Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iMessages is awesome for me! That has sold me an iPad. I was wanting to get one or the other (iPhone, iPad) but with the ability to be able to do everything the iPhone can, but on a much bigger screen. SOLD! I will just have a feature phone to make calls on! Awesome! I know this is a weird thing to be happy about, but its awesome!

are u kidding me? "iMessages" sold u an iPad??? dude u were able to do exactly the same thing for 2 years now with something called "WhatsApp" which u can even use to text ppl with nokia, blackberry & android phones

... some ppl

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
Since i live on this lower plane of existence known as reality i was blown away by the WWDC keynote. So much for free. Ah well some morons will whine even now.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
For the first time in a long time I am completely underwhelmed by Apple's announcements. Sure they fixed notifications, but what about the crappy stock apps, no live icons for weather, missing voice navigation and no updated maps or youtube.

The only thing that sorta interests me is notifications.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
For the first time in a long time I am completely underwhelmed by Apple's announcements. Sure they fixed notifications, but what about the crappy stock apps, no live icons for weather, missing voice navigation and no updated maps or youtube.

Sounds like you want an Android phone.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I'm confused. Do you actually have a mycompany.com email address?

Ok, so, my company is too cheap (so far) to move from a POP3 server at a local ISP to a modern email system. So, I forward my company email account to a gmail account so that I benefit from the marvelous syncing features of IMAP. In the GMail web client, it allows me to "Send mail as..." another email address, such as me@mycompanydomain.com. This way the recipient has no clue (unless maybe they look at the headers) that I am sending from a gmail account, so it looks perfectly professional.

Currently I have to use the gmail web client on my iPhone / iPad to accomplish this. If I send from the built-in Mail app the recipient sees my gmail account address which I do not want them to see. I hope this new Mail app fixes this.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
No improvements to the mundane Youtube app on iphone/ipad, and none on the email app, not good.

yes there are improvements to the email app.

Just one question about Mail -- Will I finally be able to set a mail account to send from an address other then the address on the account? I use gmail for my work mail. Currently recipients see my address as me@gmail.com but I want them to instead see me@mycompany.com. This is not currently possible.

You can already do this now. I do it.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008

You will never be happy.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I really liked the announcements today. I was hoping for Maps to be updated though. Android's map, obviously, is much better and I was hoping that the new contract Apple signed included free navigation and some of the other features it has.

This is a small thing and may be updated in the 200+ part, but YouTube, not being able to sort by Views, for example, if frustrating.

I was also hoping for multiple signatures in Mail.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So now you can sync your iPhone wirelessly to your Mac! Only if you plug it into power. How the f is that wireless? It's the SAME THING as before!

My iPod Touch's battery lasts weeks, I don't want to have to charge it each time I want to sync! Can't it just sync when I add new stuff to my library?

Why does it have to be plugged in to power to sync? What's the point? Most people use USB to charge anyway, so it makes NO difference!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
totally random, did anyone notice that the iPhone they used in the Keynote had a "Music" icon instead of the "iPod" and yes it was an iPhone cuz they showed AT&T 3G

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
>iOS

Hory sheet we have android features!

>iCloud

Hory sheet we have amazon cloud storage and google music features!

>Lion

Hory sheet we have a repository!

:apple: always innovative :rolleyes:

Hopefully you're just joking...you're not actually comparing Amazon Cloud Storage to iCloud are you? Their system for having your music in the cloud is already archaic after today's announcements. The two don't even compare.

Day48

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
are u kidding me? "iMessages" sold u an iPad??? dude u were able to do exactly the same thing for 2 years now with something called "WhatsApp" which u can even use to text ppl with nokia, blackberry & android phones

... some ppl

Yeah, having to pick either iPad or iPhone...Yes, they sold me an iPad over an iPhone. Why pay for the data package twice (iPad and iPhone) when all I am missing out is for the actual talk minutes. Plus, that is free texting, which you pay $20 a month for!

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Agreed!

this update is HUGE - it fills in all of the android / BB gaps and adds quite a few features they don't have. 1 big thing no one is talking about is AirPlay Mirroring. this is the first step in turning the iphone/ipad into a wii/xbox replacement. depending on how much control they give the game developers this could be huge.

Especially with P2P games...watch out! Blizzard - hope you make a iOS version of Diablo III or the clones will steal some of you're customers.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
I'm a big fan of iMesssages - The BBM crowd can finally shut up and get on on the iTrain!

Also like the new notifications - looking forward to downloading it in the autumn.

So glad its going to work on my 3GS - I'm totally going to hold out until the next iPhone!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I guess since we all had a good idea of what to expect, most of us were relatively underwhelmed (which is different than being disappointed). My opinions:

iMessages: I'm not too familiar with BBM, so this doesn't this seem like such a big deal (until I use it it, I guess). I like the idea of being able to send messages over wi-fi though... And also via my iPad.

Notifications: Pretty much what I expected (how many other options are there?). Seems like it'll do.

My biggest gripes:
This relates to both iMessages and Notifications- There doesn't seem to exist any sort of quick reply option (or at least I didnt see it demoed). Im talking about BiteSMS stuff, a complete revolution for frequent texters. I'm wholeheartedly surprised we didn't see something similar.

I would have liked to see Maps turned into a free voice guided gps... But I guess MapQuest's app will do.

I was hoping they'd change up the layout a little... Not too sure what else could be done (aside from adding widgets), but I was just expecting something entirely new and innovative. Not that big of a deal though I guess.

And on a personal level, as an iPad owner... And in regards to how it's advertised; that is, filling the void between the phone and the computer... I was hoping for an iPad version of iOS 5 that would take the functionality of Lion infused with the simplicity and mobility of iOS. I love my iPad, I really do, but everything I can do on it, I can do on my iPhone 4.

Nevertheless, I'll be impatiently awaiting the next iPhone... As well as iOS 5... And moreso, the first iOS 5 jailbreak.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
So now you can sync your iPhone wirelessly to your Mac! Only if you plug it into power. How the f is that wireless? It's the SAME THING as before!

My iPod Touch's battery lasts weeks, I don't want to have to charge it each time I want to sync! Can't it just sync when I add new stuff to my library?

Why does it have to be plugged in to power to sync? What's the point? Most people use USB to charge anyway, so it makes NO difference!

It makes a difference if you only have a desktop and dont sleep next to it at night.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I just love how they announced all this stuff 4 months before it is actually avaliable.

This is a developer conference. Since devs have to write apps for the new OS (both iOS and OSX) they HAVE to make announcements months before they ship so that devs can develop on betas of the new OS.

Or would you prefer if they announced and shipped in the same day, and none of your apps were compatible?

Not at all. Before, I'd have to plug the iPad into the computer, now I can leave my computer downstairs and plug the iPad into a charger anywhere in the house. That's huge for me, I have a computer upstairs that potentially can go away now.

Sure, it would be good if it could sync at any time or be told to sync manually, but that's something they can add easily (assuming they're not planning to include the functionality already).

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Sounds like you want an Android phone.

Nope, not at all. I don't want a phone that last barely a day and having to rely on task managers.

You will never be happy.

That's funny because I have been happy about every update so far. In fact OSX Lion has now convinced me to get a MBP. However, there is so much more that could be done with IOS 5. With the lack of a new iPhone IOS5 had to be something very special. Apart from the cloud thing and notifications, it is a very sub par release.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
PC (and Mac) free is really nice and will allow more people to use it ...

from iCloud I'm a bit disappointed, 30 days only for sync is not what I wished ... but hey, somewhere else to look for ...

The 30 days only applies to the photo stream. Everything else is persistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.