Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
It's great, it reminds me of the set of a 1960s sci-fi for some reason, especially the fully illuminated ceiling.

Which brings me to my only complaint (as an Architect) the dropped ceiling clips the top of the window arches in an incredibly uncomfortable way.

Reactions: adrianlondon

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Sheesh.... All the moans about no new products on display.
For those who have complained... Think what you would be saying if there was a whole raft of new product and only an old outdated store to show it off in....

Can't you complainers wait a week or so? Are you that impatient? If you are then go buy a Dell or HP or some other POS that runs Windows 10.
When you get to my age (retired) you should have learned that good things come to those who wait.

I am retired and waiting is fine but to go 15-18 months without a significant update is unreasonable. Frankly I could care less about the store. The store where I live is too small and it's crowded. It's a crappy experience but I would be there in a second if they had something new that I could experience. I need a new computer badly. I will wait and I won't go to Dell, HP, ASUS. That doesn't mean that I am happy about the wait. Oh yeah, I'll be pissed if the base iMac still has a spinning hard drive. You can remove the headphone jack but you can't get rid of outdated, slow technology like a spinning HD? That's crap and a disservice to Apple's customers and not providing significant value.

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012

Apple today invited journalists to London, England to preview its redesigned Regent Street store, set to open this weekend. Dozens of images have been shared on Twitter and other websites, providing us our first glimpse at the revamped location that's been under construction for more than a year.

apple-regent-street-new-2.jpg

The lower level of the redesigned store (Sebastian Anthony via Twitter)

Apple Regent Street now features Apple's next-generation retail design, previously seen at its flagship Union Square location in San Francisco, including wide, open spaces with indoor trees, sequoia wood tables and shelves for displaying products, a large 6K video screen, and light boxes extending the length of the ceiling.

apple-regent-street-new-3.jpg

Two new side staircases lead to a second level (Ian Betteridge via Twitter)

The location now has a Genius Grove, a section at the center of the store designated for customers to receive support side-by-side with Geniuses under the canopy of local trees. This area is able to accommodate more customers than a traditional Genius Bar commonly found at Apple's other retail locations.

apple-regent-street-new.jpg

Apple's new Regent Street storefront (Nick Dines via Twitter)

In line with remodeling plans filed last year, the storefront is no longer adorned with four Apple logos in each window, but rather a large, white flag with the Apple logo. The central glass staircase has been removed, replaced with two new side staircases that lead to the second level with more product displays and workshop space.

Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts was on hand to preview the new store, designed by Foster and Partners, the award-winning architecture firm behind Apple's upcoming Campus 2 headquarters and Union Square retail location. Apple Regent Street will open its doors to the public on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. local time.

Article Link: Apple Previews Redesigned Flagship Regent Street Store in London

Bottom right hand corner of first photo.....guy interviewing tree!!??

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
For those who have complained... Think what you would be saying if there was a whole raft of new product and only an old outdated store to show it off in....

Can't you complainers wait a week or so? Are you that impatient? If you are then go buy a Dell or HP or some other POS that runs Windows 10.
When you get to my age (retired) you should have learned that good things come to those who wait.

The massive Apple Store in Amsterdam was a marvel to behold when it opened in 2012, one of the last to have been signed off by Jobs himself. Browsing and walking through it was a pleasure, not only for the immaculate interior design or glass stair case. With Apple having just released the retina MBP, iPhone 5S, slim iMacs, the Mac Pro and iPad Air a year after, a visit to the shop was like a sustained Christmas morning.

Fast Forward to late 2016. I walk past often due to the location, and haven't felt like setting foot in more than a year. Except for an inevitable genius bar appointment. I notice a few people aimlessly wandering. No "buzz". There's never been so many items on display and so little energy, the air heavy with "there's nothing new to see here".

Would it make a difference if they furnished the store with a grove? No. Apple Store interiors are anything but dated. Their products are. At the end of the day stores are gadget showrooms for people to see and fiddle with products, not trees. We've waited years for Macs. We'll have to wait another year for a redesigned iPhone. Don't preach about patience please.

Unless Apple makes a paradigm shift on ALL of its product lines, there really is NOTHING to see there.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I had to ask if there was a downstairs showroom. I had to actually ask. There is. Same layout. Huge space. Wooden tables. Same hardware. And a few overpriced accessories dotted around the wall edges. Dull lighting. Oppressive. Windowless. Horrible. And this is the replacement for the old store which I used to actually like.

This used to be the number one place to go when going round the Bull Ring Centre. A bit like Sheffield Meadowhall still is. Not now. I will give the place a wide berth when Brum-centric such was this despondent, Brave New World-esque environment. Too much space. Not enough content.

They did away with most of the third party accessories, which makes the store look even more spartan. And downstairs is depressingly gloomy. I wasn’t thrilled with what Apple did with the premises, which was to minimise its potential. Seems to be the same problem with Regent Street. Replace the spendy glass staircase with potted trees and cut down on floor space. Big whoop.

My main issue with any of the Apple stores that I've been to, is the high level of background noise which makes any conversation with staff/geniuses somewhat challenging at times.
I like the look of the mall stores although a major redesign will be inevitable.

This is somethng I noticed with the newly opened Birmingham, UK store. They removed part of the upper floors creating a huge open space, which is now so echoey that the noise levels are really unpleasant and very reminiscent of the similarly open plan Grand Central station. Both have now greatly reduced floor space and much more noise. Lose/lose all for the sake of natural light, which is only relevant for part of the year this far up in the northern hemisphere. Apple has always valued form over function, so not really surprised.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Ahhh yes, rumored. It's near the middle of the month and no presentation or marketing event has been planned. It's been "rumored" for months. I am sure there will be a shiny new Mac lineup (at least with laptops) but I'm not how you define pretty soon. It's long overdue. One has to wonder whether Apple has a roadmap for each of their product lines and how long of a lead time is needed from one generation to the next. They should worry less about finishes and colors and devote more energy to engineering, design and a flawless release.

Finishes and Mac engineering are not tied resource wise.

Invites usually go out ~10 days before an event. I'm hoping we see them around the 20th. Don't fall for the hype, you won't be so disappointed if you learn to filter the nonsense.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand I seek Abu Ghraib."

Shame for you and your accent. I use and like it. Others do too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/fashion/how-apples-siri-became-one-autistic-boys-bff.html?_r=0

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
So the British get Brexit and a new stores. Is that a treat or a candy store for the devalued Pound?

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
I'm taking a look around tomorrow. I'll enjoy the architecture and that's about it. Because, let's face it...there's nothing else there to get excited about... :rolleyes:

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
They did away with most of the third party accessories, which makes the store look even more spartan. And downstairs is depressingly gloomy. I wasn’t thrilled with what Apple did with the premises, which was to minimise its potential. Seems to be the same problem with Regent Street. Replace the spendy glass staircase with potted trees and cut down on floor space. Big whoop.

This is somethng I noticed with the newly opened Birmingham, UK store. They removed part of the upper floors creating a huge open space, which is now so echoey that the noise levels are really unpleasant and very reminiscent of the similarly open plan Grand Central station. Both have now greatly reduced floor space and much more noise. Lose/lose all for the sake of natural light, which is only relevant for part of the year this far up in the northern hemisphere. Apple has always valued form over function, so not really surprised.

A very informative and helpful reply there. Interesting because I thought it was just me. Gloomy. That was the word I was looking for if not the desired customer experience

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I mostly avoid my local store unless I have to go in there for the inevitable Genius Bar appointment for an under warranty replacement (which is usually every couple of months) or if I want to buy something. Other than that it's just way too busy to even warrant go in there.

There's also this putrid smell of stale sweat in there, that seems to linger mostly around the Genius Bar at the back. It's been there a long while now.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I mostly avoid my local store unless I have to go in there for the inevitable Genius Bar appointment for an under warranty replacement (which is usually every couple of months) or if I want to buy something. Other than that it's just way too busy to even warrant go in there.

There's also this putrid smell of stale sweat in there, that seems to linger mostly around the Genius Bar at the back. It's been there a long while now.

Ugh. Sounds horrid. Hope it's not sulphur.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
I managed to visit the new Regent Street Store on Saturday. Beautiful as it is, I noticed two points worthy of note:

1. It is smaller than before. (20% smaller according to an Apple member of staff I overheard)
2. Admittedly there were a lot of customers at every bench, and the foliage is generous, whilst providing an atmosphere of a temperate house worthy of Kew; I couldn't really see any products. Which felt rather strange.

But let's face it, when Apple's core products now fit in your hand or on your wrist, you don't really need a whole lot of real estate to display them...

(Give me my new Retina MacBook Pro Apple!.... it's mid October...)

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Wait a week for what? Nothing is happening.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Ugh. Sounds horrid. Hope it's not sulphur.

Well I wouldn't like to point the finger at the lovely Geniuses but there's definitely a group of people in there either unwilling or incapable of personal hygiene.
[doublepost=1476696040][/doublepost]
Wait a week for what? Nothing is happening.

Of course it is! Haven't you heard? It's Apple's biggest announcement ever next week. ;)

Seriously though, isn't there meant to be an October keynote? Aren't we expecting new Macs and iPads?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Aren't we expecting new Macs and iPads?

We won't see proper 'new' MacBook Pro's until March 2017 at the earliest as there are no 28w/47w Kaby Lake CPU's available until then.

Of course Apple could ditch the more powerful 28w/47w CPU's found in the Pro's for 15w parts, but this wouldn't make any sense. They could also use Skylake based CPU's which would be scandalous to be using chips for a previous generation in so-called new late 2016 premium priced notebooks.

If Apple do release new Pro machines this year, they should be 100% avoided until the Kaby Lake refresh as they would be nothing more than a stop-gap release.

AdaminOz

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Where's that homeless Macbook Pro guy the Hobo Prep going to live if they are renovating the place? Pretty sad if they move him on. What other stores in London could he live in? The big one at Covent Garden? If anyone in London could go there and get him to come online again I'd be VERY happy because I tried to message him here and then on Reddit but I can't get through to him. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.