Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Regarding the rumors for a 12" Retina MBA...

I'm all for retina standards as long as they don't decrease the actual screen real state of the current 13" MBA (1440x900).

If all they do is to take the current 11" MBA (1366x768) and double it to transform it into Retina, then I'm staying with my current 13" MBA. I value desktop real state over ultra-crispy resolution finess because, due to work, I require multiple applications loaded up at the same time.

This is just the same reason as of why I bought the 13" MBA over the 13" rMBP: the rMBP might be crispier but it fits less amount of stuff on the screen.

On retina macs there is a scaling option that will allow you to have more screen estate. It makes the ui elements proportionally smaller but they still appear crispier than on a non retina display of course.

boazjoe

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
size and battery life

Personally, I would rather it stay the same size and use the added space for battery capacity. I work 13-15 hour days and having to carry around the adapter partially spoils the utility of the small form factor. Even if it is a 12 hour battery new, it is not long before it is 11...10...9....... hour battery.

Just my 0.02 worth. Thanks for letting vent. I feel better now. :)

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Random nitpicks:

Never liked the aluminum bezel around the MacBook Air screen. Maybe Apple can switch to a black glass bezel like the MacBook Pro (and all other Apple computer screens.)

Getting tired of plastic keys. I'd like glass keys, and I'd like the fit and finish to be improved so the backlighting doesn't leak around the edges.

And maybe it's time to drop the "Air" and call the low-end laptop line "MacBook."

May sarcasm fu is not strong today but you are kidding, right?

Glass keys? Why? Would be cool I guess bit would add weight and expense.

For and finish to improve light leaking??? Uhhhh...that is not a fit and finish issue. That is the way it is designed.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Personally, I would rather it stay the same size and use the added space for battery capacity. I work 13-15 hour days and having to carry around the adapter partially spoils the utility of the small form factor. Even if it is a 12 hour battery new, it is not long before it is 11...10...9....... hour battery.

Just my 0.02 worth. Thanks for letting vent. I feel better now. :)

Agreed. The Air is thin enough. I'd go for the extra battery power, too.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
The people who are posting angry comments on here: i hope you all realize that these are just rumors and not solid words from Apple. So yeah. Calm down. Ha ha.:D

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
The people who are posting angry comments on here: i hope you all realize that these are just rumors and not solid words from Apple. So yeah. Calm down. Ha ha.:D

Of course. It's not like this site is called macrumors or anything.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'd expect them to go to 10, 12, 15 and 17.
I woudl really like a 17" RMBP. But I think only myself and a few other video/engineer types are really eager to see that.

Yeah, it's not the typical hipster machine for a quick mail check in Starbucks .... :) This is why it didn't sell very well.

Nevertheless, Apple should know that the hardcore pros used to prefer 17" to anything lesser because, among other things, the screen estate & resolution the 15" could not come close to. They're alienating them and not just some noname hipsters showing up with their shiny Airs.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, it's not the typical hipster machine for a quick mail check in Starbucks .... :) This is why it didn't sell very well.

Nevertheless, Apple should know that the hardcore pros used to prefer 17" to anything lesser because, among other things, the screen estate & resolution the 15" could not come close to. They're alienating them and not just some noname hipsters showing up with their shiny Airs.

Harsh critique. Airs are brilliant.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Harsh critique. Airs are brilliant.

... just not sufficient for pro work - e.g., Xcode. Their screen estate is just insufficient... 1920*1200 to 1440*900 / 1366*768 ? Come on... and I haven't even mentioned the 17" is a dual-spin device (I have a 256 Vertex 4 + 1 TB 9mm HDD combo in mine.)

I know the Airs highly portable. Nevertheless, I prefer screen estate and power - and that's what current Airs just can't provide.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
... just not sufficient for pro work - e.g., Xcode. Their screen estate is just insufficient... 1920*1200 to 1440*900 / 1366*768 ? Come on... and I haven't even mentioned the 17" is a dual-spin device (I have a 256 Vertex 4 + 1 TB 9mm HDD combo in mine.)

I know the Airs highly portable. Nevertheless, I prefer screen estate and power - and that's what current Airs just can't provide.

The inference that Airs can't do "Pro" work is such utter BS. Perfectly fine if you work at a desk with an external monitor. Almost no one I know in any creative field works without a desktop monitor. I've got a 15" retina and an 11" Air. If there's a monitor wherever I'm going, more often than not, I'll take the Air.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
The inference that Airs can't do "Pro" work is such utter BS. Perfectly fine if you work at a desk with an external monitor. Almost no one I know in any creative field works without a desktop monitor. I've got a 15" retina and an 11" Air. If there's a monitor wherever I'm going, more often than not, I'll take the Air.

Well, I use the internal monitor most of the time. At places (for example, my summer cottage) I don't have external power at all and, therefore, need an internal screen. And 1920*1200 at 17" is already pretty high for proper coding in Xcode, making it unnecessary to switch to an external monitor at work.

MindJuice

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Can you see the craziness? I'm not saying the 12" isn't true, but I'd put money on it that they won't be the exact same line. If the 12" is true, I'd guess that the 13" is going away. Who know's, maybe it's a consolidation. Or maybe he's got his sizes mixed up and the 12" is actually for an iPad. Maybe the air will be consolidated to a single size... I have no freak'n idea and neither does he but anyone with half a brain can realize that a only a 1" decrease in Apple's book does not justify a new product, it's just too confusing (for what apple has had for product lines). Now if it was any other oem, heck yeah... look at asus. 11,11.5,12,12.25 SE,13.3,14.2,15.1,15.8.... You get the idea

Yes, that would indeed be crazy.

My expectation is that this new product will be a single Mac Book Air replacement at 12". That will leave Mac Book Pro Retinas at 13" and 15". I'm also expecting that they will do away with the non-retina MBPs in the next MBP update. The goal is to retinafy the entire product line.

iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and MBP are already retina. Next week, iPad mini and hopefully the 27" Thunderbolt display will be retina. That leaves the Mac Book Air and the iMacs. If this 12" rumor is true, then only the iMacs will remain. I expect that Apple will release retina versions of the iMac soon too, especially the 27" if the 27" Thunderbolt becomes reality.

At least that's what I would do if I were in charge at Apple.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Are Apple's loosing jts grip on what custumers want ?

In much the same way as samsung, Asus, other manufactures have cheap laptops, at 13-inch, but topping out at super to "over-the-top" resolutions.

While its good to see photo, and movies, but not much else, unless you have good eyeseight, isn't Apple doing the same with this 12-inch??

Is Apple basically going the way of Samsung, making any resultion screen, even if it doesn't make sense for that screen size, just to make more money.??

I always thought this is what actually seperated Apple from the others. "They know what people want, and makes sense to design displays and resultion to display"

On the Macbook Pro Retina, it makes sense at 2880 because its 15-inch, and a ipad 3rd and 4th generations, because their closer to your face.,

Has apple moving towards a "We'll make any screen size, any resolution"?

Last edited:

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
my Prediction

What I want to see is a 12" clamshell design but without a physical keyboard. Both sides of the clamshell will have displays. The top screen will snap on and off. With the top screen snapped off, the bottom becomes the full OS X tablet everyone has been looking for. With the screen snapped on, the bottom display is a keyboard and the top the main display. Oh, did I mention that the top display is also a full IOS device that syncs your documents and can be taken away as a thinner lighter 12" IOS tablet as well? Follows with the 12" iPad rumors.
Yup, that would be awesome. Tablet and computer in one package.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Are Apple's loosing jts grip on what custumers want ?

In much the same way as samsung, Asus, other manufactures have cheap laptops, at 13-inch, but topping out at super to "over-the-top" resolutions.

While its good to see photo, and movies, but not much else, unless you have good eyeseight, isn't Apple doing the same with this 12-inch??

Is Apple basically going the way of Samsung, making any resultion screen, even if it doesn't make sense for that screen size, just to make more money.??

I always thought this is what actually seperated Apple from the others. "They know what people want, and makes sense to design displays and resultion to display"

On the Macbook Pro Retina, it makes sense at 2880 because its 15-inch, and a ipad 3rd and 4th generations, because their closer to your face.,

Has apple moving towards a "We'll make any screen size, any resolution"?

This post makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
On retina macs there is a scaling option that will allow you to have more screen estate.

The software-based scaling feature for Retina Macs is not 100% flawless. You can still see that it's not a native resolution so it becomes uncomfortable to work with in the long run.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
sayonara Macbook Air. If the new MBP is thinner than the MBA then the MBA will be the 'Macbook Solid' or the 'Macbook Thick'.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The software-based scaling feature for Retina Macs is not 100% flawless. You can still see that it's not a native resolution so it becomes uncomfortable to work with in the long run.

^^ Falsehood perpetuated by people who have never used the Retina MBP for any length of time.

Scaled resolutions on the rMBP look better than the native res on the Air. It's not at all uncomfortable to use for extended periods unless your eyesight is poor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.