Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Some videophiles will notice, but 99.9% of people will not have any problem with iTunes HD. Most wouldn't even notice the difference when placed side by side with a bluray.

i'm sure the millions of people out there with Vizio TV's who still don't use HDMI cables, buy the cheapest A/V equipment, are going to care about the quality difference between a bluray and digital download.

When people are watching full movies on their iPads it is likely true they really don't care.

But if you're going to spend $20 on the movie on iTunes or you can buy the same one on Bluray which includes a digital copy for the same price or cheaper, it makes more sense to buy the physical. Why? Because if you don't care for the physical copy, you can just download the iTunes copy or rip ur own version at a higher quality than the iTunes and just sell the physical copy for $13 easily. You can't do that at all with the digital copy. So even if you onpy want the digital copy and quality isn't even an issue, the physical copy makes more sense.

Digital downloads are such a horrible value it's borderline painful to watch people buy them. (Dramatic comment there) Twenty dollars for a blu-ray, dvd and digital copy is still far more then I will pay and that's full quality with extras and the ability to sell, trade or give it away so twenty for a limited lower quality digital download sounds so over priced when I wait for five dollar used blu-rays. What I pay for tangible goods that are far better then digital downloads is what most want just to rent a film these days.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
are they really such a terrible value? For someone who doesn't want to leave their house to go buy a movie? To wait for it to be shipped from amazon? Is it such a horrible value to download a movie for $20 and start watching it right away??

No, or millions of people wouldn't do it.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
are they really such a terrible value? For someone who doesn't want to leave their house to go buy a movie? To wait for it to be shipped from amazon? Is it such a horrible value to download a movie for $20 and start watching it right away??

well more people prefer to stream movies than to buy them digitally through services like Netflix and the others. This year, so far, streaming revenue is about $1 billion. A smaller group of people choose to buy movies digitally, revenue is about $500 million which includes iTunes and other suppliers will physical format has made close to $4 billion so far this year. So yes there are group of people who prefer a certain service.

----------

When people are watching full movies on their iPads it is likely true they really don't care.

Digital downloads are such a horrible value it's borderline painful to watch people buy them. (Dramatic comment there) Twenty dollars for a blu-ray, dvd and digital copy is still far more then I will pay and that's full quality with extras and the ability to sell, trade or give it away so twenty for a limited lower quality digital download sounds so over priced when I wait for five dollar used blu-rays. What I pay for tangible goods that are far better then digital downloads is what most want just to rent a film these days.
yeah, the value is terrible for download. You can wait a bit and buy the Blu-ray for much cheaper if you dont need the film in a rush.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012

For myself they are a horrible value. For many the convenience appears to outweigh everything else. I likely have to look at it differently. I shop for the best deals that exist on almost everything yet for people that have a budget for most things spending a even a hundred dollars a month on entertainment is likely nothing. Be it rentals or digital downloads. It's likely really small compared to every other bill they have.

That's another thing I have thought of. Depending on the price I prefer my movies be tangible so I could sell, trade or give them away yet I then wonder why it matters so much. By the time that does or has happened there is hardly any value there so why does a little return value on media mean anything based on everything else one does on a monthly basis.

I do love the concept of digital media if done to be liking (they will never get that cheap) I have little interest in filling my home full of stuff.

[/COLOR]yeah, the value is terrible for download. You can wait a bit and buy the Blu-ray for much cheaper if you dont need the film in a rush.

Yep, movie rental prices are about what I would pay for a used blu-ray back when I did.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
....AAAAAND Lion King and Beauty and the Beast are back on my iCloud account.

As always, the physical media pundits blew this one out of proportion. I mean 18 pages long. Whew! Digital movies and TV shows are all doom and gloom. :rolleyes:

Love iCloud and iTunes :D

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010

As always, the physical media pundits blew this one out of proportion. I mean 18 pages long. Whew! Digital movies and TV shows are all doom and gloom. :rolleyes:

Not so much doom and gloom of digital movies sales, just the lack of advantage of paying the same price for an inferior quality. If new a digital movie would cost $7 at the most while the physical edition that includes the same digital copy would cost $20, i could better understand why purchase the iTunes version. But at the same price point, i don't completely get it. For digital media, streaming services will always greatly be picked over the purchased copy.

glad you all got ur movies back :D

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

iTunes is the only place I buy my movies and TV shows from. The quality is great and I don't have to bother with hundreds of DVDs or buying a Blu ray player.

I still have a few movies that I bought that are not in my purchased list in iTunes because they are for rent only. Hopefully I can download them again once the movie is placed for sale once again. Poltergeist 2 was one of these.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Not so much doom and gloom of digital movies sales, just the lack of advantage of paying the same price for an inferior quality. If new a digital movie would cost $7 at the most while the physical edition that includes the same digital copy would cost $20, i could better understand why purchase the iTunes version. But at the same price point, i don't completely get it. For digital media, streaming services will always greatly be picked over the purchased copy. In other words, I used to horde, but now I hate hoarding.

glad you all got ur movies back :D

Firstly, thanks. :D

Secondly, are most digital copies nowadays all in HD? Because if it's in SD, it's not really an advantage to me at all. I'm also OCD about minimalism, and I simply don't like having to store large collection of anything, including movies and TV shows, video games, books, magazines, etc. Which is why I get everything digitally. It saves a ton of space and I don't have to worry about it. I used to own MASSIVE video game and DVD collections, with spine covers splattered on my bookshelves. Now I have almost nothing and it's a breath of fresh air for me. Yea it's my issue, but I feel good about having clean walls.

iTunes is the only place I buy my movies and TV shows from. The quality is great and I don't have to bother with hundreds of DVDs or buying a Blu ray player.

I still have a few movies that I bought that are not in my purchased list in iTunes because they are for rent only. Hopefully I can download them again once the movie is placed for sale once again. Poltergeist 2 was one of these.

That shouldn't be the case. Rent or not, or gone from the iTunes store, all your movies and TV shows should always be in your iCloud account. Case in point: I own the movie, "The Terminal" and it's pulled completely from the iTunes store so you can't even rent or buy it. But it shows up just fine on my iTunes library via iCloud:

The Terminal by IcarasX, on Flickr

So if I were you, I would contact Apple about that.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Firstly, thanks. :D

Secondly, are most digital copies nowadays all in HD? Because if it's in SD, it's not really an advantage to me at all. I'm also OCD about minimalism, and I simply don't like having to store large collection of anything, including movies and TV shows, video games, books, magazines, etc. Which is why I get everything digitally. It saves a ton of space and I don't have to worry about it. I used to own MASSIVE video game and DVD collections, with spine covers splattered on my bookshelves. Now I have almost nothing and it's a breath of fresh air for me. Yea it's my issue, but I feel good about having clean walls.

When I began comparing prices to the movies I bought on Blu-ray, I found all of them to have an HD version on iTunes. Like Breaking Bad, World War Z, Star Trek: Into Darkness to name a few. I guess the other would be comparable of DVD to SD iTunes version. But I do believe that iTunes sells the majority of movies in both HD and SD.

Yeah I get that priorities and interest change in people and others choose to have more space. But I love my walls to look like this :D

2heev4w.jpg

2i9midd.jpg

2jbp9ut.jpg

That was a few months back when I had 288 BD's, now I'm up to 303 BD's. I rather look at a wall like that then a clean wall :D. But I can respect your clean wall too :D and know it's more convinient that way for you. I'm not sure how does the movie collection looks on the icloud.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
When I began comparing prices to the movies I bought on Blu-ray, I found all of them to have an HD version on iTunes. Like Breaking Bad, World War Z, Star Trek: Into Darkness to name a few. I guess the other would be comparable of DVD to SD iTunes version. But I do believe that iTunes sells the majority of movies in both HD and SD.

Yeah I get that priorities and interest change in people and others choose to have more space. But I love my walls to look like this :D

That was a few months back when I had 288 BD's, now I'm up to 303 BD's. I rather look at a wall like that then a clean wall :D. But I can respect your clean wall too :D and know it's more convinient that way for you. I'm not sure how does the movie collection looks on the icloud.

That's cool that there doing that now. It should have been digital HD copies to begin with. Awesome collection. That's exactly how my wall used to like before too :D And Likewise, I respect your interest to amass a physical media collection as well. To each their own. :)

I took a small shot of part of my library in my last post, though I'm not in front of my Mac right now, here's a shot of what my iTunes movies collection looks on my iPhone running iOS 7, which is pretty similar to how it looks in iTunes on a Mac or PC.

Last edited:

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
That's cool that there doing that now. It should have been digital HD copies to begin with. Awesome collection. That's exactly how my wall used to like before too :D And Likewise, I respect your interest to amass a physical media collection as well. To each their own. :)

I took a small shot of part of my library in my last post, though I'm not in front of my Mac right now, here's a shot of what my iTunes movies collection looks on my iPhone running iOS 7, which is pretty similar to how it looks in iTunes on a Mac or PC.

[url=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/10545952075_4d4ed15690_z.jpg]Image[/url]
A glimpse of party of my iTunes movies library on iOS 7 via iCloud. by IcarasX, on Flickr
Nice :D.

That collection looks better than the Ultraviolet codes I began redeeming through Vudu and Flixster. I was going to give it a shot, but they kept on adding free movies I didn't even want and I can't remove :rolleyes:

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida

Beautiful collection!

Im up to about 200 blurays and love every single one of them.
For my kids, I love the iTunes & Vudu digital copies......DONT TOUCH THE MOVIES lol

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Beautiful collection!

Im up to about 200 blurays and love every single one of them.
For my kids, I love the iTunes & Vudu digital copies......DONT TOUCH THE MOVIES lol
Thanks! Been collecting them since 2009. Just found a lot of great deals over the years that helped me buy a lot of movies at a great price.

Lol yeah I understand that "don't touch the movies" feeling :p.

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
Hard drive, or shelf space for that matter,space is not unlimited. One of the many attractions to having your purchased content accessible via the cloud. ;)

I agree its nice, however ALWAYS back up your data. No valid excuses not to. HD space is cheap! Im using a 3TB my book WD and it was $99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.