Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Yeah, because $229 and $599 are the same. :rolleyes:

Seems like a dubious rumor to me considering HDMI’s resolution and bandwidth limitations, not to mention additional licensing fee.

Apple hasn’t marketed the Mac mini as a HTPC since the Intel launch. They don’t even ship the little remote with it anymore, and Front Row hasn’t been updated in two and half years.

But, it is one of the reasons why people buy them, just because apple doesn't market it, doesn't mean people don't do it.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Dear God (AKA Steve Jobs)
Please let this mean that i can have Blu-Ray on my Mac's.

1- Macbook Pro with BD, HDMI output. so i can enjoy on a big screen while on the road, or do presentations on regular tv's with hdmi. (even backup to BD disc, cause when doing HD movies and lots of pics on road, i would love to have that ability
2- Mini- with BD and HD, could be great.
3- Mac Pro - where i can author to BD

I agree. As much as stuff is going onto the internet, I'd still like to back up my stuff on BluRay. I have enough music, movies & TV shows to probably take up 10 double layer BluRay disks, or 50 double layer DVDs.

Plus, if people already buy Macs which have something like 40% margins, a few dollars more for BluRay won't make a difference.

But eSATA isn't a hot-plug interface. eSATA drives must be on before the computer is and not turned off or unplugged until the computer is shut down.

Can you imagine all the complaints from people who suddenly can't see their data because the external drive became ready a millisecond too late? How about all the corrupted data from people turning off external drives while their Mac is sleeping?

Much as I'd like the low cost and high speed of eSATA, Apple can't afford to ship any interface that isn't foolproof.

If that's the case, Apple wouldn't release anything. Nothing is absolutely foolproof. I work in a middle school with about 800 students & staff & 300 computers. I've seen things dropped, yanked, shoved, etc. to smithereens. Plus, my philosophy is "Make something foolproof, and someone will make a better fool."

This is why I could never get on board with AppleTV. My computer/laptop should be able to cover this functionality... it just needs HDMI to connect easily.

If I had a computer dedicated as a home theater server or whatever, I'd agree with you. However, sometimes I like to use my MacBook Pro to surf the web or something while I watch my :apple:TV. If I had just my laptop, not being able to use it while watching TV would be a real downer.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I find it HIGHLY unlikely that HDMI will be added to macs this year

I have a Vizio 32" 120Hz LCD connected to my Mac Pro via DVI to HDMI Cable (About $9 for the cable, $519 for the TV at Costco) The resolution is incredible. And the size is just amazing. No ghosting, no banding, no stuttering... The best monitor I've ever had for a 4th of what an Apple 30" Display Costs and it has 3 HDMI inputs so I can connect my Canon 1D Mark IV and watch HD TV all at the same time. This is the future. True plug and play and a much better deal than any computer monitor in the market can offer. Monitors will die... Like CRT's did in place of LCD's.
One cable sends audio and video and hooks up to any TV with an HDMI input? The future, baby! :D

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
That would be perfect, HDMI on the mac mini, wow! I wish Apple would stop being too much like Steve and really include BD player as well. Yes I buy BD movies and have not had the need to use STD DVD format for over 2 years now.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Love my :apple:TV, but if this is true, I'll be selling it and picking one of these puppies up, along with a bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse. :D

What you just said makes zero sense. You love your AppleTV, but you are going to switch to a $600+ MacOS computer because of what exactly? Because you can save on $9 TOSlink cable to get digitial sound?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Limitations? :confused: You mean transporting Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA while Diplayport unable to do that? The licensing is only 4-5 cents per device, not sure if that would be show stopper. :)

HDMI has bandwidth limitations. Last time I looked, HDMI couldn’t drive the Apple 30” Cinema Display. Not sure if that has changed with additional specs (1.3, 1.4, etc).

And licensing, no matter the cost, is always a concern.

Also, you would only get those sound options if Apple built them in to the operating system (not likely) or a third-party viewer application added it. It’s not like either one of those are part of the HDMI spec.

And Apple’s not going to support Blu-ray anytime soon (or ever).

Apple finally realised that the Mini Display Port is a huge failure and that the only thing that you can plug into it is the "Mini Display Port to VGA adapter". I think it's about time they put HDMI into macs, although I think it's too late now...

die mini-display port. die.

You both realize the article mentions replacing the DVI port, not the mini-DisplayPort?

Not to mention, practically every major video card, PC and monitor manufacturer has signed up to support DisplayPort in the future.

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
A nice move....

...if it happens. I guess I am officially a "Tech Savvy Mac User" as the article refers to people like me that use a mac mini for all things media. Just add a NewerTech drive/port hub and a large LCD TV/Monitor and all your needs are met. I would like to have the audio capabilities of HDMI, but it really is no big deal. My adaptor does just fine for video. Really, why do people buy the Apple TV? Just a couple hundred more bucks and an EyeTV USB device and you are blowing the Apple TV out of the water with the addition of record-to-drive live HDTV and full OS X functionality. Come on Apple, merge the two products, add live recording capability and you own the market. All I can figure is that Apple has too many licensing contracts in the way of moving forward.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Back in the 80's, most computers didn't have monitors. They looked like big keyboards with a video out port to hook up to a TV.

Made me think of my TI99/4A that is down in the basement somewhere. Or the Commodore Vic 20 and then Commodore 64 my friend had.

s.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I have a Vizio 32" 120Hz LCD connected to my Mac Pro via DVI to HDMI Cable (About $9 for the cable, $519 for the TV at Costco) The resolution is incredible. And the size is just amazing. No ghosting, no banding, no stuttering... The best monitor I've ever had for a 4th of what an Apple 30" Display Costs and it has 3 HDMI inputs so I can connect my Canon 1D Mark IV and watch HD TV all at the same time. This is the future. True plug and play and a much better deal than any computer monitor in the market can offer. Monitors will die... Like CRT's did in place of LCD's.
One cable sends audio and video and hooks up to any TV with an HDMI input? The future, baby! :D

When TVs get to the same resolution as computer displays, I'd agree with you. I'd be interested in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision
16 times the resolution of 1080p and 22.2 surround sound. Just imagine how long it would take download a movie in that resolution!

HDMI 1.4 also carries 100 Mbps ethernet.

Really? That's pretty cool, though I would prefer at least gigabit ethernet. Not surprised, though. I bet eventually, we won't have cable / dish TV anymore; everything will come off the internet.

mrial

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Late 2008 MBP

I have a late 2008 MBP with the mini-display port. What I'm wondering if this port is physically wired to support sound ... I know the mini-display port specs are for audio, but did Apple implement this on this MBP so I can use only one cable for audio and video when this alleged cable comes out?

mini-display port to HDMI cable that is ...

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Just read through 4 pages of nonsense with people jumping up and down about HDMI or predicting Apple TV disappearing because of it.

Inclusion of HDMI on Macs is a non-event, people. There is NOTHING that HDMI-equipped Mac Mini will add functionally, that existing HDMI-less Macs can't do already. OK, you will save having to run a discrete TOSlink audio cable (a couple of bucks on Monoprice) to carry the same 5.1 sound.. wooppie!

The only real advantage could be support for native LPCM (TrueHD / DTS-HD) audio that HDMI 1.3 and above will offer. However, that won't be possible without full blown BluRay video decoding/processing support in MacOS.. Which will be coming.. oh about the time when the h3ll freezes over.

So again.. inclusion or non-inclusion of HDMI port by itself is a complete non-event.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
By adding this single HDMi port, Apple is going to be leading the industry with a revolutionary and superb-technologically-advanced super computer. :)

hegor

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
Its silly to proclaim the :apple:tv dead.

Not all of us have $499 to blow for every room, and even if we did, don't have the need to have a computer in every room.

That being said, it would be great if Macs got HDMI. Lower the :apple:tv to $149 and then everything would be great. You could get a Mac mini with a huge hard drive for the living room and stream the movies to your bedroom :apple:tv.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
HDMI has bandwidth limitations. Last time I looked, HDMI couldn’t drive the Apple 30” Cinema Display. Not sure if that has changed with additional specs (1.3, 1.4, etc).

I might not be able to drive the overpriced 30" Cinema Display but it can clearly drive my 32" LCD and auto-adjust its resolution to fit the screen without tweaking :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-01 at 2.07.28 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-01 at 2.07.28 PM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.