white. No gold because the represents luxury!

Apple might leave the 5C for another year too which would be the same as this years 4S!

People who buy the rock bottom iPhone (5C) still expect to have three years of updates/service with still have reasonable performance with the future Apple Apps. $450 is still a good chunk of money for a new phone! So if a person brought the iPhone 5C 8GB today which is brand new iPhone to him/her. 2014 + 3 or 2017! And these are the people who are either very in need and money means a lot to them too or they are children having their first phone! So either way; Apple has to make sure they get their monies worth out of the iPhone!

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
And you want to have to juggle your phone around in your hand just so you can use it? I want a phone I can use without unnecessarily risking a drop because I'm fumbling around trying to reach something on the screen.

Mostly I find I use two hands, have done for a while even before the 6 and 6 +

The only time I really truly text'd one handed was back on hard keypad phones and because I use two hands to text etc the small screen being touch based was a hinderance. Sure its ok one handed but two handed it hinders operation.

Now with the 6 I've found the times I want to use one handed are for me pretty anti social times so I stopped using it in those times.

Ok yes I could see having a small iPhone 4 size iPhone again for me if my lifestyle changes (but not in the way you or others post about) but at this time in my life the bigger screen is useful and apple tech overall is not where I want it to be to make the smaller iPhone 4 size fit to the lifestyle I want.

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
My wife is an Apple fanatic and is still pissed at Apple for not upgrading the 4S with the same features as the 5. She still uses the 4S, but I see her picking up my iP6 and playing with it when I'm not looking.

I remember reading a thread about this where a lot of people said they would not upgrade if Apple made a bigger screen phone, when the bigger screen iPhone was released, I'm sure most of those people now have all justified in there own way it was a good idea for Apple to make a bigger screen and upgraded to the new iPhone.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The 6 plus is very useable, it just takes a few days to adjust! A 4 inch screen looks absolutely tiny now! You can always wait for the Watch!

As an app developer myself, I am more conscious about my app design now that I have my iPhone 6 and testing my own app. Here are my experiences so far.

First, I love my iP6. I read a lot of technical docs on my phone (tried the 6+ but didn't want to carry a man purse so skipped it) and the increased size make a significant different to the reading experience. I am not going back to the 4" screen any time soon.

As for "getting used to it," it's more like getting used to the fact that your hand is not going grow bigger, and that certain thing that is awkward when you first started using a iP6 is still awkward, but perhaps you come to accept it and move on because you like the trade off. Yes, your hand may gain a bit of dexterity with time, but for me being a very dexterous person, there is no change for me.

I am rewriting my app to make it more one hand friendly by incorporating more gestures and minimizing the need to interact with the hard to reach corners.

Last edited:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
and i was in a jam packed bus last night going home and i saw this young petite lady (about 5-5'2") standing and she was holding a big phone bigger than an iphone 6+ (how did i know it's bigger - she was standing next to a lady who has an iphone 6+) and she was doing a one handed texting. wow, if she can do it, i guess i can too. i was really so surprised as she's texting so fast as if she's holding a 4" screen iphone.

..... for those who want the 4 inch screen iphones. grab them while you can as by next year they will stop making the 5C and 5S.....

fotomarc

macrumors regular
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
It's interesting when I pickup my girlfriends iPhone 4s, I find it very difficult to hold, type and read! It was only a couple of years back when it was the opposite! The 6 plus is easy to hold and feels tight in my hand.

Reactions: bushido

Ibaorus

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
I have an iPhone 6, and I get used to its size after a while.

Anyway, I honestly think 4.5 or 4.7 is the perfect size for normal iPhone (not the phablet version).

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Sorry. That ship done sailed. You want to blame someone? Blame Samsung, HTC, LG, etc for making huge phones the standard.

Actually, that's one thing I don't blame Samsung and the rest. Its a media consumption device, a pocket PC and it makes sense to have a reasonably large screen. Understandably it won't suit all people, however I get the feeling the vast majority is fine with that.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
once u turn big u never go back.

at first i thought my iPhone 6 was big, tried using my iPhone 5 for a full day a few days ago and it drove me insane. i kept hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard and had to keep zooming in on websites. i also got cramps in my fingers while holding it due to its tamagochi size :D

i could actually go a bit bigger now since i got used to 4.7

edit: omg just saw the dates of this thread but i wasnt the first so :p

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
once u turn big u never go back. at first i thought my iPhone 6 was big, tried using my iPhone 5 a full day a few days ago and it drove me insane. i kept hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard and had to keep zooming in on websites. i also got cramps in my fingers while holdibg it due to its tamagochi size :D i could actually go a bit bigger now since i got used to 4.7
For some maybe, I'll still go back to a 4" or smaller screen if I get the chance.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
This thread is funny. I can't wait to trade in my 6s Plus for an SE or whatever they end up calling it.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
once u turn big u never go back.

at first i thought my iPhone 6 was big, tried using my iPhone 5 for a full day a few days ago and it drove me insane. i kept hitting the wrong letters on the keyboard and had to keep zooming in on websites. i also got cramps in my fingers while holding it due to its tamagochi size :D

i could actually go a bit bigger now since i got used to 4.7

edit: omg just saw the dates of this thread but i wasnt the first so :p

I recently got a brand new 5s for cheap as a spare found. At first i hit some wrong keys, but now its a dream compared to my 6. Cant use as a main because the 5s is only a 16 while my 6 is a 128gb. I mainly use the 5s as a ipod touch atm, keeping it around as a spare phone as well.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
My wife is an Apple fanatic and is still pissed at Apple for not upgrading the 4S with the same features as the 5. She still uses the 4S, but I see her picking up my iP6 and playing with it when I'm not looking.

I remember reading a thread about this where a lot of people said they would not upgrade if Apple made a bigger screen phone, when the bigger screen iPhone was released, I'm sure most of those people now have all justified in there own way it was a good idea for Apple to make a bigger screen and upgraded to the new iPhone.

I feel the same way about my 5S. The sad truth is that as much as we love our smaller phones, if Apple doesn't do anything, eventually we'll be forced to upgrade to new phone which will be bigger.
[doublepost=1457498374][/doublepost]Ok question...

Why are so many people obsessed with declaring what the perfect sized phone is? Or trying to find the one size that fits all.

I don't think there's a one size for everyone. Apple will have to offer a variety of sizes. There will be a small, medium and larger iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.