Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rolandinho

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
Innsbruck, Austria
I can't help, but introducing "a hybrid between the current MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models" does not sound like Apple. I think they are gonna merge the two categories, like they did with the MacBook and MacBook Pro a few years ago...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
We also predict Apple will roll out a fully new MacBook model in early 3Q12, boasting strong performance and easy carryability by combining the advantages of MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

Forward-looking strategy. This is the underpinning of Apple's success. Good to se it's still top-priority (at least according to this rumour.)

While adding new products, Apple is likely to stop making the 17" MacBook Pro this year due to falling shipments,

As good a reason as any (at least according to this rumour.) Trim the dead-weight.

in order to maintain a lean product line strategy.

Smart. See first paragraph.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Makes me sad

My 17" MBP has lasted me over 5 years and I've been contemplating its replacement as of the next revision but this news has me thinking I need to speed that decision up. As a software dev who often works at random locations both around my client's office as well as Starbucks or the like, the external monitor or desktop machine doesn't really help me.

I picked the 17 because of the real estate it affords me to have My IDE (IntelliJ) as well as a browser and iTerm all in view. I also used to do a lot of Final Cut Pro work on it and you can never have enough screen for that.

The bulk of the machine is not such a big deal except on airplanes, where it really does suck in coach; otherwise it's fine for me.

Also, I do use that expresscard slot for a speedy compact flash reader (my DSLR doesn't do SD) and am about to add an ESATA card to more quickly back it up. Thunderbolt makes that slot a little less nessesary, I suppose, as you can get a Thunderbolt to ExpressCard adapter already and I'd bet ESATA, CF card readers and USB 3.0 adapters are probably in the works. (they'll cost a lot I'm sure, though)

Pomares

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Bull...

This guy has no idea what he is talking about. The Macbook Pro line is the flagship line of professional products. You cannot have the best laptops in the world and not have a 17" option.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
What a bummer. The 17" is so perfect for photographers, art directors, editors etc.

I know everyone trumpets the 15", but they just aren't the same.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
So this pretty much ends Apple's dominance in the music industry. I was at a Shpongle show this weekend and saw at least 3 artists use a 17" MBP running Ableton for live production, as well as a person using a 17" MBP for psychedelic video effect generation. Seems like for live performers, DJs, producers and anyone else in to electronic music, the 17" is industry standard.

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
So the economy is strong enough to support all the people who are paying at least $700 more for a 17-inch than a 15-inch.

....like the 15'' buyers who pay roughly the same amount more than the 13'' buyers?

what has the economy got to do with it anyway?

BTW: if you compare properly, you will notice that it is not that much of a price difference with equal specs. In Europe, it's about 350 Euros difference.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Sometimes, I wonder why Apple doesn't just merge the two lines? That would make the laptop line a whole lot simpler. As many people have stated, Apple is going more for the consumer rather than the pro market. Many of the things you'd lose on the pro like optical drive and firewire, you can make up with external devices and adaptors. Sure, I don't like that, but it's smart business sense.

One question though: when will Apple release new MBPs anyways? Just wonder if it'll be before or after Mountain Lion's release. I doubt it'll happen, but it would seem a little silly to ship them now and then have ML ship in June. But then again, that would also mean that Apple could just get more money from those people.

On a tangent issue, if Apple gets rid of the optical drive in MBPs, when will Apple get rid of the drive on iMacs? MBAs and the Mac Mini lost their drives years ago.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Because we like having to ability to burn CD's without having to buy an external drive. We have an all-in-one. ;)

And/or we DO want 8 GB of RAM. The sole reason I haven't purchased an Air yet. 4gb is simply insufficient if you frequently run Parallels.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Dual monitor setup - something to consider

Speaking as a professional developer, in the workplace I think the screen size of the MBP at 13" is fine so long as I can hook up a full sized external monitor as part of dual monitor setup. Source code in the MBP screen, browser/visuals on the larger external screen, for example. When I travel, the smaller size of the 13" is much more convenient anyway.

External monitors and DVI/adapters are inexpensive and commonplace these days for easy dual setup for some developers. That's why I opted not to get the 17" at the time for my developer platform and I suspect others might have opted the same.

-jim

rix

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
We forecast Apple will sell 5.32mn units of the Mac series (up 28.5% QoQ and 35.2% YoY) in 2Q12, making it the main growth driver.

We also predict Apple will roll out a fully new MacBook model in early 3Q12, boasting strong performance and easy carryability by combining the advantages of MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

what does that suppose to mean? Two kinds of products coming out in 2Q and 3Q respectively?

carboncow

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
We'll maybe sales wouldn't be so poor if they didn't charge 600-800 more for 2" of screen and an express card slot!

I really needed the 2" but the boss said know, I was already pushing it with a decked out 15"

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
You wont see that big difference compareing a retina 15' with a actual 17' am sure;)

Maybe for some people. I'm slightly nearsighted, with moderate astigmatism, and have to wear glasses to use the computer. I have a hi-res 15" right now, and already have to enlarge font sizes and squint a bit to read clearly in a way I don't when using an external 20" monitor with the same resolution. More pixels in the same space don't help much if you can't see anything smaller.

But imagine the beauty of a 17" retina display!

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
It should come as no surprise that the 17" MBP is the worst-selling of Apple's laptops. It costs US$ 2,499, 300 dollars more than the high-end 15" MBP which has the same specs (except for the screen). It also costs more than double the price of a 13" MBP. Of course it doesn't sell a lot of units.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Apple has been accelerating its failure rate of customer demanded product deliveries. Perhaps the market will also decrease the forgiveness factor and will move to alternative solutions to a degree where the golden boy will have to work just a bit harder and put its arrogance aside. Personally I never used the 17 inch, but assuming the 50,000 is a correct number, even with lower predicted quantities any reputable company should pay attention and supply despite lower earnings. If true, it is another boring move by Apple.

slnko-v-sieti

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Funny, doesn't it seem that incorporating an Air design sensibility into a 17" MBP would make it more attractive to consumers? Huge screen, and suddenly infinitely more portable. (As a 17" MBP owner I have to say it would be a shame to see it retired. All my friends are jealous of that beast.)

The only thing I can think is that there is an engineering problem: the weight of the 17" screen necessitates a heavy base to keep the machine upright. (C.f. all the rumors saying the 15" thinner redesign was delayed because of hinge problems resulting from the weight of the 15" screen.)

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
I don't see why they can't combine the 15-inch MacBook Pro and the 17-inch MacBook Pro into a single Mac, so that people who want either can get the best of both worlds.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
This guy has no idea what he is talking about. The Macbook Pro line is the flagship line of professional products. You cannot have the best laptops in the world and not have a 17" option.

You can if nobody has been buying it. Look a the sales figures quoted in the article. Nobody is buying the 17" model.

After buying the 13" Air my old 15" Pro looks and feels like an albatross. I can't see myself ever going back to a Pro model unless they lose a lot of weight. If they merge lines I just hope they make them as thin as the Air or else they're just going to look like a rip off of the new slim PC laptops, which really aren't that slim.

akaralias

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
I hope Apple won't do this mistakes...

A lot of rumors go around lately about how Apple could practically ditch its High end Pro line!
Now let's take a look at the Applications that exist and will come out and see if this is the right move.
Adobe CS6, Final Cut, Logic, Autocad etc.
Most of them gone or soon to be 64 bit (more multithreaded, capable of reading more RAM etc.)
I do not think Apple will make the mistake to exit the Pro market and although The Mac Pro tower might be able to be replaced by a modular system (something like 2 or 3 minis in grid, chained with one or two thunderbolt extension boxes with more ram and graphic cards), the 17" Macbook Pro that is used from photographers and film makers on the field cannot go anywhere!

The whole idea is suicidal!
I believe they will not go that way!

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Shame

I think if you need a 17" screen then a higher resolution smaller screen doesn't always work - it has to be 17"

If Apple were to discontinue the 17" MPB, or at least not offer a 17" model of some kind, it would encourage those in what small market their is for a 17" laptop to look elsewhere. This means they would also look else ware for applications, etc, etc and before you know it Apple will be loosing out on sales of 13" laptops too because these organisations have had to go elsewhere for their high-end laptops and applications.

I think discontinuing the 17" MBP would be a mistake as these customers don't just buy a laptop.

slnko-v-sieti

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Apple has been accelerating its failure rate of customer demanded product deliveries. Perhaps the market will also decrease the forgiveness factor and will move to alternative solutions to a degree where the golden boy will have to work just a bit harder and put its arrogance aside.[...]
I think the 11" Macbook Air and the rumored smaller iPad might be a response to consumer wants/desires, yeah?

Based on how long Apple has offered the classic iPod I'd say they have a pretty good track record for not screwing over enthusiasts who love legacy products. I'd be surprised to see the 17" MBP make its exit upon the next refresh.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Any time a company like Apple removes a product, people will be upset. If they aren't selling very well then I'm not at all surprised to hear of them removing it. I would imagine that most people could still be satisfied with the 15", even if it doesn't have everything that the 17" does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.