Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Although I have had some instances where I have to try 2-3 time to get it to recognize my fingerprint, I have generally found it to work well. At work we have to badge and fingerprint to get into the building and it works way worse than the touchID. I use this so much that when I use my wife's 5c, I sit there and wait try to get it to recognize my fingerprint several time before I remember that she doest have touchID on her phone. Always feel slightly embarrassed. :eek:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It works but Apple put a stupid requirement that if you haven't used TouchID purchase something within 2 days (or something), it will ask you for your password.

Which is asinine because, who buys something every other day from iTunes/App store? Also, if you have TouchID setup, you already have to unlock your iPhone (either with TouchID or passcode), so why wouldn't using your fingerprint work to purchase after you already unlocked your iPhone??

Ya, screw Apple for caring about your purchase security. They should just let you buy stuff without asking for ANY type of password or fingerprint. I mean, you already unlocked the device, so why not just bypass the password/TouchID everywhere!.....:rolleyes:

Lots of needed sarcasm on this thread.....

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome. I hope they can fix the issue with a software update. I loved Touch ID at first but over time it quit working so I had to turn it off.

suprakc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
Utah
I don't seem to have many issues with mine.

Considering I probably scan hundreds of times every day, it only fails maybe 10 percent of the time, if that.

But to eliminate those few times is great!

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.

Letting trolls like you post on this site is by far the worst mistake Macrumors has made. It has caused more issues than it has solved.

Last edited:

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Letting you trolls like you post on this site is by far the worst mistake Macrumors has made. It has caused more issues that it has solved.

Letting wiz329 reply to my post on this site is by far the worst mistake Macrumors has made. It has caused more issues than it has solved.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
It works but Apple put a stupid requirement that if you haven't used TouchID purchase something within 2 days (or something), it will ask you for your password.

Which is asinine because, who buys something every other day from iTunes/App store? Also, if you have TouchID setup, you already have to unlock your iPhone (either with TouchID or passcode), so why wouldn't using your fingerprint work to purchase after you already unlocked your iPhone??

I suspect this might change in the future. Apple tried to be super careful in how touch id may be used and they were still slammed in the media because it's supposedly so insecure. The insanity seems to have died down - Samsung's fingerprint system in S5 is much more permissive and there hasn't been a peep against it. I expect Apple will expand touch id usage in ios 8.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Ya, screw Apple for caring about your purchase security. They should just let you buy stuff without asking for ANY type of password or fingerprint. I mean, you already unlocked the device, so why not just bypass the password/TouchID everywhere!.....:rolleyes:

Lots of needed sarcasm on this thread.....

Yes, twist what I said to make yourself sound cool! You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

If I have a passcode and Touch ID to unlock my iPhone, why can't I use my TouchID to purchase something exactly? So, I go unlock my iPhone with TouchID, now why can't I purchase something with it?

My issue is why does the option of using TouchID expire after 48 hours? It seems more like an oversight than security issue; remember when Apple made you type in your iTunes passcode for every app purchase you make in a row (now, they have that 15 minute window where you only have to type in your passcode one).

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
My wife doesn't even use it, it just doesn't work for her at all... I find that (as has been mentioned) if your fingers are slightly wet from sweat it doesnt work. There are times when it just flat out won't work for me... I also find if you get swollen, from eating too much salt (think MSG) or whatever, it won't work either. Glad to see this being addressed.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I use the touch sensor extensively. I experienced the fade, for me, the following trick works:

o Turn off the fingerprint sensor. Delete all fingerprint data.

o Re-enable the fingerprint sensor. Re-train it.

...For me, this fixed the issue, and it's stayed fixed.

PsychoLogicXen

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Orange County, CA
The Touch ID reliability on my 5S dropped significantly in mid-December and it's been terrible ever since.

Just like the post says, deleting and retraining the same fingerprint only works for a little while, then it "forgets" it again. I really hope this update drops soon.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I haven't heard of this. I got my 5s when it came out and TouchID has worked flawlessly since.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I suspect this might change in the future. Apple tried to be super careful in how touch id may be used and they were still slammed in the media because it's supposedly so insecure. The insanity seems to have died down - Samsung's fingerprint system in S5 is much more permissive and there hasn't been a peep against it. I expect Apple will expand touch id usage in ios 8.
Right, I think this first go-round was to check its security with millions of users, any production issues, and so on. So they only allowed it to unlock their own products - the phone and iTunes. This year, I bet we will see it open up quite a bit. The end goal being online sales and to use it with iBeacon at point of sale terminals.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Wow. Exaggerate much?

Touch ID is fantastic. By far my favorite part of the 5S. Mine had gone into serious fade until a few weeks ago, when I had my iPhone swapped out. It has been working pretty much flawlessly since. In fact, early on (pre fade) I would have issues getting mine to work after I got out of the shower. Finger wrinkles would throw it off. Now it's much more reliable in that regard.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Really??? News to me! After 2 months with my new 5S, I've never had a problem. Must be something in the air? :)

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Rather than add to the fruitless debate about whether touchID is useless, surely we all can recognise that Apple appears to think it can be made better. Good.

I would like to move the discussion to what might be going wrong. I wonder if there is some sort of issue with the way that Apple is creating the template against which the fingerprint is compared. I suspect they are experiencing drift due to the different positions and fingers and possibly confusing fingerprints from different digits. If so, it is possible that Apple will have to change hardware to reduce noise and to collect data from a greater surface area of the digit. If so, the next home button will be bigger.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I bet the 'fix' would be to make the parameters less % match for successful unlock. I think the average person that has never dealt too much w electronics just fails to teach it properly.

----------

lmao nOpE sorry try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.