Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
As I suspected, to allow more natural light in they not only removed the Apple logos, but pulled the first floor up stairs right back—thus the mention of reduced floor space. Way better.

I'd have gone further though and changed the windows to larger single piece windows and got rid of those "window-teeth" to make the whole thing more seamless and open. Would further feature the beautiful old building shape and air out the interior.

P.S. those double-doors look wide enough to drive a show-car in.

Last edited:

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I've not been into London for years, but isn't that the one that had the huge glass staircase directly in the middle of the ground floor? I always thought that looked great.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Srtlewis

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2016
Meh. Just wait till it is full of hundreds of people waiting to get shown how to use their iPhone / iwatch. Makes the whole experience hell for professional trying to say get thier ageing workhorse of a mac serviced. At this point apple can f--- off in my book

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Went into Birmingham UK one yesterday...moved from Bull Ring. Used to be a bank I think. Depressing beyond belief. Same old stuff. Nobody looking at the Watches as usual. Folks milling around aimlessly. But it was the absence of software packages that was the most obvious loss.

I've never been in an Apple Store for while so it was all the more apparent. Cold. Empty. Echoing. Soulless. The old place was a lot better.

Apart from that I really enjoyed myself. :)

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
It's a big, clean open space with muted colours and some tables in it - it really isn't a big deal architecturally or in terms of design. I like Apple stores for their simplicity and ability to focus on the products but this doesn't warrant any gush - it just looks like many higher-end hotel lobbies.

In fact it looks like any Apple store from the last 3 - 4 years. Oh, just like the hardware..........

Darryl.Jenks

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Self-absorbed
Meh. Just wait till it is full of hundreds of people waiting to get shown how to use their iPhone / iwatch. Makes the whole experience hell for professional trying to say get thier ageing workhorse of a mac serviced. At this point apple can f--- off in my book

What are you even talking about? The whole point of the IIc and IIe and Lisa and Macintosh was to bring us...WATCHES!!! Who in their right mind would want an Apple computer? :rolleyes:

Reactions: sunwukong

pentrix2

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
That looks awesome. We have a location in a local mall that is WAY to small. They are now taking 3 stores and making a newer bigger one. I hope it looks this nice.
why? the design is ugly. donald duck can make a better design than this mess

Nefilim

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
My main issue with any of the Apple stores that I've been to, is the high level of background noise which makes any conversation with staff/geniuses somewhat challenging at times.
I like the look of the mall stores although a major redesign will be inevitable.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
This is quite nice, and an improvement on their last effort there. The giant staircase was quite cool, but it was the immediate focal point upon entering the store, and it was severe and unwelcoming compared to trees and a focus on the product itself. Also, removing the Apple logos from the windows makes the space seem more open and draws the viewer toward the building's beautiful arches. I still don't enjoy spending time at Apple stores, but it will be more pleasant to do so here than it was before.

Kognito

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011

"For the first time some of the products, iPhones and iPads, will be "untethered" - allowing customers to pick them up and walk around the store"

Seems like that could end well. I'm sure the demo devices are absolutely useless if stolen, though I doubt it would deter London's less reputable citizens from walking off with a pocket full of iPhone and flogging them online.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I've not been into London for years, but isn't that the one that had the huge glass staircase directly in the middle of the ground floor? I always thought that looked great.

Yes, modeled on the old Chicago flagship store. It was an interesting feature but imposing and incongruous with the building's existing architecture. This appears much better.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
That's nice. What would be nicer if they had products other than the iPhone and Watch that had been refreshed within the last year.
Pretty new stores selling outdated products. Yippee

You forgot the iPad Pros, Apple TV and Retina MacBook.

Also a Mac event rumoured for the end of this month - so hopefully it will be a shiny new Mac lineup pretty soon.

There's a big launch event there on October 22nd for anyone who's in London. Live artists working on iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and live music, too.

Will be good to see live demos by skillful users. Some of the stuff you see people doing with the iPad Pro and Pencil is amazing.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Wow, Apple really know what they're doing don't they? I mean...who else has stores which even remotely look like this? Apple is totally sure of itself as a brand and as a design concept.

There's a big launch event there on October 22nd for anyone who's in London. Live artists working on iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and live music, too.
[doublepost=1476366699][/doublepost]

There's live music and artists on October 22nd for the 'grand' opening. At least that's what an email I got said.

They developed a great brand because of great products, now not so much. Unfortunately for Apple brand does not mean anything when the products are so far behind (not including the iPhone) and the Apple ecosystem sucks.

Reactions: sunwukong

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Went into Birmingham UK one yesterday...moved from Bull Ring. Used to be a bank I think. Depressing beyond belief. Same old stuff. Nobody looking at the Watches as usual. Folks milling around aimlessly. But it was the absence of software packages that was the most obvious loss.

I've never been in an Apple Store for while so it was all the more apparent. Cold. Empty. Echoing. Soulless. The old place was a lot better.

Apart from that I really enjoyed myself. :)

That store in Birmingham likely shuttering to make room for Apple's new 20,000sq feet store in the grade II listed building, formerly Waterstones book store. Also software is not in boxes anymore it's all online on in the various App Stores. The stores are for hardware and service. And all Macs are getting later renewed this year.

Reactions: BruceEBonus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.