Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Nice try, iPad is not for serious "computing".

This analyst has been including netbooks. I would argue the same as what you say for netbooks-- they are not for "serious computing". True, they "run Windows", but they are compromised for anything other than web functions, e-mail, notetaking, casual gaming and similar functions--same things as an iPad. Few if any people use them for more than what an iPad does well. In fact, I would argue that an iPad is better at the things that people actual use netbooks for than netbooks are.

Point is, once you open the door to counting netbooks as "computers", you have to start questioning how you define the term "computer". Is it something that runs the same OS as a "real computer", or is it something that is used to accomplish a specific set of functions? This analyst chose the latter approach.

Thought experiment for those who disagree: how many people would actually buy BOTH a netbook and an iPad? And please don't include an Air as a "netbook"-- the Air is a very powerful laptop with some marginally-useful hardware shaved off in order to fit into a small form factor. That's a far cry from Acer's bread and butter $300 "netbook"

Last edited:

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Tesco ranks as the worlds largest supplier of toothpaste, if you include chicken nuggets.

Stupid argument is stupid.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
The same could be said about netbooks.

Uh... no it can't be said. Netbooks have same OS than laptops and desktops, they are independent units, they don't need another computer to set them up or update them etc.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Nice try, iPad is not for serious "computing".

Ha ha! What a nonsensical statement. Do you think every computer is for running AutoCAD or rendering 3D models? The average computer uses a computer for reading email and surfing the web. The iPad can do this easily.

The mythical line between iPad and computer is arbitrary. People are buying iPads instead of netbooks and laptops, and it's working for them. It doesn't matter if it's a companion to your desktop or otherwise. For many people, a laptop is a companion to their desktop computer, but we count those.

So why wouldn't we include iPod touches - well, technically you could, but those are typically used when your real computer is not around. The iPad is used instead of a "real computer" so it counts.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
The question as to wether or not they should be included doesn't have much to do with who they compete with.

Competition is everything when comparing sales! There is no point in comparing the number of bananas sold in Tesco to the number of cars sold by BMW.

However, the words you use show that competition is important-

For some people, the iPad fills their needs for everything they used to use a computer for.

If people buy an iPad because it fills their computing requirements, then it has been in competition with computers. The purchaser has decided not to buy a laptop and to buy an iPad instead. But this is not always the case-

They shouldn't be included because most companies don't really have a similar product to the iPad. It IS a very different product from other PCs out there

This is exactly what I meant. The iPad does not always compete with computers and does not alway not compete with computers! It is a product that can replace a computer or act as a separate iToy. I added the word 'significantly' as massive iPad sales (resulting in the 240% rise for Apple) appear not to have had a massive impact on the other manufacturers, which have all shown decent increases in sales.

Of course the iPad has impacted on computer sales, but there is no easy way to judge the extent, and adding iPad sales to boost Apple's sales by 240% appears from the data to be misleading.

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Point is, once you open the door to counting netbooks as "computers", you have to start questioning how you define the term "computer". Is it something that runs the same OS as a "real computer", or is it something that is used to accomplish a specific set of functions? This analyst chose the latter approach.

Macbook Air 11" is a netbook, and I wouldn't put it in a same category than iPad. Macbook Air is full computer in a small size, it does most of the same things than larger Macbooks, and it can be your only computer. Surely you can do many of those same tasks on iPad, but in my opinion iPad is an accessory.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
It seems most people here don't even know what a 'computer' is. Of course an iPad is a computer. As is an iPod touch, a PlayStation, an Xbox and a Wii. That's not the point. The point is to create some kind of meaningful product sales comparisons, and for that you have to subcategorise. There are many different ways to do that, and you're all entitled to debate the merits of each. But lets not hear any more of this nonsense about the iPad not being a 'computer'!

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Who's really buying HP?

I've never seen someone with a HP laptop or desktop quite sometime now. Not only in US but also in Europe. :confused:

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
So why wouldn't we include iPod touches - well, technically you could, but those are typically used when your real computer is not around. The iPad is used instead of a "real computer" so it counts.

Well, maybe you use your iPod touch like that, but some people may use it instead of a "real computer". The same tasks can be done on iPod touch than on iPad.

mactarkus

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Florida
Times are a changin'

I'm amazed how many people here are so desperately trying to cling to a definition of computer that is quickly changing before our eyes. Yes, the future of computing is lightweight tablets that do everything your PCs once did. It has started with the iPad and each iteration will further shift the focus. I'm surprised nobody has said it can't be called a computer unless you can connect a floppy drive!

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Look you can whine about whether it is fair to lump ipad in or not.

The fact is that it is useful to look at the sales numbers using various categories. When you want to zero in on traditional desktop and laptop computers then of course you leave out the ipad.

But if you are looking at sales of devices on which people spend time checking email, browsing the web, playing media and being creative then of course you want to expand the category to include the ipad.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Please explain. You need to activate Windows using Internet, but you never need another computer to activate it. iPad can't be used until you have installed iTunes to another computer and connected iPad to that computer.

You do realize that needing to "activate Windows using Internet" is actually connecting it to another computer with specific software installed? ;) I understand the distinction that was trying to be made, but I don't think it's a significant point.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Uh... no it can't be said. Netbooks have same OS than laptops and desktops, they are independent units, they don't need another computer to set them up or update them etc.

Except the point I was responding to said "They're an extension to a computer - very few people use them as their only machine. And... it serves a completely different market than PCs do."

All of those things can be said about netbooks to the same degree as an iPad.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
You do realize that needing to "activate Windows using Internet" is actually connecting it to another computer with specific software installed? ;) I understand the distinction that was trying to be made, but I don't think it's a significant point.

You do realize that you can activate you Windows copy via phone as well?

Sorry, but that is really the most bizarre argument. Windows activation has really nothing to do with the limitations of the iPad as a standalone "computer".

T.

Gauthic

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Until we are free to install an ARM version of Linux or Windows (or whatever) on an iPad, it's not a general purpose computer it's a closed (but very handy) appliance.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
exactly. they say iPad has 80% (or more) of the tablet market , and they don't even count windows tablets as tablets. and now they're counting iPad as a pc? WTF?

It's called a market analysis. A product can compete in different markets. The two markets that the iPad has been discussed in are the overall PC market and a newly invented "media tablet" market. There is no hypocrisy in the fact that these markets overlap.

Banana market share can be analyzed in the "fruit" market or the larger "fresh produce market."

You do realize that you can activate you Windows copy via phone as well?

Sure, but I was just making the point that activation is not really a significant issue as to what market an iPad competes in.

Sorry, but that is really the most bizarre argument. Windows activation has really nothing to do with the limitations of the iPad as a standalone "computer".

It's "limitations" are only significant depending on what you use it for. An iPad can be used as a standalone computer for a lot of people. But, again, that has little to do with what market it competes in. Second or third computers are still counted in the PC market.

Last edited by a moderator:

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
sounds good
keep chipping away at win/pc
we still have a long way to go though
gotta say - aapl tablet was truly a game changer - it took aapl to bring the tablet into the mass market where all others have fallen flat - and now trying to catch up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.