Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Hi guys, as many might seen me posting my questions for my new 13" MBA 2012. I haven't purchased any Apple protection care. Do I need it? Today there is an offer to purchase the protection care.

What does the protection care does? what kind of repairs they offer? Can anyone tell me the examples? Since I'm new to Mac, I want to know before I purchase this one.

Note: Usually I'm maintain my electronics very well, so would I need this one?

Thanks

For a single product, I think it is a toss up whether AppleCare is worth the money. The vast majority of Apple products will last the 3 years with no repairs necessary. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you can afford to lose that bet.

With multiple Macs, I figure it's worth getting AppleCare on each one. As other's have stated, there are very few cheap repairs on a Mac. Just one saved repair bill will pay for several AppleCare purchases.

The other feature that AppleCare gives you, that is not talked about much, is that you can call Apple for 3 years about anything to do with the system or Apple software. I've had several SW quirks over the years, and I've been able to get them sorted with a quick call to AppleCare.

Good Luck.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Lol. That's BS. It doesn't matter where it's made. It's the design and manufacturing process, which would be the same if they did it here in the US. It's just cheaper to do in China. And what machines from the 80s are you still running? Lol.

Ever since I became an AmEx holder, AppleCare is worth less to me. I mean, it'd only be 1 extra year of warranty. $200 for the 3rd year, on a machine that costed only $1000-1200 isn't really appealing to me.

Your buying into the Fox News created myth that everything made in China is of comparable quality and costs less to manufacture. There are extreme differences in the manufacturing process, metals and materials used just to name a couple of things that affect the quality of the product.

I know of one laptop maker who had to forgo a certain finish they wanted on their product because the Chinese after months of trying could not replicate the process. A smart phone manufacturer last year had to give up on what might have been a revolutionary design in the shape of phone because the Chinese factory could not make the phone and keep the quality within acceptable tolerances. Funny thing is that prototype models from both companies were made here in the U.S. in a small facility and after rigorous testing held to quality standards. There are more examples of compromises I could name that have to be accepted whenever manufacturing is moved to Chine, but these two should illustrate the point.

As for it being cheaper to make the product there, that is sometimes true and often not. Steve Jobs said in an interview about a year before he died that Apple could make about everything they sell here for the same cost, but they didn't want to. If you are familiar with their last manufacturing facility in California it was highly robotized. Very few humans worked at the plant and none on the assembly line. Your argument then is that the Chinese work cheaper than a robot, which is nonsense.

Lastly, I never said I still used old computers. I said I had some from the 80's, the oldest one from 1986 and another from 1987, that still run. I can't say the same for some of these Chinese made ones that I've bought the last couple of years that have died already.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
It's insurance, plain and simple

Apple bets you will not need it and they will profit from selling it to you. You bet that you will need it and save money in the long run if you have a problem.
Each individual needs to make their own guess. A lot like extended warranties for cars and appliances.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
The problem is you can't really prove that products manufactured in America are made of higher quality than ones made in China, other than your experience of things breaking - which does not always reflect manufacturing quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Apple care replaced on my 2007 mbp.

Screen twice
Hard drive
Main board
DVD drive twice
Top case
Keyboard and trackpad twice
Battery

Best $239 I spent. (buy discounted)

Everything but the ram and bottom case was replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.